Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
I read the following on yahoo movies.

"He's being a pig," Shatner said during an interview with Movie Fanatic. "He's collecting the two franchises and holding them close to his vest. He's probably the most talented director of that ilk that we have but he's gone too far this time."

I am sure he is saying what a lot of people feel. Me on the other hand, I just hope he does a great job on whatever film he does.

You can read the rest of it here:

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-...181738978.html
Captain
# 2
02-14-2013, 06:37 AM
Quote:
"I think of him as a buddy of mine; I've taken him out for sushi," said Shatner in his interview with Movie Fanatic. "I think it's time for J.J. and I to have another sushi and let me put him straight on two of the largest franchises ... and not employing me in either one of them I think is just foolhardy."
Shatner did this sort of thing the last time. He's talking nonsense because gullible newsies who have space to fill will report on it. Giving both him and the new movie some free promotion.
# 3
02-14-2013, 06:38 AM
Ah, the Shatner fills the room with hot air again...

Porthos is not amused.
Career Officer
# 4
02-14-2013, 06:44 AM
I don't think of it as hot air so much as it is him being disappointed at not having been asked to play a role in any of these movies that J.J. Abrams is directing/producing (which one is he again?)
# 5
02-14-2013, 06:49 AM
I like Shatner in his newer roles, like in that lawyer series, and when he plays old and grumpy. Never liked the old Star Trek much tbh, where he was Kirk (always liked Spock though).. *Not sure how much on-topic this was*
Career Officer
# 6
02-14-2013, 06:52 AM
I just find his overwhelming narcissism to be extremely off-putting.

(I know, if he wasn't that way we wouldn't have ST today, etc., etc...)

Porthos is not amused.
Lieutenant
# 7
02-14-2013, 07:25 AM
There is a webpage that points out several flaws / gaping holes in Abrams' version of ST. It was a list of things, like 10 things, or 15 things...I can't remember.

It was an interesting read and made me think...oh yeah..I didn't even think of that.

The movie was made for the no-thinking action crowd; no techno speak or explanations or care of why something is this way when clearly it didn't need to be this way, etc.
Empire Veteran
# 8
02-14-2013, 01:59 PM
My initial reaction was sort of along the same lines as Shatner. Why does he get Star Trek and Star Wars? But the simple truth is that Disney gave Star Wars to Abrams because he so effectively revitalized Star Trek. Love it or hate it, there's no denying that the newest Trek movie was a huge success and Disney is hoping we'll see more of the same from Abrams with Star Wars. They're looking at it from a financial perspective. And I'm one of those people who actually enjoyed the new movie.

And really, Shatner has no business criticizing anyone else when we're discussing how Trek should be handled. When it was given to him the end result was Star Trek V.
Career Officer
# 9
02-14-2013, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by variant37 View Post

And really, Shatner has no business criticizing anyone else when we're discussing how Trek should be handled. When it was given to him the end result was Star Trek V.
I know The Final Frontier is everyone's least favorite Trek movie, but it really wasn't all that bad, once you get past trying to teach Spock a song for preschool children and Nichelle Nichols' 50-year-old thighs.

"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkwing43 View Post
"He's being a pig," Shatner said during an interview with Movie Fanatic. "He's collecting the two franchises and holding them close to his vest. He's probably the most talented director of that ilk that we have but he's gone too far this time."
I think Abrams got hired by the two franchises. He's not going out and catching them like Pokemon.