Commander
# 1 Pi Canis Freighter Assault
02-12-2013, 07:18 AM
Hi there,

In doing the Pi Canis Sortie missions, the only one for which I'm still unable to get the bonus objective is the convoy assault. I just can't get all 5 freighters before they jump. Getting the first 3 to complete the basic mission is easy enough, but the Fed warships stall me long enough to let those last few transports warp to safety.

If anyone has any tips about how to approach this mission, I'd be very appreciative.

TIA
Captain
# 2
02-12-2013, 07:24 AM
Jump to the lead group as fast as possible, disable them but don't try to loot them yet. Kill the defenders while keeping the freighters disabled, and once the defenders are dead loot at your leisure.

...and bring cannons, LOTS of them.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $30 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Commander
# 3
02-12-2013, 07:56 AM
Okay, I know I've tried attacking from the front before, but I might not have tried not looting right away. Thanks!

How vital are CSV or TS? Some of my ships are a little light on multiattack capabilities; is it feasible to just drill one after another into submission?
Captain
# 4
02-12-2013, 08:03 AM
I think CSV is a waste of time on this mission tho TS could be handy. I use CRF instead of CSV but if you have cannon heavy ship you might try to lose the torps and go all cannons. If you search the forum theres a good thread from a few months ago with many more opinions on how to do the mission.

Here ya go: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...ight=freighter
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $30 to upgrade my Kamarag ?

Last edited by lordmalak1; 02-12-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Captain
# 5
02-13-2013, 10:11 AM
Be careful of collateral damage if you use spread/scatter attacks. If you pillage as you go, and 2 of the freighters explode before you've emptied 5, you WILL fail.

I think the game assumes that because 2 freighters are dead you can only get 4 lots of loot, and it ignores the fact you already HAVE loot from the burning wrecks.

ETA: Grav Well is awesome for holding them up.
Career Officer
# 6
02-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1986 View Post

I think the game assumes that because 2 freighters are dead you can only get 4 lots of loot, and it ignores the fact you already HAVE loot from the burning wrecks.
This fact infuriates me on a regular basis. Even after the mission has been declared "failed" I am still able to go on and complete the objective. This needs to be fixed!!
Captain
# 7
02-14-2013, 07:10 PM
IMO, CSV is invaluable to me, it allows me to take out two or three freighters in ten seconds of firing. Granted, that's because my KDF toon is a tactical officer, with a Guramba Siege Destroyer running all cannons and with EPtW, but yeah. It's an invaluable tool against time - in this case, beating the clock before the freighters jump away.

stardestroyer001, VA Explorers Fury | Retired STO Player
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More! | My Forum Gripes
PvP: PvP Boot Camp, the best newbie oriented training initiative in STO!
Career Officer
# 8
02-15-2013, 11:08 AM
The best strategy for a single player is to cloak, warp ahead to the furthest set of freighters, decloak, unleash hell. Knock all 3 of these lead freighters down to half health, then concentrate on the Starfleet vessel that has arrived to help. Destroy that enemy, then begin beaming over supplies from the freighters and attack the remaining 3 freighters. Try to beam over all the cargo from the ships before the 2nd Starfleet ship arrives to help.
Pro-Tip: Use Cannon Scatter Volley (CSV) or Fire at Will (FAW) to help pick up those optionals.
Commander
# 9
03-04-2013, 07:24 AM
Hi there,

I finally got the bonus objectives for this mission over the weekend. One of the things I did that I think helped is, in my Kamarag, one of my Science officer's abilities is Tachyon Beam. I really think that's been helping me batter down enemy shields, and consequently get all of the freighters looted in time.

But naturally, I wouldn't have gotten to that point without the help I got here in this thread, thanks.

Qapla, and all that.

Generator
Empire Veteran
# 10
03-04-2013, 08:07 AM
CSV is very useful. I get the optional every time, but with a lot of dps of course. It's really harder with a carrier and beams.