Captain
# 21
02-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Making PvP more accessible:

Cryptic should create an area in their forums to discuss PvP. Oh wait, they did.
In those forums, folks should share thoughts on tactics, team builds, roles, etc. Oh wait, they have and continue to do so.
It would be great if there was a stickied thread on ship and skill builds for PvP. Oh yeah, that's already there.
Perhaps there could be a thread collecting PvP movies so folks could watch fights to see what some folks do? Hrmmm, yep - that's there too.
Maybe somebody could put together a PvP channel so folks could ask and discuss PvP while in the game? Oh yeah, they did.
Perhaps there could be some sort of training thing - heck, maybe even with some Cryptic backing and publicity? Hrmmm, well then - that's there.

Even the OP's thing...guess what? It's already freaking there.

That's where the hostility really comes from. It's not hostility toward folks looking to learn, it's why I'm here - I'm looking to learn and get better. It's from the people that ignore all the stuff that people have done to make PvP so accessible...and then complain that it's not. I mean, ffs, seriously...put at least some appearance of effort into the matter - there are so many resources available...and so few bother taking advantage of them.

Frankly, I found the OP to be insulting to all the work that's been done here - and Hell, there are folks that I despise that post helpful information for others here, so even as I despise them - I have to respect them for what they're trying to do to make PvP that much more accessible and to get more folks into it. I don't respect somebody that just wants to look at what another person is using so they can either build the same way (though they'll not have any idea of why the ship was built that way, have no idea of the skill build, no idea of so many other things - it's just lazy) or they can attempt to build the perfect counter to that ship so they can either soothe their deflated egos or further pat themselves on the back to further inflate their egos.
Captain
# 22
02-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
No thanks. It get my privacy invaded enough by my own government.
They know what you're flying and you're on their list!
Empire Veteran
# 23
02-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
They know what you're flying and you're on their list!
High is the only way to fly.
Lol-Ive been on the "list" for a longtime.

Wait! We need to stop talking! I think I heard one of them silent alarms.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Lieutenant
# 24
02-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
Making PvP more accessible:

Cryptic should create an area in their forums to discuss PvP. Oh wait, they did.
In those forums, folks should share thoughts on tactics, team builds, roles, etc. Oh wait, they have and continue to do so.
It would be great if there was a stickied thread on ship and skill builds for PvP. Oh yeah, that's already there.
Perhaps there could be a thread collecting PvP movies so folks could watch fights to see what some folks do? Hrmmm, yep - that's there too.
Maybe somebody could put together a PvP channel so folks could ask and discuss PvP while in the game? Oh yeah, they did.
Perhaps there could be some sort of training thing - heck, maybe even with some Cryptic backing and publicity? Hrmmm, well then - that's there.

Even the OP's thing...guess what? It's already freaking there.

That's where the hostility really comes from. It's not hostility toward folks looking to learn, it's why I'm here - I'm looking to learn and get better. It's from the people that ignore all the stuff that people have done to make PvP so accessible...and then complain that it's not. I mean, ffs, seriously...put at least some appearance of effort into the matter - there are so many resources available...and so few bother taking advantage of them.

Frankly, I found the OP to be insulting to all the work that's been done here - and Hell, there are folks that I despise that post helpful information for others here, so even as I despise them - I have to respect them for what they're trying to do to make PvP that much more accessible and to get more folks into it. I don't respect somebody that just wants to look at what another person is using so they can either build the same way (though they'll not have any idea of why the ship was built that way, have no idea of the skill build, no idea of so many other things - it's just lazy) or they can attempt to build the perfect counter to that ship so they can either soothe their deflated egos or further pat themselves on the back to further inflate their egos.
I didn't mean to be insulting. I made the post ignorant of the community here; in fact, i logged in for the first time to make the post.

I made the post because I've come to really like this game, and I just wanted to talk about things that could've grabbed me sooner and felt that it was important to voice the "turn-offs" i went through that I believe other players have experienced. Those silent players that move on to games that are "more fun" never provide feedback of any kind.

Cryptic gets plenty of feedback from active players...although my OP did voice my own frustration, the goal was to help STO by providing feedback that could've kept those casual players that don't even bother saying anything.

The thing is, there are a lot of other games, and a lot of other F2P games for casual players to choose from, and I'd like more players to choose and stick with STO.
Commander
# 25
02-11-2013, 10:00 PM
I like to concentrate more on what I am bringing to the fight as I come from the "Proactive is better than the Reactive" School. The time you take to see what the other guy has, you are dealing with their attacking you.

Also, it is hard to create anti-builds until you get some experience with seeing what is actually out there. As a KDF player it is funny to see feddies bringing their PVE/ role play gear to a fight. Tip of the hat to the feddie PVP pros out there! Good fights all!

Seeing what gear one has will turn things more into player bashing as others have pointed out, for what they have equipped rather than why.

In my opinion, PVP would be more accessible if it was open world based with a reputation system tied in. Waiting on someone to join a 5v5 queue at end-game gets very old, very fast.
"Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8