Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay > PvP Boot Camp
Login

Captain
Coaches and Players:

As all of you know, the fourth stage in Boot Camp involves an evaluation prior to graduation. We are just over 2 months from graduating our first class. Our next major step, then, is to create some sort of evaluation that will test (1) knowledge and (2) skill on the battlefield. I am opening this thread to solicit ideas from students and coaches alike. Thanks in advance for sharing your ideas!

@gradstudent1
PvP Boot Camp Project Leader Emeritus
Captain
# 2
02-09-2013, 03:19 AM
This is just my suggesting, and I know it would probably not be feasible.

Stage 1: Information gathering.

I would suggest that students get given the opportunity of sharing their intended play style i.e. what role are they trying to fulfil given their ship/ equipment/ build.

Stage 2: "Learner's License"
Matches could then be arranged on a coach vs player based, and the coach can evaluate the player. For a coach to try and do this in a team could be very difficult.

Stage 3: Tweek
Coaches would then compile feedback to the student.

Stage 4: "Pre-Exam"
Students vs Student Match

Stage 5: Exam
Mini-Boot Camp Tourny

Stage 6: Prize-giving Gala
Rihannsu
# 3
02-10-2013, 03:49 AM
I would stick to the basics of using what has been covered in the three previous classes.

Rebalancing shields, cross healing, communication, and non-rainbow builds. Graduating is a sign that you successfully use these basic skills.

Feedback on how to improve team play and so on, should remain the icing on the cake, imv.

A student's tourny would be nice, but I would keep it separate from the final boot-camp session. We could run a student's only boot camp tourny parallel to the next round of boot camp. With a few coaches as observers. While most coaches teach tackle the curriculum with a new round of students.

We should have some romulan brew, Dabo, orion danceer party with the coaches, and hit the queues flying as irresponsibly as possible.
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013

Last edited by havam; 02-10-2013 at 03:53 AM.
Captain
# 4
02-10-2013, 04:06 AM
Not a student, ect (wrong timeslots for me/my times online are never truely set in stone, blah, blah) but a simple test would be to survive a surprise decloaking turret/dhc alpha strike from a bop (or for sadists, a masked bug) in middle of another 'test' as if you can survive that, you can survive anything on the battlefield sto can throw at you (or even mix it up by using multiple hidden opponents to force use of cross heals)
Commander
# 5
02-10-2013, 04:12 AM
Anything that will be done I think it should be evaluated using same metric

Everybody if put to test should have at least same shield/engine/deflector/weapons otherwise this "skill" test will become who has better gear.

Anyway 90% of pvp is gear/ship/console quality only 10% is skill
Career Officer
# 6
02-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Russian Roulette.

Slap a Klingon Disruptor pistol on the table.

The lucky ones get their title & their respec token.

The un-lucky ones are just, unlucky.

^______^
Captain
# 7
02-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Havam's Humourous QUote: "We should have some romulan brew, Dabo, orion danceer party with the coaches, and hit the queues flying as irresponsibly as possible. [/color][/quote]"

I will be there as the designated driver, to take Havam back to New Romulus once he has finishes crashing his ship into the cracked planetoid over and over again. Sorry Havam, you can't use ramming speed on planets

@gradstudent1
PvP Boot Camp Project Leader Emeritus
Captain
# 8
02-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent1 View Post
Havam's Humourous QUote: "We should have some romulan brew, Dabo, orion danceer party with the coaches, and hit the queues flying as irresponsibly as possible. [/color]

I will be there as the designated driver, to take Havam back to New Romulus once he has finishes crashing his ship into the cracked planetoid over and over again. Sorry Havam, you can't use ramming speed on planets
LOL - seconded.
Empire Veteran
# 9
02-10-2013, 12:28 PM
"Sir, they are bombarding us from orbit!"

"Relax Ensign. Its just Have trying to land after another night of partying and Puging"

"Sir? Then who is that other vessel just flying in circles shooting at everything?"

"Roach. Asleep again at the helm with his finger on the trigger or awake thinking the button labeled FIRE adds more kick to his bloodwine everytime he clicks it."
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Captain
# 10
02-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Is there a way to do a "quiz" on a website as part of the test? Maybe 15 questions total- 5 from each of the pervious lessons, open note (ie they can have the Hilbert guide on hand if needed) and the after the quiz a live fire exercise?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?