Ensign
# 141
02-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by westx211 View Post
Well forgive me for my earlier remark if you managed to read it before branflakes took it down but I have to say that cryptic is doing good.I mean seriously this game was free MMO of the year and I'm sure cryptic does their best so think about that next time you bad mouth them.
well given that sw:tor is now free2play, sto will never win that title ever again.

sorry guys, but coming from a die hard trekkie, this game blows. i left it a year ago, i have two lifetime accounts, and i still can't see any reason to come back.

I don't like how the games been developed, and it's lack thereoff. it's just a little bit repugnant to me that this game is associated with the name of star trek.

goodluck to those of you still here, i'll drop in occassionally to see whats been happening, but i have no expectations that this game will ever be something that i as a trekker could be proud of.

/out
Captain
# 142
02-10-2013, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by user839020189287 View Post
I can't imagine people will quit a game because someone dissed a movie that they may have or may have not liked.
But they have. In droves. For three years. And on these forums it goes beyond people just plain dissing the JJ movie. The hatred of the JJ Trek on these forums is so focused that people who bother to say they liked it and ask for the game to have more aspects of it get buried in vitriol from the rabid anti-Abrams posters.

Quote:
3. Whatever the red matter device's function, it was PRESENT in the movie and MADE it's way into the game so that disproves what you said earlier.
There's no Red Matter Capacitor in the movie. There's certainly no "device" in the film that gives a small power systems boost to the ships in the movie. They're not remotely the same thing. All they have in common is the phrase red matter.

Quote:
JJSPock's VO was a nod to the movie from the game. Guess you missed that. Quelle suprise!
Zachary Quinto. The Actor who played Spock in the Abrams film provides the voice in this game for ... The Emergency Medical Hologram. Not Spock.

At this point, I'm not really sure you can add much to the conversation other than more confusion.
Career Officer
# 143
02-10-2013, 10:04 PM
As everyone knows session 8 is coming up and this is the Developers chance to do right by the KDF. Lets cross our fingers and hope they do the right thing.
Lieutenant
# 144
02-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdkoneeightseven View Post
well given that sw:tor is now free2play, sto will never win that title ever again.

sorry guys, but coming from a die hard trekkie, this game blows. i left it a year ago, i have two lifetime accounts, and i still can't see any reason to come back.

I don't like how the games been developed, and it's lack thereoff. it's just a little bit repugnant to me that this game is associated with the name of star trek.

goodluck to those of you still here, i'll drop in occassionally to see whats been happening, but i have no expectations that this game will ever be something that i as a trekker could be proud of.

/out
Really? The buggy, bland, kludgy, looks like a five year old game but isn't SWTOR is going to win? With it's inane lockouts and push to subscribing? I'd have put down some credibility if you'd said DDO or, hell, even LotRO for instance, but until SWTOR makes some massive changes, it's DOA.
Commander
# 145
02-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
But they have. In droves. For three years. And on these forums it goes beyond people just plain dissing the JJ movie. The hatred of the JJ Trek on these forums is so focused that people who bother to say they liked it and ask for the game to have more aspects of it get buried in vitriol from the rabid anti-Abrams posters.
People quit the game not because there's not enough JJTrek in STO and/or had their feelings as a fanboy hurt. People quit because the game failed to meet up to their standards as gamers not canonists or film buffs.

Quote:
There's no Red Matter Capacitor in the movie. There's certainly no "device" in the film that gives a small power systems boost to the ships in the movie. They're not remotely the same thing. All they have in common is the phrase red matter.
JJTrek brought up the concept of Red Matter in the first place. It's JJTrek. Nit picking that the Red Matter Capacitor didn't exist in the movie does not really matter. They are related by association from film to game through the subject of Red Matter, itself. Go check your canon and lore sources. Also, the red matter console was from the collector's edition. I had said pre-order earlier and was not specific enough.

Quote:
Zachary Quinto. The Actor who played Spock in the Abrams film provides the voice in this game for ... The Emergency Medical Hologram. Not Spock.
Now did I ever say that his voice was for the character Spock? I said JJSpock did VO work. Yeah, I know he was the EMH voice. I played this game from the start, too. STO threw him a bone and it also could be considered an in-house nod/ promotion to associate the ST movie with the STO game. Not directly of course but easy enough to read between the lines.

Quote:
At this point, I'm not really sure you can add much to the conversation other than more confusion.
You are arguing like you are going to receive a gold star for the effort so feel free to opine more. As for confusion, Confucius say "Never give a sword to a man who can't dance".
"Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8

Last edited by user839020189287; 02-10-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Captain
# 146
02-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by user839020189287 View Post
People quit the game

There were quite a few people who played this game who were made to feel unwelcome by the forum goers who harped on how everything Kirk and JJ and Enterprise and Archer related was too outdated, too terrible, too filled with lens flares, not Trek enough, etc, etc, etc. Unless you're running around in a Wrath of Khan uniform flying an Excelsior and utilizing your diplomacy reward to get an Orion Slave Girl BOFF, you were made to feel unwelcome in this game's community enough that unless the game itself was really awesome, you questioned why you even bothered.

