Captain
# 51
02-09-2013, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
Yeah...and while I doubt that happened, by the 24th century, it does show the extremes to which we can go in forgetting the reality of historical events.
Oh absolutely. There're several historical sites near where I live, and while they're open to the public, they're certainly advertised as 'venues for family lols'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
While I kind of see what you mean, I think that in part it's DS9's episode "Cardassians" that left a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to that sort of thing. Rugal Pa'Dar definitely came off as having been brainwashed--either by his adoptive parents or by the society around him, depending on who you believe was responsible for the abuses against him--into a very self-destructive mindset regarding his identity.
I have to admit, I'd actually forgetten that episode, so there was no inspiration from Rugal in Meliden, but yes, it was definitely an emotionally challenging episode. Even though the Federation has often been at odds with Cardassia, for the most part, Humans have not suffered as directly at Cardassian hands in the same extended way as Bajorans have, so Meliden's parents would have no latent hostility toward Cardassians, but rather view her (and them as a people) solely as victims of the Dominion's brutality. Of course, on a personal level, I think that her parents probably would have tried to make her aware of Cardassian culture, but she utterly rejected it as being at odds with her day to day reality, so while she might not have been overtly brainwashed/indoctrinated into Human culture by her adoptive parents, it was certainly the life she chose herself. Given how her mother reacted during their last call, I'm sure she would have something to say

Last edited by marcusdkane; 02-09-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Captain
# 52
02-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Having completely redone my KDF Bravok in terms of appearance, personality and background for the anniversary mission, and then saying the alternate version is the one that returned to the main sto timeline after the mission was complete, this story is perfect for letting me expand on that and have an actual reason for why Bravok didn't go back to normal when the timeline reset.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Captain
# 53
02-09-2013, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grylak View Post
Having completely redone my KDF Bravok in terms of appearance, personality and background for the anniversary mission, and then saying the alternate version is the one that returned to the main sto timeline after the mission was complete, this story is perfect for letting me expand on that and have an actual reason for why Bravok didn't go back to normal when the timeline reset.
That was some badass action
Captain
# 54
02-09-2013, 06:38 PM
Captain
# 55
02-10-2013, 03:09 AM
@ hfmudd;
Awesome entry I'd love to know who Rain was, and when she was from, but of course, it doesn't really matter to the story, just as it doesn't matter what tragedy is due to befall Manhattan, but it was a fantastic entry
Commander
# 56
02-10-2013, 03:30 AM
Thank you.
The whole thing is a great big game of 'spot the reference'; I think I managed to get something in there from every series, even Enterprise if you squint. (Always with the hats.)
Rain has appeared before, as has her supervisor, Roberta. As for the significance of the date... well, count backwards from First Contact.

Last edited by hfmudd; 02-10-2013 at 03:33 AM.
Captain
# 57
02-10-2013, 04:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfmudd View Post
Thank you.
The whole thing is a great big game of 'spot the reference'; I think I managed to get something in there from every series, even Enterprise if you squint. (Always with the hats.)
Yes, I liked that little touch

Quote:
Rain has appeared before, as has her supervisor, Roberta.
Oh man, now I'm going to have to read back through all your past entries to satisfy my curiousity

Quote:
As for the significance of the date... well, count backwards from First Contact.
Hmm, I'm not much of a mathmagician... Is the suggestion that the Borg sphere didn't only shoot at Montana, before being destroyed?
Captain
# 58
02-10-2013, 05:13 AM
RAIN ROBINSON!!!!!

Awesome. Always loved that character. I missed most of the other references, but I know what disaster is about to hit. Makes sense New York gets it in one of the opening volleys.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Starfleet Veteran
# 59
02-10-2013, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Hmm, I'm not much of a mathmagician... Is the suggestion that the Borg sphere didn't only shoot at Montana, before being destroyed?
The tragedy that was about to hit in mudd's entry will be the opening volley of a war, the third of its kind, the second of which ended in 1945.

And it seems that NYC gets devastated in said opening volley.

Very good story, mudd.
Originally KiraYamato before the Account Linking - True Join Date August 2008

"In the game of war, there are no clear rules you can follow." - Andrew Waltfeld
Captain
# 60
02-10-2013, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi6 View Post
The tragedy that was about to hit in mudd's entry will be the opening volley of a war, the third of its kind, the second of which ended in 1945.

And it seems that NYC gets devastated in said opening volley.

Very good story, mudd.
Ahh, gotcha I have to admit, the specific event itself didn't really matter, as the sense of impending dread was certainly more than enough to carry the story, I was just curious as to what was being referred to I loved the idea that the crew were archiving information which would likely have been lost