Commander
# 61
02-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Oh man, now I'm going to have to read back through all your past entries to satisfy my curiousity
Not in my entries, but in past Trek. grylak already identified Rain ; a little research on Memory Alpha and/or Beta (with particular attention to "Assignment: Earth", "City on the Edge of Forever", and "Future's End") should fill in the rest of the context for you. (You'd probably have to watch the episode to get why she misses Saturn. )

I had to think for a while on what the crew would be doing there before I came up with "Project Alexandria." There are other teams, of course, doing much the same all over the world. The coolest part, to my mind, is that they know exactly what they can safely take - everything that history records as being lost.

Last edited by hfmudd; 02-10-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Captain
# 62
02-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Ahh, gotcha I have to admit, the specific event itself didn't really matter, as the sense of impending dread was certainly more than enough to carry the story
I agree about the sense of foreboding. In some ways I would say hfmudd and I went into similar emotional territory, though with the huge difference that in my case the subject of my writing had already happened.

It's interesting, though...I considered writing the opening of World War III as well, when I started getting nervous about my initial idea. It was only when I realized I could get away with an extremely minimalist storytelling strategy that I decided to go forward with my own idea.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
Delta Rising: Reanimate? (Y/N) Review Series COMPLETE!
Proudly F2P. Sig by gulberat. Avatar by balsavor.deviantart.com
Commander
# 63
02-10-2013, 12:01 PM
And I liked your story, gulberat. It was very well written and definitely had an influence on mine.
Captain
# 64
02-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfmudd View Post
Not in my entries, but in past Trek. grylak already identified Rain ; a little research on Memory Alpha and/or Beta (with particular attention to "Assignment: Earth", "City on the Edge of Forever", and "Future's End") should fill in the rest of the context for you. (You'd probably have to watch the episode to get why she misses Saturn. )

I had to think for a while on what the crew would be doing there before I came up with "Project Alexandria." There are other teams, of course, doing much the same all over the world. The coolest part, to my mind, is that they know exactly what they can safely take - everything that history records as being lost.
Ahh, Rain Robinson was an awesome character, I just wondered if that had been some kind of codename, but awesome to see that she's doing useful things

I think it's a fantastic idea, and can't think of anything more tragic than lost knowledge, or intentional book burnings (as a student, I hated even making notes on pages) I kept my entry pretty much in line with the LC guideline, I think for the next challenge, I might see if I can simply write something 'inspired by' part of the guidelines, like this entry
Captain
# 65
02-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
I agree about the sense of foreboding. In some ways I would say hfmudd and I went into similar emotional territory, though with the huge difference that in my case the subject of my writing had already happened.

It's interesting, though...I considered writing the opening of World War III as well, when I started getting nervous about my initial idea. It was only when I realized I could get away with an extremely minimalist storytelling strategy that I decided to go forward with my own idea.
Definitely, and you both handled it fantastically, two thoroughly enjoyable reads
Captain
# 66
02-11-2013, 02:15 AM
HA! VICTORY IS MINE!!!! well... not yet any way... but soon maybe?

I've been having a hard time trying to think of something for this one when suddenly out of no where an idea hit me and stuck. Needless to say bad timing as it's 1:14 am, but i'm going to go get a drink and start working in this right now. Hopefully i'll have it up sooner than later.
Survivor of Remus
# 67
02-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraithshadow13 View Post
HA! VICTORY IS MINE!!!! well... not yet any way... but soon maybe?
Confirming ownership of Victory.
Ensign
# 68
02-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Notes on my entry: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1&postcount=15

I'm blatantly taking multiple historical liberties with Warhol's Factory here. Klaus Nomi was a countertenor and early New Wave performance artist of the 70s and early 80s who used post-apocalyptic science fiction utopianism in his stage shows before he was "discovered." I've always wanted to do a fic based on the premise that Nomi, George Clinton, the B52s, Sun Ra, and/or David Bowie are/were aliens or had alien contacts. However, Nomi arrived in NYC after Warhol was shot and became a bit more reclusive, so the dates don't quite match up for this scene.

A liberty I took with Star Trek lore is the existence of cognates for "captain" that a person with a passing familiarity in multiple 20th century languages might recognize.

The ship is named for Joan Slonczewski, biologist and science fiction author.

Patrick is, unfortunately, taking his cues from David Bowie's 1979 SNL appearance, which featured Klaus Nomi on background vocals. Since his "history" is mostly derived from holodeck reconstructions of 20th-century television, his recommendations are laughably incorrect.
Captain
# 69
02-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beregga View Post
Notes on my entry: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1&postcount=15

I'm blatantly taking multiple historical liberties with Warhol's Factory here. Klaus Nomi was a countertenor and early New Wave performance artist of the 70s and early 80s who used post-apocalyptic science fiction utopianism in his stage shows before he was "discovered." I've always wanted to do a fic based on the premise that Nomi, George Clinton, the B52s, Sun Ra, and/or David Bowie are/were aliens or had alien contacts. However, Nomi arrived in NYC after Warhol was shot and became a bit more reclusive, so the dates don't quite match up for this scene.

A liberty I took with Star Trek lore is the existence of cognates for "captain" that a person with a passing familiarity in multiple 20th century languages might recognize.

The ship is named for Joan Slonczewski, biologist and science fiction author.

Patrick is, unfortunately, taking his cues from David Bowie's 1979 SNL appearance, which featured Klaus Nomi on background vocals. Since his "history" is mostly derived from holodeck reconstructions of 20th-century television, his recommendations are laughably incorrect.
Welcome, and thanks for sharing your entry I had wondered if the albino tribble was referring to Andy Warhol, but the other references I did not twig (which is equally good, as it means the reader is not beaten over the head with them ) Ironically, I very nearly had the crew contact World Enterprises and Thomas Newton, but I felt that his company was not quite as focused on engineering as Stark Industries (I also want David Bowie to play the 12th Doctor )

Last edited by marcusdkane; 02-11-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Lieutenant