Ensign
# 511
02-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by riley84 View Post
Ok now I get past the 'Cryptic loading' page and now it crashes on the next page, the 'Insignia loading' page.
I'm having almost the same problem with almost the same set-up, as far as I know (vcrun 2008 installed with Winetricks, Kubuntu 12.10). For me, it doesn't actually crash. It gets to the insignia screen and then does nothing indenfitiely.
Ensign
# 512
02-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyndos View Post
I'm having almost the same problem with almost the same set-up, as far as I know (vcrun 2008 installed with Winetricks, Kubuntu 12.10). For me, it doesn't actually crash. It gets to the insignia screen and then does nothing indenfitiely.
Mine does the same but a very quick Cryptic error message, if I wasn't watching the screen constantly I would have missed it, after the message the insignia screen continues 'loading' but does nothing.
Ensign
# 513
02-08-2013, 06:53 PM
I can get the gameclient.exe to load and ask for my password, but it always times out trying to connect to the account server.

Any ideas?
Career Officer
# 514
02-11-2013, 02:57 PM
We need a real Linux version of this game. With Steam on Linux now, there's never been a better time. I've tried a few different times in Linux Mint 14, both with Wine 1.4.1 and with the dev version, 1.5.23, and I can't get it working. I got the closest with 32-bit Mint. I got it patched and got to the Starfleet chevron loading screen like so many people have and it went no farther. In 64-bit, it won't even patch. In all attempts, I used Winetricks to install IE8, vcrun2008 and DirectX 9.

I refuse to go back to Windows, so I guess it's bye-bye to STO for me for now. Hopefully, the devs will realize that there's a Linux market out there and port the game in the near future.
Ensign
# 515
02-11-2013, 04:22 PM
I'm having the same issues here. I installed and patched the game at work today (poor connection at home) and the game ran as expected. Got home, and now when I try to run it, all that happens is I get the STO style comm badge in the system tray. Clicking it does nothing. I can run the game client on its own, but same as the above poster, it won't connect to the server.
Ensign
# 516
02-12-2013, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchtconner View Post
I'm having the same issues here. I installed and patched the game at work today (poor connection at home) and the game ran as expected. Got home, and now when I try to run it, all that happens is I get the STO style comm badge in the system tray. Clicking it does nothing. I can run the game client on its own, but same as the above poster, it won't connect to the server.

I still have no idea why this is happeneing but I am able to reinstal the game...

http://i.imgur.com/2wMsvlA.png
Career Officer
# 517
02-27-2013, 01:39 PM
Qapla! I got it running.

Here's what I'm running:

AMD FX8120 8-core processor
8GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce 9500GT 1GB w/ 310.14 driver
Peppermint OS 3 32-bit (based on Ubuntu 12.04)
Wine 1.4

After installing Wine, I ran Winetricks and installed corefonts, IE8 and vcrun2008. Then I installed and patched the game. Upon launch, it gives me an error saying I'm running an unrecognized video card and it may not run, but it does. I'm running it in normal graphics mode.

The initial launch took longer than in Windows. But, it finally started. I'm running it in the "recommended" graphics mode (the slider is 2/3 of the way over) in 1600x900 and it runs like a champ. I put the slider all the way up and it was running a bit rough, but I slid it back down and it's great. The sound has a bit of stuttering, but I'm not worried about that. I'm just glad the game runs. I didn't do much more than run around Starfleet Academy with one of my toons, though. I'll do more playing later.

The only other weird thing it does is it crashes when I exit, but that doesn't seem to affect anything.

All of my attempts to get it running in 64-bit Linux have been disastrous, even with only Wine 32-bit installed. But, since the game is 32-bit and I'm running a PAE kernel (so that it will recognize all of my RAM) I'm not worried about it. I dual boot anyway, so I have a 64-bit Linux distribution installed on my other partition for doing tasks that require 64-bit support.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 518
03-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgenius180 View Post
Qapla! I got it running.

