Lt. Commander
So who gets to decide which Foundry missions are spotlighted each month? Is Cryptic just choosing the more popular ones or is there some kind of criteria. I have noticed that Cryptic are only choosing missions that coincide with their timeline or interpretation of the Star Trek Universe. I think this is slightly unfair because there are a lot of Foundry missions that exist outside the timeline that STO has created.

What is made frustrating is that Cryptic do not even publish the criteria of what makes a "featured mission" or what they expect. Judging by some of the quality of the featured stuff, I would probably make a guess that the criteria is quite low.

More people with more controversial titles deserve the same recognition as the missions that Cryptic "cherry pick".
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
02-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
So who gets to decide which Foundry missions are spotlighted each month? Is Cryptic just choosing the more popular ones or is there some kind of criteria. I have noticed that Cryptic are only choosing missions that coincide with their timeline or interpretation of the Star Trek Universe. I think this is slightly unfair because there are a lot of Foundry missions that exist outside the timeline that STO has created.

What is made frustrating is that Cryptic do not even publish the criteria of what makes a "featured mission" or what they expect. Judging by some of the quality of the featured stuff, I would probably make a guess that the criteria is quite low.

More people with more controversial titles deserve the same recognition as the missions that Cryptic "cherry pick".
I couldnt agree more
Empire Veteran
# 3
02-11-2013, 10:27 AM
are you saying that the missions that they choose are not good?

I don't play the fed ones but the ones for the kdf are all very good.
Captain
# 4
02-11-2013, 10:32 AM
First off I have to ask, is it even possible for you to make a post that doesn't somehow or another bash Cryptic and everything they do?

Quote:
I think this is slightly unfair because there are a lot of Foundry missions that exist outside the timeline that STO has created.
Why in the world would they spotlight a mission that doesn't fit in with the STO Canon time line? The whole point of the foundry spotlight is to point out missions they think people should try out.

Naturally they're going to pick ones that fit in to their story line and style, and not highlight the what-if types of missions, because those are outside the STO Canon.

Quote:
No in fact they don't deserve anything, other then the star rating that they're given and any Dilithium tips they get. This is true for all foundry missions, but is especially true of anything that you might call 'controversial'.

Last edited by cptvanor; 02-11-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Captain
# 5
02-11-2013, 10:34 AM
Until the Foundry has proper, actual, "remember when this was new 20 years ago" dialogue trees that let you build missions to multiple outcomes so that literally 100% of the text isn't superfluous "if you really want to, just jam F and you'll still win the mission", who cares?

The actual combat portions of many of the Foundry missions are fine, but the way their system gimps writers from having anything to actually do is really annoying.
--------------------------------------

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
Captain
# 6
02-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurutafan01 View Post
Until the Foundry has proper, actual, "remember when this was new 20 years ago" dialogue trees that let you build missions to multiple outcomes so that literally 100% of the text isn't superfluous "if you really want to, just jam F and you'll still win the mission", who cares?

The actual combat portions of many of the Foundry missions are fine, but the way their system gimps writers from having anything to actually do is really annoying.
This.

It is sad the starcraft map editor had such an amazing trigger system and yet a game that prides itself upon UGC can't even come close.
Captain
# 7
02-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
This.

It is sad the starcraft map editor had such an amazing trigger system and yet a game that prides itself upon UGC can't even come close.
Well, as I understand it, the Neverwinter version of the foundry has some pretty awesome stuff. When that game goes live, it is my hope that STO's foundry will be updated accordingly. We don't know all of the features that are a part of NW's foundry that are not a part of STO's. NW's alpha testers have been able to play with the Foundry so they know, but they are under an NDA. Foundry is disabled until Level 15 in that game, so those who are on the Beta Team, limited to beta weekends, have yet to get far enough to start checking it out.

Whatever NW's foundry allows will probably be an indication of what STO's foundry will become, give or take a few elements.
I am of the opinion that Cryptic cannot because PWE will not...
Commander
# 8
02-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Quote:

Seriously?

I have to say so far every one of the Spotlight missions is an excellent choice (and I have played all the fed missions and about half the KDF ones).

Have you even made a mission in the foundry yourself? (aside from the 15 minutes it takes to make a 'grind' mission?) Do you have any idea how much effort and creativity it takes to build the ones that are currently spotlighted?

They are there for a reason - they are good. And yes, of course they do (and SHOULD) support the official STO storyline. After all they are 'officially' supported by Cryptic - why would they promote some deviant or contradiction from the game story they created?

Again - list the missions you have created and I'd be happy to play through them - because I seriously want to see what you idea of "higher quality" than what's in the Spotlight list is.

Come on - impress me. I really mean it!
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 9
02-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Quote:
So who gets to decide which Foundry missions are spotlighted each month?
I do

Quote:
Is Cryptic just choosing the more popular ones or is there some kind of criteria. I have noticed that Cryptic are only choosing missions that coincide with their timeline or interpretation of the Star Trek Universe. I think this is slightly unfair because there are a lot of Foundry missions that exist outside the timeline that STO has created.
Nope; I've featured missions that include those that many have not played, as well as some that are well known. This last one was a KDF mission and had less than 40 reviews when it went up for featuring. It was suggested by various members of the community, I played through it, found it to be amazing, and reached out to the author. The missions that get picked do not have to coincide with STO's timeline or interpretation. If you've played through every single spotlighted mission on this list (http://sto.perfectworld.com/about/fo...ndry-spotlight), you'd know this to not be the case.

Quote:
There is no criteria, per se, other than "was this mission amazing, did it impress me, and do I think all players should play it?" and "does it not break the EULA?". I take suggestions from the community (forums, twitter, podcasts, facebook, etc.), play through the missions, and reach out to the authors.

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Quote:

Some buddies in my fleet where wondering/ ******** about who picks the spotlights this weekend. It seems that the same few authors are getting picked to be spotlighted over and over. Not that they don?t have good stuff. But a few guys in my fleet have some really good stuff too and spent a lot of time working on their missions. They have submitted them to be spotlighted. But no one plays their missions. They told me they were giving up on making missions because they felt they were not a part of Brandflake ?s clique and would not be able to get their spotlighted.