# 11
02-09-2013, 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chokopop1 View Post
And she isn't even that good looking.
Her knees are way too sharp!
# 12
02-09-2013, 07:21 AM
TOS: Never watched it. I know ... blasphemie!

TNG: Everyone except Worf, Yar and Riker. This show just took the overall peaceful do-gooders road way to far for my taste.

DS9: Every. Friggin'. Bajoran. Also Rom and Jake.

VOY: Neelix, Kes, the Doctor, all children and Harry Kim. Neelix in particular was IMHO like the Trek version of Jar Jar Binks, less stupid but equally annoying.

ENT: I liked the cast (blasphemie No 2!). There were some flaws here and there in their overall characters but there was no one I really disliked.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-09-2013, 09:25 AM
I always find it interesting to hear what other people thought. Different strokes and all, some people dislike characters I liked and vice versa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
Regular cast only

TOS- Chapel. All she did was pine away for Spock. The TOS women were only there to keep it from being a sausage party so its hard to blame them.
I can almost give Chapel a pass because of the time when the show was written. But you're right, and I always wondered why she had a crush on SPock, who didn't even bother to try showing interest in her. Maybe its one of those "Once you go Vulcan you never go back" things....

Quote:
TNG- Yar and Pulaski. Sorry. Roddenberry's version of "strong woman" was grating. Pity after her and Pulaski women would be nothing but mother hens or evil seccubai in the show and this aspect was dropped. Everything else improved after he was pushed out and its a shame that how women were presented didn't.
I think I read once that Denise Crosby left the show because her character was really not developing and served the same function as Worf. I could be wrong. She does have the distinction of the first regular trek cast member to be killed off. Pulaski was nothing more than a McCoy clone, and as someone said she was forgettable. Hey, be careful what you say about Gene Roddenberry. Back when the game launched I commented on how I thought some of Gene's ideas and concepts were a bit silly and hardcore fans would have been on my lawn with torches and pitchforks if they knew where I lived. . (For the record, I agree with what you said....I think the franchise got better once they "kicked Gene upstairs".)

Quote:
DS9- Jake. Aside for "The Visitor" the character never developed beyond "Sisko's Son". Even Morn had more character. Lots of potential there too.
I dunno...I think Jake was okay. He could have probably used a bit more development (he seemed like a lazy slacker as he got older) but I didn't dislike him.

Quote:
Voy- Seven. While most of the standout episodes of later seasons revolved around her, she still suffered from the same paint by numbers characterization of the rest of the characters without the initials EMH in their name. But since the focus was on her, she became the Poochie
VOY became the 7of9 show and I really did not like that. I prefer a 7of9 episode over a Neelix episode still. Someone mentioned Chakotay, and I can only say his characters failing was that he wasn't given enough to do. I did not like Kim very much, but he wasn't a bad character....I didn't like Belanna Torres much because she was too much like Worf Lite 2.0.

Quote:
Ent- I have to be honest and say that the crew were various shades of drying paint and its easier to just say the occasional Shran episode was the only reason to watch the show.
I still think Travis was the worst.
Captain
# 14
02-09-2013, 09:53 AM
T'pol is the worst character bar none! If you want to see a good vulcan portrayal take Nimoy's spock or Russ's Tuvok they manage to make these stiff characters come to life and even have little nuances. T'pol was terribly portrayed I cannot stand the actresses broken whiney voice. She has even went on the record as being a Trek fan so face it girl you may be pretty but you cannot act.

Give Rand a break she was passable and sadly the actress was sexually assaulted during the production of the show.

I never liked Tasha Yar she makes a decent NPC contact though

Worf was your bland cookie cutter honorable warrior type that is done to death. I only like the little humor bits done with the character.

The Sisko, the most annoying Samuel L Jackson impression ever.

Janeways stupid command choices without considering alternatives. A half Maquis would have mutinied in the first season.If better written the actress (sorry forgot the name) had the chops to give a nuanced performance but they wrote her as a Katherine Hepburn impersonator with bad leadership skills.

Kai Wynn is a good Villain. An evil religious leader is a realistic villain just look at history. DS9 has a real touch of realism too it, the villains pretend to be benevolent.

And of course LuwuxannaTroi!!!! I know she was a guest star but all I can say is I liked the computer better.

Oh and Guinnan is annoying too I never needed to know how close her and Picard were *shudders*.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR

Last edited by lincolninspace; 02-09-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Captain
# 15
02-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Just to touch on a few of the above points...
Yar... Yes, Denise Crosby left the show because she didn't like how Tasha was being written, but always wanted to return to the show, and was responsible for the creation of Sela...

Chakotay... I never really had any beef with him as a character, but I have read that Robert Beltran had said that he didn't give 100% to the role, so I can understand why people may think Chakotay as a pretty lacklustre character.

