Lt. Commander
# 121
09-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IT_IS_GREEN View Post
Will rank advancement enable you to command other players?
That was answered a while back -- no, it won't, unless you and the other players agree to play that way.

You can't make strangers do things they don't want to do against their will, because they pay the same amount to play that you do.

Orders will come from higher-ranking NPCs, and will (presumably) be given to lower-ranking NPCs when mission scripting allows for it.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

KOS
Lt. Commander
I am wondering how your progression decisions affect your away mission performance? Or is it a completely separate skill set?
Lt. Commander
# 123
09-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach789 View Post
For RP and obvious reasons: Will our BO's and ourselves have first and last names, with the option to have a single name or nickname?
If you been following STO you already know the answer is YES.
Lt. Commander
# 124
09-30-2009, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEcko View Post
As you and your grew gain more experience and rank, are they forced to take higher level ships? Or can they remain in lower rank ships?
Turn to page 137.

You are eaten by a Grew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurit View Post
Why should a lower tier ship have advantages compared to a higher tier ship?
It's called game balance and it makes games not suck. it would allow Lts. and Commanders participate meaningfully in PvP instead of it being dominated solely by Admirals. It would make combat interesting, not just a matter of brute ship level. It would make people have to think while they play. Ships that are better in every way will make the game only about the grind to the best ship. The grind to endgame is why most MMOs suck.
Lt. Commander
# 125 Competition
09-30-2009, 06:58 PM
When the STO trailer came out, it was said that the game design would enable people with limited free time to compete with hardcore players. Did this concept pan out? And is there some limit on game play or the speed of progression?
Lt. Commander
# 126 *********
09-30-2009, 07:00 PM
will this be similar to ********* at all? if not, what will it be similar to?
Lt. Commander
# 127
09-30-2009, 07:03 PM
How does character creation and the abilities you give to your captain affect the overall captain as he/she progress through the ranks?
Lt. Commander
# 128
09-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IT_IS_GREEN View Post
Will rank advancement enable you to command other players?
Seems like a distinct impossibility.
Lt. Commander
# 129
09-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miqrogroove View Post
When the STO trailer came out, it was said that the game design would enable people with limited free time to compete with hardcore players. Did this concept pan out? And is there some limit on game play or the speed of progression?
This is something that I had actually forgotten about to a certain extent, but something that I am definitely interested in learning more about. I am not a huge fan of how some of the other massively multiplayer online games handle "offline progression" so to speak, so if this is something that is going to be utilized in Star Trek Online it is certainly an issue that I'd like to see addressed sometime soon.

There are some really good questions in this thread though!
Lt. Commander
# 130 upgraded officers
09-30-2009, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekhan
It's time for another Ask Cryptic. In this edition, we'd like to hear any remaining questions you have about player progression, before we move on to other areas of discussion.

Be sure to check out the last Ask Cryptic primer on player progression, as well as the previous set of Ask Cryptic answers for background info. Then, just ask any remaining questions you have in this post's comment thread. We'll select a few to put to the devs.

Link to the news article.

Ok. I have a question: When you obtain a "rare officer" through a mission or far planet in space, does that officer come with set talents and attributes... (looks, skills, etc...) or can you customize them as if you were getting a new one with new skills?