Captain
# 11
02-05-2013, 02:25 PM
I think I get where you're coming from in the OP and to that I have to say "To Helna and Back" to me is definitely there. Havraha may have a Helna Captain character but, to me, she will always be that little ever present duty officer who's friends with my tactical officer.

I think the way in my head I always look to categorize missions I play is asking if this mission belongs as part of the games' story. Like, if it should stand right up there with the cryptic content if the author bit was removed. After all, your toon can discover the reason behind Romulus' destruction, personally, in the mission line but it's different entirely if you consider it "Character History" or not.

To that end, "First Cause, Then Effect" and "Worst of All Worlds" (Just Part 1) are on my list too. I would also put my mission, "Personal Reflection" on there, mainly because I designed it because I felt that mission -needed- to happen and was upset when cryptic didn't have one for me.

I'll be honest when I say I'd only want to see the Barclay's Daughter missions on there because then it would then mean they were official. xD

Last edited by designationxr377; 02-05-2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: To add Some Ego
Commander
# 12
02-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by designationxr377 View Post
I think I get where you're coming from in the OP and to that I have to say "To Helna and Back" to me is definitely there. Havraha may have a Helna Captain character but, to me, she will always be that little ever present duty officer who's friends with my tactical officer.

I think the way in my head I always look to categorize missions I play is asking if this mission belongs as part of the games' story. Like, if it should stand right up there with the cryptic content if the author bit was removed. After all, your toon can discover the reason behind Romulus' destruction, personally, in the mission line but it's different entirely if you consider it "Character History" or not.

To that end, "First Cause, Then Effect" and "Worst of All Worlds" (Just Part 1) are on my list too. I would also put my mission, "Personal Reflection" on there, mainly because I designed it because I felt that mission -needed- to happen and was upset when cryptic didn't have one for me.

I'll be honest when I say I'd only want to see the Barclay's Daughter missions on there because then it would then mean they were official. xD
Personal Reflection and the Barclay's Daughter missions, for sure (my daughter loves the Barclay missions ).
Career Officer
# 13
02-05-2013, 05:42 PM
The Ghosts of War series that I wrote (and expect to complete in the next week or two) is canon for my main toon, Vice Admiral Drayton. Especially Part V, in which I painstakingly recreated Drayton (and temporarily busted him back down to Captain for story purposes) and his flagship (USS Pax Federatica, which of course is also my usernamesake) as NPCs.
Survivor of Romulus
# 14
02-06-2013, 04:41 AM
If i enjoy it... its canon.. if I dont... (which is rare.. love playing foundry episodes) then I imagen im stuck watching a kazon episode of voyager.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-09-2013, 01:12 AM
Avenging resolution. Captain Kull was awesome.

Last edited by afreeby; 02-09-2013 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Got told.
Lieutenant
# 16
02-09-2013, 05:43 AM
The main problem I run into with this (and admittedly it's a challenge of making Foundry missions) is Foundry authors trying to write the stories for my boffs, which results in emotional outbursts on my vulcans, and family references for android characters.

I wish there was an easier way to include boff backstories into a foundry mission to give them more personality, but it's virtually impossible.

I did like what they did with "Temporal Ambassador" though. Something like that could never be done in the Foundry.
Career Officer
# 17
02-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaitu View Post
I did like what they did with "Temporal Ambassador" though. Something like that could never be done in the Foundry.

Well, it could, just not with the current tools available to the Foundry. But I can see no reason why we couldn't at some point have ground maps with no away team and BOffs available as NPC contacts.

"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Career Officer
# 18
02-09-2013, 12:29 PM
There have been a few foundry missions that I consider to be bad dreams just because the dialogue was so out of character for the toon that played it. Most of these are on the KDF side and stem from the player's (who is assumed to be a typical Klingon warrior by the author) interaction with Gorn NPCs. But my KDF main is Gorn, so having another Gorn refer to him as "the oppressor of my people" is just weird.

"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Career Officer
# 19
02-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaitu View Post
The main problem I run into with this (and admittedly it's a challenge of making Foundry missions) is Foundry authors trying to write the stories for my boffs, which results in emotional outbursts on my vulcans, and family references for android characters.

I wish there was an easier way to include boff backstories into a foundry mission to give them more personality, but it's virtually impossible.

This is how I feel and why I don't play them too much. One of the missions that made the spotlight had my Jem'Hadar acting like a character out of a Naruto episode too.
Captain
# 20
02-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
There have been a few foundry missions that I consider to be bad dreams just because the dialogue was so out of character for the toon that played it. Most of these are on the KDF side and stem from the player's (who is assumed to be a typical Klingon warrior by the author) interaction with Gorn NPCs. But my KDF main is Gorn, so having another Gorn refer to him as "the oppressor of my people" is just weird.
There were some I considered "holonovels" my character played, because they either had my captain or my BOFFs acting in an out-of-character, unprofessional way.

The kind of issue you bring up, though, is why I write branching dialogue, which allows the player to customize the experience for his or her captain, sometimes even the BOFFs. But yeah, I agree that except in some very special circumstances (such as your toon explicitly being in a holonovel playing someone else's role), writing a backstory for someone's captain or BOFFs could really backfire and throw the player out of the story.
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com