Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Empire Veteran
# 21
02-13-2013, 05:41 AM
Now if I could just afford purple tech doffs...
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Starfleet Veteran
# 22
02-13-2013, 05:55 AM
Great write up and needs to be stickied. I know this is pack full of information and should probably be read a couple of times before one attempts it.

Only thing I was wondering about was the effectiveness of photonic officer in this mix. I was thinking of using that before the a2b to try to reduce it further beyond the 30% while reducing its cooldown.
Captain
# 23
02-13-2013, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naevius View Post
Now if I could just afford purple tech doffs...
Head on out to the B'tran cluster and do the Colonial chain there. Completing the chain rewards a blue Tech DOff and unlocks a repeatable that gives you a purple Tech DOff on crit.
Captain
# 24
02-13-2013, 06:23 AM
Yeah, I recently swapped over to running a single A2B on my fleet tactical retrofit, and I'm definitely liking the improvement boost. I'm not nearly so technical a player to care overmuch about timers or knowing what abilities I have lined up, because most of my buffs are keybound to activate in a certain sequence with as few key presses as possible.

The added speed boost is nice and not at all difficult to account for either.
Empire Veteran
# 25
02-13-2013, 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrimcorsair View Post
Head on out to the B'tran cluster and do the Colonial chain there. Completing the chain rewards a blue Tech DOff and unlocks a repeatable that gives you a purple Tech DOff on crit.
I knew there was a reason to hang around the forums...
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Captain
# 26
02-13-2013, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
Great write up and needs to be stickied. I know this is pack full of information and should probably be read a couple of times before one attempts it.

Only thing I was wondering about was the effectiveness of photonic officer in this mix. I was thinking of using that before the a2b to try to reduce it further beyond the 30% while reducing its cooldown.
This is a repost, I think at least the 3rd one, so you might have seen me harp on this before.

On the topic of Photonic Officer and why it's so terrible.

TSS has a cooldown of 45 seconds.

PO1 takes this to 37 seconds.

PO1 lasts 1 minute.

TSS will receive no benefit from PO1 if it's triggered after the first 23 seconds of PO1.

Why? Let's say you trigger PO1 and 25 seconds later you trigger TSS. 35 seconds after that you're looking at TSS, waiting for it to come off of cooldown, when suddenly it jumps from 2 seconds to 10 seconds. PO1 wore off, and the reduced time was added back on.

This is throw stuff at the screen bad.

There's no reason it has to work this way, given that the Aux2Batt Technician cooldown does not. The Technician reduction just subtracts a set number of seconds from the current cooldown, literally taking seconds off the clock, without the possibility of adding them back on.

PO's effect can't help the abilities that need it most, the ones with really long cooldowns. The Technician reduction can be used multiple times on abilities like RSP until they hit their global.

So yes, the cooldown reductions will stack, but PO is awful. The good news is that bort said that it's likely to be completely redesigned.

Also, remember, you can cool things down past 30%. It's 30% (with 3 very rare techs) every time you activate A2B, so if you activate it twice while a power is on cd it will attempt to take another 30% off, but will hit the "horizontal" cd for most powers at 50%. That's why running 2 copies is so very different.
Starfleet Veteran
# 27
02-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Awesome thread Redricky...my marvelous Atb Chimera is really appreciating it...
K D F - Killing Disadvantaged Feds
K D F - The evul way to play Sto

Adm. Marcus orders: Punish the evul Klinguns! Punish the evul HOBOs! And nuclearize Qo'nos once and for all!
Captain
# 28
02-13-2013, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naevius View Post
I knew there was a reason to hang around the forums...
Fyi, last I checked there was at least 1 available in the Doff Store for dilithium or token reward for maxing out a Doff specialty.
Rihannsu
# 29
03-14-2013, 01:29 PM
I've heard forum chatter about using Aux to Batt, but never understood it, or it's ramifications. Thank you for spelling it out in such detail RedRicky. The examples, or "Case Studies" really help to provide examples, followed up by a specific sample build. Brilliant work!

And quite humorous too, lol. Thanks again!

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Need Help with Ship's Power? Check out my Ship Power Guide and Calculator.

Last edited by lordhavelock; 03-14-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 30
03-14-2013, 02:08 PM
im glad more people got to see this quality thread
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus