Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 480
# 11
02-10-2013, 07:26 AM
Anyway, the question is "its worth the effort?" And I dont think so, for two reasons:

1. You cannot use the base like a regular starbase, for example, instead of Earth Spacedock or pre S-7 DS9, that was a tempting idea, specially for more "corporative" or roleplaying fleets. All the starbases are in fact the same one but with diferent instances, and not a real fleet home, its more like a starship bride, cause every time you came from a STF, PVE, PVP, etc., you spawn out of your base or from the point of the galaxy you transwarped to the starbase.


And it doenst have exchange. Lel. What a dumb design for a starbase.


2. Appart from some ships, you gain nothing really valuable for leveling the starbase. The fleet weapons are kinda crappy (DMGx3? Really?), the shields, well, the shields are good; but in general the lack of endgame content, or real PvP, or challenging PvE, makes not use at all of this "powerfull" fleet items. In this case, its the same problem as the Reputation system.


I'd add a personal third reason: Its boring as hell.


Our fleet decided long time ago not to put too many effort in the Starbase / Embassy. With those resources we are giving lockbox ships for our members, that are way better ships that the fleet ones.


Maybe if some day you can use the fleet starbase as your main starbase, and fleet endgame content is added (like sieges, fleet pvp, etc.), we would decide to make the effort, but for now, we want to stop in tier 4 military and wait to other things to do.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,133
# 12
02-10-2013, 07:34 AM
by far not enough functionality added to the fleetbases thus far. may change, but basically the lack of some functionality/bonus to the 200k vanity projects makes them an annoyance rather than something to relly aim for.
If there were some rather huge passive benefits for each fleet member involved into building the base, like free bonus XP, more/better loot, more marks, etc... a base would be awesome.
Go pro or go home
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,223
# 13
02-10-2013, 12:37 PM
I'm in a fleet with just over 80 players (which is hardly a small group) in the process of the Tier II starbase upgrade as we speak, and the idea that we'll finish Tier V before 2013 is over is outright laughable. The demands are totally out of whack with reality. Especially considering there is so little real reason to actually go to either the starbase or the embassy.

The whole system is half finished and needs significant additions, as well as addressing the utterly absurd dilithium demands. Until the starbase/embassy are part of actually playing the game, and not just glorified vendors you have to pay a couple million dil for, the system is broken.

There should be fleet-specific PvE missions that launch from the starbase that award Fleet Marks and Dilithium. There should be fleet-specific text based diplomacy missions that launch from the embassy that award Fleet Marks and Dilithium (something like the diplomatic equivilant of the Explore Strange New Worlds/We Need Breathing Room random missions). Give me a reason to be there.

I still enjoy the fleet, because for the most part the company is good. That's why you should stay in a fleet, in my opinion. Good people that enhance your enjoyment of the game. These are people I enjoy seeing, playing with, and talking to. That's the value of a good fleet.

But the actual bases themselves are priced totally out of relevance.
--------------------------------------

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom

Last edited by tsurutafan01; 02-10-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 61
# 14 Tier 5
02-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Well i'm sorry to hear that you guys feel it isn't worth it. I believe it is .... for recruitment purposes its a gold mine, for bragging rights just like the accolade system, I believe it's worth it because the KDF starbase is beautiful and we can drink a bloodwine buff up same as a tribble. New fleet ships will be added in the future and you will lose members to large fleets who have the new ships. yes it costs alot to build but it's worth it.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 460
# 15
02-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lter View Post
2. Appart from some ships, you gain nothing really valuable for leveling the starbase. The fleet weapons are kinda crappy (DMGx3? Really?)
I dunno about space, but the advanced fleet ground weapons are literally some of the best you can get outside of very situational or obscenely broken guns like the compressed cryo launcher.
Joined: January 2010

Fanfiction! ZOMG! Read it now!
kate-wintersbite.deviantart.com/art/0x01-Treachery-293641403
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 480
# 16
02-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterofblood View Post
Well i'm sorry to hear that you guys feel it isn't worth it. I believe it is .... for recruitment purposes its a gold mine, for bragging rights just like the accolade system, I believe it's worth it because the KDF starbase is beautiful and we can drink a bloodwine buff up same as a tribble. New fleet ships will be added in the future and you will lose members to large fleets who have the new ships. yes it costs alot to build but it's worth it.
No if there's no one left to recruit. Nah, Starbases were a total bluf. Actually, more people is leaving the game and our fleets because of starbase, embassy and rep system, than we can recruit, I. Yes, your toon can drink boodwine in your starbase, but the game's still getting empty. Maybe the bloodwine is not enough reason to spend 1-2 years of great effor upgrading a virtual starbase of a game without content for it.


Appart from the bloodwine and the tribbles, of course.
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 480
# 17
02-10-2013, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by radkip View Post
I dunno about space, but the advanced fleet ground weapons are literally some of the best you can get outside of very situational or obscenely broken guns like the compressed cryo launcher.
Yeah, ok, ground weapons arent that bad, not the best, but different than the top weapons you can buy on exchange; but what purpose they have? Re-run the same missions that previously you had to make 100.000 times to upgrade the thing and get the weapon itself? Makes no sense.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 61
# 18 noone left?
02-11-2013, 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lter View Post
Yeah, ok, ground weapons arent that bad, not the best, but different than the top weapons you can buy on exchange; but what purpose they have? Re-run the same missions that previously you had to make 100.000 times to upgrade the thing and get the weapon itself? Makes no sense.
oops wrong replay
Lieutenant
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 61
# 19 noone left?
02-11-2013, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lter View Post
No if there's no one left to recruit. Nah, Starbases were a total bluf. Actually, more people is leaving the game and our fleets because of starbase, embassy and rep system, than we can recruit, I. Yes, your toon can drink boodwine in your starbase, but the game's still getting empty. Maybe the bloodwine is not enough reason to spend 1-2 years of great effor upgrading a virtual starbase of a game without content for it.


Appart from the bloodwine and the tribbles, of course.
We have a membership of 500 and we delete non active players who haven't logged in for 60 days. Usually that means kicking 20 people and our recruiting gets the 20 back in a week. there are lots of people looking for a good tier 5 fleet not many looking for lower tiered fleets cause its a waist of time and money. We have 20 to 35 people on daily and this game is not dying as you suggest.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 217
# 20
02-11-2013, 02:41 AM
That is btw. exactly the problem I see, monsterofblood. New players who are looking for a fleet have no reason to choose a smaller fleet that has yet to complete Tier 3 (or even 2) - when they can join a large fleet that already has Tier 4 or even 5.

Why bother with the expenses if You can already reap what others have sown? Admittedly, some Fleet Credits may have to be obtained beforehand by temporarily joining a small fleet and contributing to their projects. Which is a small phenomenon I have come to experience. The small fleet even gets something out of it but then again - it does not suffice to bring them up to par.

With Elite weapons and equipment both for ground and space, access to Fleet grade ships (+10% hull and shields and a tenth console slot) and a system that will most probably find itself being even more expanded over time with at least more Fleet ship versions if not more I already see many of the smaller fleets not only struggling to keep their members but dying on the way there.

So yes, while I think the Starbase and Embassy projects are something worth to strive for - it is also something that polarizes players into those who want to benefit from a large fleet and those who grit their teeth to struggle on for the dire times ahead.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:27 AM.