Captain
# 1 Should kits become Tricorders?
02-09-2013, 08:42 PM
I think that we can mostly agree that the kits, particularly the ones with the holographic bits, look like nothing from the Trek universe. I know they were based off of the kits from Elite Force, but that game was pushing canon to begin with. Most of them are rather ugly anyway, and the only one I would really miss is that one engineering backpack that goes so well with the Ghostbusters Gun.

Cryptic said that they wanted to change how kits worked anyway, so changing them into tricorders would allow Cryptic to fix a lot of tricorder/kit related bugs and add a lot of stuff to the game.

First and foremost this would allow Cryptic to put in more than one tricorder model. This would allow Klingons and Romulans to have their actual respective tricorder models (it also makes them available for current and future reputation projects as well....). This would also allow for TOS and other Tv show themed tricorders and kits.

Secondly, it would give this game more of a Trek feel, which most of can agree that this is something the game is lacking.

Thirdly, it could also be used to change how a lot of ground powers look and function. Particularly toning down the amount of VFX that can exist on the screen at a given time. Currently ground combat can quickly turn into a haphazard mess of neon colours and flying VFX. I did a foundry mission a few days ago, and I remember that there was a smokescreen set up, and I couldn't see it until I died.

Fourth and finally, it could be an excuse to create more tricorder/scanning related mini-games and puzzles.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Commander
# 2
02-09-2013, 08:45 PM
Dude, whenever I read your posts I always wind up reading in a "Khan voice"
Ik, Ik, off topic, but I had to say it.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
02-09-2013, 08:57 PM
I didnt know Tricorders were grenade launchers since Tac Officers get grenades with their kits. I can agree with the notion of changing kit powers to be more visually appropriate but changing them all to Tricorders alone wont work.
Career Officer
# 4
02-09-2013, 09:20 PM
I could see Tricoders being a seperate slot or if there is ever customizable kits, a Tricorder slot. Afterall, there are various kinds of Tricorders and functions.
Captain
# 5
02-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by causalityeffect View Post
I didnt know Tricorders were grenade launchers since Tac Officers get grenades with their kits. I can agree with the notion of changing kit powers to be more visually appropriate but changing them all to Tricorders alone wont work.
True...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
I could see Tricoders being a seperate slot or if there is ever customizable kits, a Tricorder slot. Afterall, there are various kinds of Tricorders and functions.
Oh, I see where you're coming from, and I like it very much. I could see a Tricorder and some kind of tool slot, but what else would be there?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 6
02-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Kits feel like a natural development of where Starfleet was going by the end of DS9 to me. Since STO is set in the Star Trek future, I don't think it's that radical.

There was that episode of DS9 where Nog got injured, with all the Starfleet forces holed up in some godforsaken facility facing a Jem'Hadar ground assault. I seem to recall the Starfleet forces on that planet had something akin to a basic kit they were using/developing to boost their installation defenses, that felt something like a basic Fabrication Engineer setup.

Nothing as fancy as that crazy Romulan Embassy engineer kit, but it was "early days" for that sort of modular military technology being brought into Starfleet.

They may not be canon in the purest sense, but it feels like a fairly logical jump to me from where Star Trek left off on TV to where the game is set now. Similar to how Starfleet had no dedicated "warships" for ages before the Defiant came along, it makes sense they'd have to enhance their ground equipment as well.

Also let's not kid ourselves. The lack of things like kits on the TV shows has more to do with budgetary restraints of TV, than it does with being in any way sensible or realistic. There's no way we're not going to have gadgets coming out the wazoo in the 24th century.
--------------------------------------

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom

Last edited by tsurutafan01; 02-10-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Commander
# 7 I Love It
02-10-2013, 11:38 AM
I see what you mean about the feel of Star Trek.

Perhaps making a new slot for Tricorders is the Future. Move some of the abilities over from the Kits or even open up a whole new dimension to gameplay.
Better Tricorder means longer range sensors, easier or higher awarding mini-games and scanning an enemy will modulate your weapon with a bonus, (+15 Damage to Race).

Perhaps the MACO and OMEGA Tricorders could be on the wrists and an Assimilated Tricocorder can replace the Frequency Remodulator!?

On that note... why isn't Starfleet Armour Technology... they have already mass-produced the Tricobalt Torpedo on a lower yield, (Compared to in ST:VOY).
ATTENTION: UNDINE SPACE & TKON GROUND SETS ALL THE WAY DEVS!.. Q-TRIBBLE, MAYBE!?.. EJECT WARP CORE ABILITY LIKE LAYING A SUPER-MINE, HELL YES!!!.. SPACE HIPPIES FROM TOS PLAYING MUSIC IN OUR FLEET STARBASE, NO, JUST, NO... CAIT & RA'KHOLN ADVENTURE ZONE, YES

Starfleet Veteran
# 8
02-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
This. Very much this.

If there were a tricorder equipment slot in addition to the weapons, armor, etc. that ordinarily go on the paperdoll, that would be exceptional.

Each tricorder might come with a faction-specific trait or ability, a career-specific trait/ability, and a specialized trait/ability. They might grant powers, passives, or other specialized bonuses.

Definitely more Trek, and could really add to the ground play experience.
Starships: Model errors and feedback project, 2410 edition.
Captain
# 9
02-10-2013, 11:54 AM
I think Science captains should get tricorders at least.
Commander
# 10
02-10-2013, 12:26 PM
No. I love how the kits look, personally. I like my science kits with the photonic holographic armor stuff. I want to keep 'em.