Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Commander
# 31
02-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Hope Cryptic didn't put all their eggs in the NW basket. First time, I actually looked at NW.

Doubt there are that many 4th Edition DnD fanboys (if any, tbh) that will be willing to whale up. Word on the street sounds pretty negative until one goes to the NW forums. I will refrain from saying something about fools and their money. Am sure they are nice fans of the IP. LOL

As an older gamer, NW looks quite dated to me and just more of the same small scale, heavily instanced gameplay. Am sure we can add lag as a feature, also.

Just noticed no mention of PVP on the NW site. Seriously? Just like DDO. How lame. I stayed away from DDO due to that. I used to PnP it up back in the day and had many scraps with party members requiring quite a few character re-rolls. There were even a few rl black eyes and loose teeth as a result.

Gratz to Cryptic for stretching their dollar and making sure I save mine!

May is coming!
"Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
Survivor of Romulus
# 32
02-12-2013, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by user839020189287 View Post
Just noticed no mention of PVP on the NW site. Seriously?
They said PVP would be in it at launch though, in that Total Biscuit video.

Last edited by idrona; 02-12-2013 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Fixed wrong link.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Neverwinter = Was never interested in Star Trek, just getting as much money as possible. Face it guys... you've been duped from day one into putting money into a game that is a side revenue generator for Neverwinter...

Sad but true... I see this game going further downhill, very soon. Besides I don't want to play Neverwinter, I want to play Star Trek... oh well.

Believe me, I was kinda hoping that Cryptic would cut this game when Neverwinter came out. That way at least I wouldn't have to deal with them again... ever.

Last edited by warbird001; 02-12-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Commander
# 34
02-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrona View Post
They said PVP would be in it at launch though, in that Total Biscuit video.
Until it is said on their website...

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-12-2013, 10:32 PM
As someone who played pen&paper DnD I have to say Neverwinter Online looks like World of ******** Clone no. xyz. Might be originated to the new style of version 4.0 (which I didn't like).

The graphic is incredible bad for a up to date game. I don't think I will try this.

So what mean this for STO - I think nothing.
Captain
# 36
02-12-2013, 10:51 PM
If it ain't 3d6 it ain't D&D.

*snortspit*
# 37
02-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post

*snortspit*
/agree

*shakes cane at them pesky kids*

Lieutenant
# 38
02-13-2013, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
*snortspit*
Not sure how you meant it, but you really aren't that far off. D&D was about chance, and how your character would turn out from the choices he/she made, not by choosing a special class. It was actually more realistic because of it.

For the first time I kind of checked it out myself. From an old school D&D player, it aint D&D. Pffft, a "Control Wizard".... really? Mages/Wizards gathered and learned their spells as they came across them/bought them/stole them. They were white/red/ black robed mages....or those that were renegade. Mages did not sit around and ponder which set would benefit their team play the most.

"So Raistlin, what kind of mage do you want to be?"
"Thank you for asking. I want to be a control mage so I can knock people down while my brother Caramon tanks them."

I know it's a new day and age, and D&D has changed here and there as time went on. This however is the storyline of D&D, without the substance of what D&D was. It is merely CoH/CO with a sword&sorcerer feel to it.

The problem is that they feel everyone is looking for those types of classes, and they may be right. Everyone has to be equal to each other, so you have to take choice out of the equation to insure no one is "less".

I hope I am wrong, but really, it doesn't matter. I am thoroughly enjoying STO right now.
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

"Maybe space is not the final frontier," - Luke Minhere
Commander
# 39
02-13-2013, 12:15 AM
3rd Edition went d20 system. 20 sided dice.

Captain
# 40
02-13-2013, 12:38 AM
The only problem I have with Neverwinter is everyone is restricted to 5 predetermined classes and 7 predetermined races. Sure more of them will open up, but with Cryptic creating games like City of Heroes and Champions Online, I expected more selection. As far as 3d6 goes, things get lost when translating a pnp game to a MMO. Although, the way I think of it, the computer now has the job of rolling the dice. Would require USB dice in order to do it correctly and I am sure that people would be too tired from doing a dungeon. I could see a dungeon require a thousand dice rolls based on what I have seen on that 5 man dungeon that seems to be in almost every Neverwinter closed beta video.