It goes the other way too. Anything too far ahead of the WoK/Excelsior/Slave Girl benchmark of STO is also made to feel inferior. Like the Enterprise-F's choice of Captain.

Heck it goes another step further. The KDF. They've been made to feel unwelcome. Not part of the larger community. Told by poster after poster, as well as the devs, that they are too small a portion of the fanbase to matter. And lo and behold, three years into this game's development cycle, the KDF has topics like this. And you seem to think that the new JJ movie will bring an infusion of popularity that will change the dev team's resources and opinion regarding the KDF?

I don't see it. JJ fans aren't welcome in STO. Moreso than even KDF fans.

Quote:
They are related by association from film to game through the subject of Red Matter, itself.
So basically what you're saying is, the only thing they have in common is the phrase Red Matter? Awesome.
Survivor of Romulus
# 147
02-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Quote:
There were quite a few people who played this game who were made to feel unwelcome by the forum goers who harped on how everything Kirk and JJ and Enterprise and Archer related was too outdated, too terrible, too filled with lens flares, not Trek enough, etc, etc, etc. Unless you're running around in a Wrath of Khan uniform flying an Excelsior and utilizing your diplomacy reward to get an Orion Slave Girl BOFF, you were made to feel unwelcome in this game's community enough that unless the game itself was really awesome, you questioned why you even bothered.

It goes the other way too. Anything too far ahead of the WoK/Excelsior/Slave Girl benchmark of STO is also made to feel inferior. Like the Enterprise-F's choice of Captain.

Heck it goes another step further. The KDF. They've been made to feel unwelcome. Not part of the larger community. Told by poster after poster, as well as the devs, that they are too small a portion of the fanbase to matter. And lo and behold, three years into this game's development cycle, the KDF has topics like this. And you seem to think that the new JJ movie will bring an infusion of popularity that will change the dev team's resources and opinion regarding the KDF?

I don't see it. JJ fans aren't welcome in STO. Moreso than even KDF fans.
If people based their decision to play the game or not on the stuff they read on these forums STO wouldn't have a living soul left to play it.
I don't want to insult anyone and I apologize in advance if I sound like it, because you may know the pople you mentioned have left, but the way I see it - if some knucklehead on the forums can make you unwellcomed enoguh to leave a game you like playing, you have personal issues. Just my 2 cents on it.

I'm going to use my personal example on it - I am a big ENT & Archer fan and as you say even worse, I play mainly KDF. By those standards I should be long gone. But, I happen to like STO and noone can make me give up the game I like playing by posting some nonsence on the forums, of which I supose we'll all agree there is more than enough here.

On a lighter note, it is true that KDF player base has every right to feel unwellcomed, but the devs. should know by now that Klingon warriors never give up!
Looking for a genuine Star Trek experience?
Join the Klingon Empire! It will be glorious!
Empire Veteran
# 148
02-11-2013, 01:10 PM
I don't think they should give up but the interview about the 20 ships being worked on...

More than likely out of the 20 its probally something like this and its only speculation based on people thinking that its going to be a romulan faction.

4 being lockbox
2 KDF
6 Fed
8 Romulan

Just based on they will not stop lock boxes it brings in money for all the other stuff we enjoy coming down their pipeline. Then whatever Fed and KDF(if any) would be mostly kitbashed of the more popular ships (they have to make money off that crowd that says what is the *bestest*). The romulan ones will most likely be a lot of kitbashed ones for level purposes of the bop, mogai, warbird, and scimitar being the romulan star empire was a lot like the KDF as far as viewer and most kitbashed ships. Not to mention there were 2 clearly stated alliances where the Romulans and KDF have what they have today. Before the alliance the KDF lore they didn't have cloaks and the Romulans didn't really have heavy battle cruisers so from both of their tech and wars its not too far off from the truth.
Captain
# 149
02-11-2013, 03:17 PM
I don't know about the rest of you but I ma getting tired of fighting the Borg.There has to be other way except defend Defari.

When it comes to Romulans can you acctually trust them?
Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
Star Trek Gamers
Ensign
# 150
02-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by age03 View Post
I don't know about the rest of you but I ma getting tired of fighting the Borg.There has to be other way except defend Defari.

When it comes to Romulans can you acctually trust them?
Wasn't it J'Mpok that said "The only good Romulan, is a dead Romulan."
Mia clementia denor esto.