Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Empire Veteran
# 11
02-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemike View Post
The Fleet Excelsior is better as a tac cruiser... it can mount single cannons and actually be effective in using them.

The Fleet Ambassador is more towards a sci cruiser with that universal Lt. BOFF seat... set her up right and she'll always take you home (A paraphrase from Dr. McCoy during Encounter at Farpoint).

My thinking is, the Fleet Ambassador can become either more tac/sci/eng oriented depending on the situation. So it's more versatile than the Fleet Galaxy Class... ugh. Frak...

But DPS belongs to the Fleet Excelsior still.

Possible Fleet Ambassador builds might include:
-A tac oriented beam boat (because 2 Lt. tac BOFF seats means BO2 and HYT 2 are an option along with TorpSpread 2 and BFAW 2)
-A sci oriented cruiser that turns better than a Star Cruiser
-A Fleet version of the regular Ambassador class (return that Lt. BOFF seat to engineering)

Remember that during the Battle of Wolf 359 as shown in DS9's pilot 'Emissary', the Excelsior Class USS Melbourne was the first ship that the Borg Cube engaged and then afterwards the Ambassador Class USS Yamaguchi with the USS Saratoga were right behind it. A lot of good that did for either ship...
All ships can mount single cannons and turrets, I've tried a few such builds and still found myself liking breams.
Captain
# 12
02-13-2013, 12:54 PM
Fleet Excel:
Hull: 42900
Consoles:
4 Tac, 4 Eng, 2 Sci
BOff Layout:
LtCmdr Tac, Cmdr Engi, Lt Engi, Ens Engi, Lt Sci
Base Turn: 8
Shield Mod: 1.1 (I think)

Overall assessment: fugly as hell, but still has great tanking ability and damage output with the best maneuverability of any FED cruiser. Other than a sub-par BOff layout (and appearance), and an underwhelming science capability, this ship has no weaknesses.

Fleet Ambassador:
Hull: 43350
Consoles:
3 Tac, 4 Engi, 3 Sci
BOff Layout:
Lt Tac, Ensign Tac, Cmdr Engi, LtCmdr Sci, Lt Uni
Base Turn: 7
Shield Mod: 1.1

Overall assessment: fugly as hell, can tank decently, but suffers from a lower damage output somewhat offset by acceptable maneuverability for a fed cruiser. Also for some very strange reason this ship has the second highest hull of any FED ship. It has a balanced console layout, and it's BOff layout gives it slightly more utility (giving you access to an ES2, GW1, or TR2, OR you can go HE3, TSS3 etc), but sacrifices the ability to use two EPtX3. However, it's Uni Lt gives it the ability to go VERY science heavy for a cruiser. Overall, a balanced ship.

Comparatively, the two ships are equal but different. The Fleet Excel is a straight brute force DPS/Tank. It can take a TON of damage and give it back almost as hard with it's weapons and power management. The Fleet Ambassador is more of a Utility/Tank. It can tank decently (boosted hull gives it less susceptibility to bleed-through damage, but let's be honest, the Fleet Excel can hit almost 60k hp naturally, so bleedthrough is not an issue), not as well as the Excel (barely, and that depends on your BOff setup), a much lower straight damage output (one less console and lower level Tac BOff), but has far more utility and can be used much more creatively (LtCmdr Sci and Lt Sci anyone?).

Given a choice, I would just stick with my Imperial, but if I had to choose between the two, barring my dislike of both ships, I would probably pick the Ambassador since that ship would just be more fun to fly. LtCmdr Sci always makes things interesting.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
# 13
02-13-2013, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Fleet Ambassador:
Hull: 43350
Consoles:
3 Tac, 4 Engi, 3 Sci
BOff Layout:
Lt Tac, Ensign Tac, Cmdr Engi, LtCmdr Sci, Lt Uni
Base Turn: 7
Shield Mod: 1.1
What is it with Cryptic and making 200 year old ships perform better than brand new cutting edge ones? That's more hull than the Odyssey for crying out loud, and only 5% less shields.

Quote:
Given a choice, I would just stick with my Imperial, but if I had to choose between the two, barring my dislike of both ships, I would probably pick the Ambassador since that ship would just be more fun to fly. LtCmdr Sci always makes things interesting.
Or a tactical guy in the universal LT slot for two copies each of APB1 and THY1. Realistically speaking a CMD engineer and LTC science is a lot of durability.
Captain
# 14
02-13-2013, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
For 1 degree of separation, the use of the word superior seems like hyperbole.
That one degree of separation is noticeable when I left my Excel and tried the same power levels and other relevant setups for turning. It actually felt slow to me.
Commander
# 15
02-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bwild1 View Post
Looking at the stats and the BO layout which should perform better?
Excelsior is better hands down. The Devs should +1 the Ambassadors turn rate and then it would at least be closer than it presently is, however, the Excelsior still puts out more DPS than Ambassador, which kind of makes you wonder what's the point of the Ambassador or Galaxy Class in the game since the Excelsior is better than both of them, but hey that's the Devs for ya.

The Ambassador's BO is good if you have a Sci toon, with his extra Sci/Universal slot, but beyond that, I advise go with the Excelsior. It's a better ship, and in a PvP you'll likely win (b/c Excelsior is simply superior).
http://media.photobucket.com/image/dofftrader/yoreantiques/DOFFtrader.gif
Captain
# 16
02-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragon92518 View Post
Excelsior is better hands down. The Devs should +1 the Ambassadors turn rate and then it would at least be closer than it presently is, however, the Excelsior still puts out more DPS than Ambassador, which kind of makes you wonder what's the point of the Ambassador or Galaxy Class in the game since the Excelsior is better than both of them, but hey that's the Devs for ya.

The Ambassador's BO is good if you have a Sci toon, with his extra Sci/Universal slot, but beyond that, I advise go with the Excelsior. It's a better ship, and in a PvP you'll likely win (b/c Excelsior is simply superior).
The Ambassador is a "disruption" cruiser. It can roll in and act like most cruisers of the line but can also disrupt enemies well enough with the sci lt.cmdr with stuff like photonic shockwave, jam sensors, GW2 et al to throw enough of a wrench in the enemy to help the other guys out.

Its basically a half step from using a Tac Uni'd Nebula

In that role , its certainly better than the Star Cruiser. Just don't try to make it a heal or dps boat, there are other cruisers better for that.