Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Commander
Going back some years ago now,I used to play a trekky game called birth of the federation.
Inclusive of the federation,it had all the usual races in it too.
Many of you will remember what it was like,and i personally thought it alot of fun.
Call it wishful thinking,but it would be nice if the devs could reactive this type of game.

Also there was a trekky colony game.
It goes that a secret romulan weapon was being developed,but it exploded,riping open an area of space,allowing new planets and solar systems to enter our universe.
It was the onjective of all races to colonize as many planets as possible,and mine and defend them.

It would be nice to see these 2 games brought back if its ever possible.
Empire Veteran
# 2
02-10-2013, 06:00 AM
I remember BOTF, it was a cool turned based strategy game even if some of the details were a little off (I remember their fed ships all had blue phaser beam arrays ) It would be cool to see a remake of it though on a modern engine to do it justice.

The other game you are talking about was a ground based RTS called Star Trek New worlds. It was ok as well.
I think I still have a original copy of the game somewhere thinking about it, I doubt it will work on win 7 though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_New_Worlds
Rihannsu
# 3
02-10-2013, 06:13 AM
So OP, in other words you would like for Ford Motor Company to make a Corvette, or Porsche 911? Maybe Chevrolet can make some Mustangs or Lamborghini's? Or even better still, Hyundai can start making F150 Trucks and Silverados!

Those games that you mention are owned by other companies and Cryptic's ST IP license does NOT allow them to "remake" those older games.

Yes they may have been fun. At least BOTF was to me. I don't know about the other game as I never played it or even heard of it before your posting.

Zipagat - Under Win7 you can run XP Mode or an XP virtual computer that could possibly allow you to enjoy those games again. I can't go into technical details here in the forums, but the information is available out on the web to set up and run these two features available in Win7/8.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-10-2013, 06:18 AM
Star Trek New Worlds had a great soundtrack but it was a pretty terrible game Far to slow and the unit balance was horrid.
http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Thomas45-STO.png

{UFP}Thomas45 - Thomas Nixon U.S.S. Majesty Unbound
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
02-10-2013, 06:42 AM
Somehow I've managed to miss all previous Star Trek games, before STO..
Atleast I can't recall any. hmm

*Wonders why I made this post.*
Career Officer
# 6
02-10-2013, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrona View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...mmercial_games
Empire Veteran
# 7
02-10-2013, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyryck View Post
So OP, in other words you would like for Ford Motor Company to make a Corvette, or Porsche 911? Maybe Chevrolet can make some Mustangs or Lamborghini's? Or even better still, Hyundai can start making F150 Trucks and Silverados!

Those games that you mention are owned by other companies and Cryptic's ST IP license does NOT allow them to "remake" those older games.

Yes they may have been fun. At least BOTF was to me. I don't know about the other game as I never played it or even heard of it before your posting.

Zipagat - Under Win7 you can run XP Mode or an XP virtual computer that could possibly allow you to enjoy those games again. I can't go into technical details here in the forums, but the information is available out on the web to set up and run these two features available in Win7/8.

I'm aware , though it is often not that simple, a lot of older games were never designed to run or understand things like multi core processors , when new worlds came out the top processor was the Pentium 3.
More popular games usually are a bit easier to get running as there are more people working on fixes and workarounds and such.
toDuj 'oS rol.
Empire Veteran
# 8
02-10-2013, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyryck View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrona View Post

You did not miss a great deal honestly, there were a few rare good ones like Birth of the Federation and ST:Starfleet command but the vast majority were poor.
toDuj 'oS rol.
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
02-10-2013, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
Yeah all those.. does not ring a bell, though I recognize the arcade games.
I probably have had some of them though for C64 or any of the consoles, but still can't recall playing them. Oh well.
Career Officer
# 10
02-10-2013, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipagat View Post
You did not miss a great deal honestly, there were a few rare good ones like Birth of the Federation and ST:Starfleet command but the vast majority were poor.
The two Elite Force games would definitely have to go into the good category, especially if FPS games are your thing. EF1 probably had the edge, especially if you liked the environments (there was an impressive map of the Intrepid interior that you could explore). Pity it doesn't like Windows 7 x64.
Concessimus etiam omnibus liberis hominibus regni nostri, et dedit pro nobis et heredibus nostris in perpetuum, quibus libertates subscriptas, habendas et tenendas eis et heredibus suis de nobis et heredibus nostris in perpetuum.