On a personal level, I much prefer Tuvok over Spock. As he was only half-Vulcan, Spock was always trying to behave as the Ultimate Vulcan so as to not be questioned about his Human heritage. Tuvok, on the other hand, was fully Vulcan and over twice Spock's age (at the time of TOS) so he was never 'trying to be Vulcan', he simply Was

Last edited by marcusdkane; 02-09-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolninspace View Post
T'pol is the worst character bar none! If you want to see a good vulcan portrayal take Nimoy's spock or Russ's Tuvok they manage to make these stiff characters come to life and even have little nuances. T'pol was terribly portrayed I cannot stand the actresses broken whiney voice. She has even went on the record as being a Trek fan so face it girl you may be pretty but you cannot act.
I'd have to disagree. On T'Pol at least.

Quote:
Give Rand a break she was passable and sadly the actress was sexually assaulted during the production of the show.
I've also heard it said she had some kind of drug/alcohol addiction. It was the 60s though, so thats not really hard to believe.

Quote:
I never liked Tasha Yar she makes a decent NPC contact though
Yar was underused and underwritten.

Quote:
Worf was your bland cookie cutter honorable warrior type that is done to death. I only like the little humor bits done with the character.
Once Worf became Security Chief he was able to offer the insights into Klingon culture....of course they used that too much in the shows run, but he wasn't a bad character. I wasn't a fan of the humor bits myself. They always made Worf look like a dumbass.

Quote:
The Sisko, the most annoying Samuel L Jackson impression ever.
Nah, the only thing they have in common is that they're both bald black guys. I actually liked Sisko character and the way he was portrayed. To be honest he was more interesting than "Mister Perfect" Picard. (I know a lot of people aren't gonna like that, but its the way I feel about it.

Quote:
Janeways stupid command choices without considering alternatives. A half Maquis would have mutinied in the first season.If better written the actress (sorry forgot the name) had the chops to give a nuanced performance but they wrote her as a Katherine Hepburn impersonator with bad leadership skills.
I don't have issues with Kate Mulgrew's performance, but Janeway was written badly most of the time.

Quote:
Kai Wynn is a good Villain. An evil religious leader is a realistic villain just look at history. DS9 has a real touch of realism too it, the villains pretend to be benevolent.
You want to talk about poor acting? Woof, the actress that played Winn was horrible! Dukat was a better villain in the show. Winn had her place as a villain, but Dukat was deliciuosly evil.

Quote:
And of course LuwuxannaTroi!!!! I know she was a guest star but all I can say is I liked the computer better.
Oh yeah, I usually skipped Laxwanna Troi episodes.

Quote:
Oh and Guinnan is annoying too I never needed to know how close her and Picard were *shudders*.
I didn't mind Guinan so much but then she really had very little screen time if you think about it.
Career Officer
# 17
02-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Janeway. Ruined a whole series all by herself.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty8mac View Post
Janeway. Ruined a whole series all by herself.
Not by herself....I've already said it, but the Doctor was one of the stupidest concepts for the show. The idea that he was "sentient" really really ruins the show for me, and Voyager is admittedly, my least favorite series already. I don't care if he is a hologram, the entire "He's a person" thing they kept pushing on the show was, in my opinion, ridiculous. I think if they had dropped that aspect it would have been better.

But then, I think the entrie Voyager series could have been easily improved by just placing it in an "unknown and unexplored" region of space, but not totally isolated from the Federation. (meaning they can contact SF but it might take days or weeks). The ship is there to explore, just like Kirk did, and seek out new life and new civilizations. That way they could have had the same "we're on our own" thing and still introduce characters like Neelix and (ugh) Kes, and villains like the Hirogen and the Kazon through subplots or an over all story arc without writing themselves to much in a corner. (a bonus id allowing well known villains like the romulans and klingons to show up without some technobabble or wierd anomoly)

Well, as I said, its my opinion and we all them. Among trek fans there are probably a few thousand ideas for shows and characters.
Empire Veteran
# 19
02-09-2013, 07:19 PM
[quote=sparklysoldier;

VOY - Seven of Nine. It's a shame because she has a lot of interesting story elements and good character moments, but most of the time she had no personality and the way the show practically fetishized her was just embarrassing. At first I thought the problem lay with Jeri Ryan, but after seeing her on other shows, and playing an emotional Seven in "The Killing Game,"it's not her, it's just how the character's written.

ENT - T'Pol for being fetishized maybe even more than Seven, and having the same lack of personality (and whereas Seven at least had lots of interesting background stuff to work with like her parents, T'Pol's got nothing going on). She'd started to improve a little as the show went on, though, and I think if it'd lasted a full seven seasons she might have pulled a Troi and turned the character around.[/QUOTE]

Dude were you even paying attention!? Sevn of Nine and Tpol didn't.have personalities because they never had emotions! I mean tpol might be characterized as a typical arrogant Vulcan and 7 had no emotions for years and is trying to adapt to being human so you can't blame her for not having a personalities. But I do agree with you that they were over fetishized.
Empire Veteran
# 20
02-09-2013, 07:21 PM
And to all you haters of the doctor I say, do you also hate Data?! Its the same concept!