Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Community Moderator
# 11
02-11-2013, 12:53 AM
Decided to log in and pull our fleet stats.

We've very much got a 'do it as we get to it' attitude, with Fleet Marks usually providing our bottle neck.

http://postimage.org/image/k9a2lpuvd/

http://postimage.org/image/mrvrmegll/
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Career Officer
# 12
02-11-2013, 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fovrel View Post
You know, fleet leveling should one do on the fly. I have two one-player fleets and I want them to level 1, perhaps two. Today I worked a bit on it, well, worked ... I got some dilithium I didn't know what to do with it. So I dumped it into the starbases.

That's the way one should do it in my view. It is also quite boring, allocating resources to the starbase. The same thing is the case with the reputation system. I have no problem whatsoever with this part of the game and I can even participate in it in my own way at my own pace.

Perhaps I look not very good, but besides the fleet ships (which is also a matter of taste) I cannot find anything special in the whole fleet/starbase system. So my thumbs are up for Cryptic. It is a nice sidekick, precisely the right thing for a grind. Let's keep it that way. And grats to the guys that make it first to tier five.
Pretty much the same approach and attitude i'm taking with my alt fleet. The starbase system was obviosly designed for larger fleets and small/alt fleets are going to have to spend a lot more time levelling up, as it should be. For small/alt fleets to get there without burning themselves out will mean setting a more reasonable pace. And so far the only thing i've gotten out of it is some upgraded kits, nothing else really catches my eye.

So far so good we'll see where its at a year from now.
Captain
# 13
02-11-2013, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulleatherjacket View Post
And that's what's wrong with your opinion. Nobody else should play the game the way you think they should. They should play the game the way they think they should.
I think he simply meant that it isn't a race and running the fleet grind that way is what really makes it painful for those who might complain about it.

I agree with this standpoint. It is designed to discourage content locusts. The more you try to rush through it the more grindy it feels. It was also intended to be undertaken by a fleet, as in an organization of multiple players who wish to collectively work towards a long-term goal.

The fact that we CAN do fleet holdings solo is a bonus, but the requirements should not be scaled down accordingly. If I want to run a starbase with no support, I would ecpect it to be quite difficult with any sort of progress going extremely slowly.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are many problems with STO that only the Devs can fix. And they should...
At the same time, there are many problems that we are perfectly capable of fixing ourselves. And we should...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain
# 14
02-11-2013, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostysly View Post
its the nature of things. its like walking around in a dark room. you wanna know where youre at, and if there are other people in there with you. then you wanna know where they are.
just plain curiosity...
Plus it also prevents fleets from bumping into each other or accidentally grabbing / hitting / what have you to each other. So really it's not bragging, it's a safety issue.

Edit: Why are you walking around a dark room in the first place?
Starfleet Veteran
# 15
02-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomin8r View Post
I will never understand why people care about such things. What good does gloating and bragging bring to anyone?

Human nature is to gloat and brag on stuff like this.... Our fleet is on T4 but we focus essentially on "people" being happy not on "numbers"....sorry if I was gloating on respecting others
[
Ensign
# 16
02-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Starfleet Liberty Force reached tier 4 over the weekend, now starting the long grind to tier 5.
Captain
# 17
02-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by felderburg View Post
Plus it also prevents fleets from bumping into each other or accidentally grabbing / hitting / what have you to each other. So really it's not bragging, it's a safety issue.

Edit: Why are you walking around a dark room in the first place?
Tal Shiar operatives cut my power lines. I think I've managed to kill all but one or two. I do wish they were as helpful as Borg in naming themselves so I'd know for sure how many were left.

Did you happen to see anyone slip out the back?

Edit: Also bragging is fun and it is cool for watchers to know when the "race" is over.
Career Officer
# 18
02-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinruneblade View Post
Edit: Also bragging is fun
Not sure how far you've progressed in a video game is something all that impressive worth bragging about to be honest. To each their own I guess.
Captain Kirk is climbing a mountain. Why is he climbing a mountain? Is he learning to fly?