Career Officer
# 11
02-11-2013, 11:04 AM
I've only played a handful of the Federation spotlights, but all of the KDF spotlights; and they are all great work. The ones I have played are certainly worthy of being spotlighted. I'm not sure why you feel they don't deserve to be spotlighted. Did you feel the dialog wasn't up to par? Or maybe it was the combat? I'm curious. I also echo the previous posters in that I don't think a mission that isn't feasible in the current STO timeline should be nominated as a spotlight mission. The spotlights should be a nice fit to the current timeline and should be seen as extensions to the existing missions that Cryptic has in-place.
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 12
02-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengoz View Post
Some buddies in my fleet where wondering/ ******** about who picks the spotlights this weekend. It seems that the same few authors are getting picked to be spotlighted over and over. Not that they don?t have good stuff. But a few guys in my fleet have some really good stuff too and spent a lot of time working on their missions. They have submitted them to be spotlighted. But no one plays their missions. They told me they were giving up on making missions because they felt they were not a part of Brandflake ?s clique and would not be able to get their spotlighted.
There are only a couple authors that have had more than one mission featured; I really try to avoid this, but some missions are just too good to not feature. There are also plenty of authors on the spotlight list I linked above that are not well known in the community. I really do look for new and upcoming authors and missions to spotlight.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Starfleet Veteran
# 13
02-11-2013, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Some buddies in my fleet where wondering/ ******** about who picks the spotlights this weekend. It seems that the same few authors are getting picked to be spotlighted over and over. Not that they don?t have good stuff. But a few guys in my fleet have some really good stuff too and spent a lot of time working on their missions. They have submitted them to be spotlighted. But no one plays their missions. They told me they were giving up on making missions because they felt they were not a part of Brandflake ?s clique and would not be able to get their spotlighted.
Then cut out the middleman and outright go 'hey Brandon, give this a whirl and see if it would work ' Heck, what are the names of these missions anyways?
Career Officer
# 14
02-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Tell them to share their missions with the broader community. Any author can make an account on StarbaseUGC.com and then post about their mission. There are foundry podcasts, too, that they could email about their missions.

How to get one's mission 'out there' isn't obvious, but there are plenty of options. Commiserating about how you're 'not part of the clique', on the other hand, doesn't help at all.
Captain
# 15
02-11-2013, 11:12 AM
It's pretty sad where I find myself.

My recent Spotlight took me over 8 months to complete the 5-part series, and nearly a month of editing the video. I spent hundreds of hours working on the script, and the idea.

I did this because I truly love what it is that the Foundry allows me to do, when I am taking a break from PvP.

I must say, as a member of the STO community, I am downright horrified at the number of threatening and abusive mails I have been receiving through You Tube, insulting me personally and my effort. Fortunately I have received numerous letters of appreciation from You Tube for my promotion of STO, and they were kind enough to block the accounts from further abuse.

I am saddened to hear this.

Reviews NEVER deserve to be an insult. Ever.

Last edited by drkfrontiers; 02-11-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 16
02-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Are you guys even listening to what Brandon is saying? No offense intended but it seems like you're ignoring him.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
I do

Nope; I've featured missions that include those that many have not played, as well as some that are well known. This last one was a KDF mission and had less than 40 reviews when it went up for featuring. It was suggested by various members of the community, I played through it, found it to be amazing, and reached out to the author. The missions that get picked do not have to coincide with STO's timeline or interpretation. If you've played through every single spotlighted mission on this list (http://sto.perfectworld.com/about/fo...ndry-spotlight), you'd know this to not be the case.

There is no criteria, per se, other than "was this mission amazing, did it impress me, and do I think all players should play it?" and "does it not break the EULA?". I take suggestions from the community (forums, twitter, podcasts, facebook, etc.), play through the missions, and reach out to the authors.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Oh wow, an actual response... I do feel lucky. Yes, I have over eight missions btw and constantly reviewed for spelling and grammatical errors and canon accuracy which is something that even STO doesn't do very well but that's besides the point.

I don't feel sorry for people who get negative comments because if they cannot make something to a standard that upholds Star Trek then they shouldn't do it at all.

I just feel that what is the point of making things if people are only going to stick to well known authors or missions like "easy money" that actually abuse what the foundry was made for.

Last edited by warbird001; 02-11-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 18
02-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Please post the names of these missions or link to a me a post where I can find them. I've just started up a podcast where we talk about missions (mini-reviews) and I'd love to highlight missions that have not gotten much recognition yet.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
Please post the names of these missions or link to a me a post where I can find them. I've just started up a podcast where we talk about missions (mini-reviews) and I'd love to highlight missions that have not gotten much recognition yet.
Kudos to that idea mate, I think its great to get some of the lesser known authors some recognition as well because sometimes you feel like you make these things and people only play the spotlighted or popular ones or ones that abuse what the Foundry was created for.

My point is, not just one person is qualified to decide which mission makes the list or not because just because that one person dislikes a mission, doesn't mean somebody else will not. It would be better to have a "second opinion" on what makes a "spotlight" mission.

Last edited by warbird001; 02-11-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 20
02-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
Oh wow, an actual response... I do feel lucky. Yes, I have over eight missions btw and constantly reviewed for spelling and grammatical errors and canon accuracy which is something that even STO doesn't do very well but that's besides the point.

I don't feel sorry for people who get negative comments because if they cannot make something to a standard that upholds Star Trek then they shouldn't do it at all.

I just feel that what is the point of making things if people are only going to stick to well known authors or missions like "easy money" that actually abuse what the foundry was made for.
What we need is More canon not just "Star Trek Onlines" Canon Example: More Planets, more Systems, more Places to visit, yada yada yada

Last edited by brougham21; 02-11-2013 at 11:36 AM.