Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,034
I find it ironic that the spotlight is reserved solely for story missions while the PvE queue missions are not. It is my belief that the spotlight should be used to highlight well designed, enjoyable, and non exploitative missions.

The foundry is for user generated content. Some users prefer blowing stuff up, some reading, others I have no clue. I find this restriction creates far too narrow of a focus and alienates a large portion of the playerbase from the spotlight.

And in that respect where are the rules or guidelines for the foundry listed?
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 432
# 2
02-14-2013, 07:33 AM
It really is unfortunate that a nicely designed mission that is fun, and happens to provide decent rewards, should be out of the running due to a lack of story.
__________________________________________
Foundry: Yet Another Borg Mission
It's terrible but easy, and these Borg are way cooler than the mess STO and Voyager left us.
May not actually be "way" cooler or even "slightly" cooler.
Former PWE Community Team Lead
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,046
# 3
02-14-2013, 07:47 AM
The Foundry Spotlight is just that, a spotlight. It's promoted on our site, it's promoted in the Mission Journal, and it's promoted by Star Trek.com. It's reserved for those story missions we think players would enjoy playing and those we find to be incredible. Missions like those that were suggested in the other thread are fun and we offer rewards for completing them (as long as they conform to EULA and qualify), but when I'm looking for missions to consider for the spotlight, I look for them to have fun content AND a great story.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,048
# 4
02-14-2013, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
I find it ironic that the spotlight is reserved solely for story missions while the PvE queue missions are not. It is my belief that the spotlight should be used to highlight well designed, enjoyable, and non exploitative missions.
Do you think the devs are proud of "no win scenario" compared to "Temporal Ambassador"? If they were spotlighting their own content, what would they choose?
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 281
# 5
02-14-2013, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
The Foundry Spotlight is just that, a spotlight. It's promoted on our site, it's promoted in the Mission Journal, and it's promoted by Star Trek.com. It's reserved for those story missions we think players would enjoy playing and those we find to be incredible. Missions like those that were suggested in the other thread are fun and we offer rewards for completing them (as long as they conform to EULA and qualify), but when I'm looking for missions to consider for the spotlight, I look for them to have fun content AND a great story.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
So, really the rules for the spotlight are just the missions that you personally like? That seems a little one sided. There is a large and diverse player base in this game and in Trek fandom. Yet one person gets to be the 'decider' on what is 'good' or not?

Here is my suggestion. Once a month have a players' choice mission get spotlighted. Open the decision up to ALL the players on what they think is a good and fun player made mission and let everyone vote.

Beers,

Jengoz [%]D

Last edited by jengoz; 02-14-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Former PWE Community Team Lead
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,046
# 6
02-14-2013, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengoz View Post
So, really the rules for the spotlight are just the missions that you personally like? That seems a little one sided. There is a large and diverse player base in this game and in Trek fandom. Yet one person gets to be the ?decider? on what is ?good? or not?

Here is my suggestion. Once a month have a players? choice mission get spotlighted. Open the decision up to ALL the players on what they think is a good and fun player made mission and let everyone vote.

Beers,

Jengoz [%]D
Here's how it works: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...ht#post7997091

As you'll read, they are suggested by the community and I review. As we're trying to spotlight one a week, your suggestion may be more difficult to implement. However! I'm open to feedback so feel free to leave it here

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Community Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,659
# 7
02-14-2013, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengoz View Post
So, really the rules for the spotlight are just the missions that you personally like? That seems a little one sided.
He's the Community Manager; who else would decide what gets official notice? Internal promotion of the game is his job.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 281
# 8
02-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
Here's how it works: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...ht#post7997091

As you'll read, they are suggested by the community and I review. As we're trying to spotlight one a week, your suggestion may be more difficult to implement. However! I'm open to feedback so feel free to leave it here

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
That is my feedback. Have more diversity in how missions are picked for spotlight. Open up voting at the start of the month for two weeks or so for a player?s choice. And have people vote via forum messages or the forum voting plug-in you used before.

How about some other spotlight criteria for that matter? Like a mission picked by the Devs over in the Cryptic office.

You would still be able to pick once a weeks:
Week 1 - Brandflakes' Pick
Week 2 - Devs Choice Pick
Week 3 - Brandflakes' pick or Foundry Challenge Winner
Week 4 - Players' Coice Pick

And for that matter, why MUST missions have a good story? And many others have pointed out, much of the new content the Devs are adding to the game have no story at all, just epic battles. Why can that not be a criteria for a good foundry mission? Why not have themes? Great Story Mission? Epic Space Battle Mission? Awesome Ground Skirmish Mission? Engaging Diplomacy Mission? Comic Spoof Mission? Charming Role-play Mission? This reason that you are starting to repeat spotlighting the same authors is because they are the only ones making missions that fit your narrow definition of what makes a good or fun mission. Widen your focus and accept that Star Trek has a great diversity and many definitions of what is fun.

Beers,

Jengoz [%]D

Last edited by jengoz; 02-14-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 743
# 9
02-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengoz View Post
Here is my suggestion. Once a month have a players' choice mission get spotlighted. Open the decision up to ALL the players on what they think is a good and fun player made mission and let everyone vote.

Beers,

Jengoz [%]D
Isn't that what the ratings system does? Every player that rates a mission is effectively "voting" on whether or not it will appear in a search for top-rated missions. It's not quite a "spotlight" but it's basically the same thing. Besides, how else would missions get voted on? Would someone take submissions, and then select a few missions for players to vote on? That's basically what happens now - and you'd still be faced with the issue of one person deciding which missions make it to the voting block.

I will say that having the devs get together and play a few missions, and pick one to spotlight, would be cool, if only to say that the latest Spotlight was a "devs' choice." But there's still the issue of choosing which missions to present the team with, which would fall on Branflakes again (unless you expect the devs to play through every single player-suggested mission).
Join Date: July 29 2008

Last edited by felderburg; 02-14-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,265
# 10
02-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengoz View Post
That is my feedback. Have more diversity in how missions are picked for spotlight. Open up voting at the start of the month for two weeks or so for a player?s choice. And have people vote via forum messages or the forum voting plug-in you used before.

How about some other spotlight criteria for that matter? Like a mission picked by the Devs over in the Cryptic office.

You would still be able to pick once a weeks:
Week 1 - Brandflakes' Pick
Week 2 - Devs Choice Pick
Week 3 - Brandflakes' pick or Foundry Challenge Winner
Week 4 - Players' Coice Pick

And for that matter, why MUST missions have a good story? And many others have pointed out, much of the new content the Devs are adding to the game have no story at all, just epic battles. Why can that not be a criteria for a good foundry mission? Why not have themes? Great Story Mission? Epic Space Battle Mission? Awesome Ground Skirmish Mission? Engaging Diplomacy Mission? Comic Spoof Mission? Charming Role-play Mission? This reason that you are starting to repeat spotlighting the same authors is because they are the only ones making missions that fit your narrow definition of what makes a good or fun mission. Widen your focus and accept that Star Trek has a great diversity and many definitions of what is fun.

Beers,

Jengoz [%]D
I think this is a great idea. It could even be the compromise we need to finally end the Foundry War once and for all!
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:24 AM.