Here's what I'm running:

AMD FX8120 8-core processor
8GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce 9500GT 1GB w/ 310.14 driver
Peppermint OS 3 32-bit (based on Ubuntu 12.04)
Wine 1.4

After installing Wine, I ran Winetricks and installed corefonts, IE8 and vcrun2008. Then I installed and patched the game. Upon launch, it gives me an error saying I'm running an unrecognized video card and it may not run, but it does. I'm running it in normal graphics mode.

The initial launch took longer than in Windows. But, it finally started. I'm running it in the "recommended" graphics mode (the slider is 2/3 of the way over) in 1600x900 and it runs like a champ. I put the slider all the way up and it was running a bit rough, but I slid it back down and it's great. The sound has a bit of stuttering, but I'm not worried about that. I'm just glad the game runs. I didn't do much more than run around Starfleet Academy with one of my toons, though. I'll do more playing later.

The only other weird thing it does is it crashes when I exit, but that doesn't seem to affect anything.

All of my attempts to get it running in 64-bit Linux have been disastrous, even with only Wine 32-bit installed. But, since the game is 32-bit and I'm running a PAE kernel (so that it will recognize all of my RAM) I'm not worried about it. I dual boot anyway, so I have a 64-bit Linux distribution installed on my other partition for doing tasks that require 64-bit support.
The "Recommended" position on the slider actually sets a bunch of options according to what the game thinks the capabilities of your hardware are. Unfortunately, WINE seems to flat out lie about some of that when the game does queries, so you might be running with more stuff turned off than you need to. I'd recommend going through the advanced settings and tweaking stuff by hand. Likely the performance hit boils down to some single option that WINE's wrapper layer just can't handle very well.

Good luck!
Career Officer
# 519
03-02-2013, 09:17 PM
I don't think it so much lies as it's that WINE is an emulator (no matter what they claim on their site.) When you run an emulator, it has to run on the host system, so it literally can't pull in your total system resources, it has to save some for the host OS. It's the same problem from which virtual machines suffer.

As for my system, I was able to put some of the sliders up higher. I set the texture quality to 200 without slowing the game down. Anti aliasing seems to slow it down a little, so I just left it off. I noticed the shadow quality setting only has "Low" and "Off" for settings, I had a "High" setting under Windows. I could run the game under maximum settings in Windows and it ran smoothly. But, I'm willing to put up with the reduced settings in order to not have to run Windows anymore. I was literally only running it for a few games.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 520
03-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgenius180 View Post
I don't think it so much lies as it's that WINE is an emulator (no matter what they claim on their site.) When you run an emulator, it has to run on the host system, so it literally can't pull in your total system resources, it has to save some for the host OS. It's the same problem from which virtual machines suffer.

As for my system, I was able to put some of the sliders up higher. I set the texture quality to 200 without slowing the game down. Anti aliasing seems to slow it down a little, so I just left it off. I noticed the shadow quality setting only has "Low" and "Off" for settings, I had a "High" setting under Windows. I could run the game under maximum settings in Windows and it ran smoothly. But, I'm willing to put up with the reduced settings in order to not have to run Windows anymore. I was literally only running it for a few games.
See, that's what I'm talking about, though. WINE is telling us that we can't do some random rendering feature that'll allow us to have decent looking shadows, even though it can.

At one point I had a hack inserted into the renderer setup that made it ignore everything the capabilities queries said if it detected that WINE was present and we could turn all the shadows up with no problem. Unfortunately, while shadows worked fine, some other stuff did start breaking (unrelated to shadows), so that never made it into the client we send out. (And despite me playing around with this in my personal time in the past, Cryptic doesn't officially support this.)

And I disagree with your assertion that WINE is an emulator. It's a re-implementation of the Windows libraries, but the code does not run in some emulated virtual machine where each opcode must be reprocessed and translated, or JIT compiled into something else. All the code in an application running under WINE that doesn't touch the Windows API directly runs, effectively, as native code, and it's just about as capable at using up system resources as any native application.

The problem we're dealing with here is just the buggy DirectX to OpenGL wrapper that makes up their DirectX implementation. (Okay. So it's more complicated than just a wrapper.)
Closed Thread