Survivor of Romulus
# 201
02-14-2013, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinru821 View Post
Couldn't Cryptic at least give us the reasoning behind taking away the FMs from foundry missions?

Or do we all have to flame the heck out of the forums again before Mr Stahl reveals why?

Now the poor authors won't get nearly as many players playing their missions. I feel for em!

Maybe just a reduction to 20-25 would have been better. 50 was kinda high, especially for big fleets.
You want to know why they're taking them away? Because Foundry Authors of 3 hour long missions were whining that people weren't playing their missions. So, this is all because of about .01% of the playerbase being satisfied, when the rest of the 99.99% is being screwed over. And 50 was not too high.
Commander
# 202
02-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Engineering Team now breaks cloak.

My B'rel is now both uselss in eSTFs and cant even heal himself.

Oh and the borg still hit us for 50k with a normal torpedo. Was just in a KASE, cleared everything but the tac cube at the end slaughtered us. It was one shotting everyone in the team. We actually ended up with zero living players for awhile. We blew the gate with 8 minutes left on the clock and lost the optional by time over.

Guess its time to play something else for a while. I could see how the mines would be overpowered if everyone used them but I never saw that in the pugs I did. It was just a fun toy that I liked to use. Saved the day many times, now worthless, cant even puch through the shield of a normal elite cube. Had to sit there watching it do whatever it wanted because nothing I had on my bomber could get its shields down to do dmg to the hull.

Oh and I don't remember there being a universal ticobalt cooldown before. Firing a trico torpedo now puts my mines on a timer and dropping a mine now puts all my trico torpedos on timers. I know that dropping a mine would put the other trico mines on a 30 second timer but firing a trico device did not affect my mines before. The difference really stuck out when I was doing a bombing run.

EDIT: The boff slotting bug also went live. If you change ships you can't change your boffs. If you zone a couple of times it seems to right itself but how much it takes is random. I changed ships, went to FIrst city, went to orbit, went to first city, exited, logged in, went to orbit, went to sector and I was finally able to change my boffs. Another player had to go to a different sector before they were able to change boffs.

Last edited by ikuruyo; 02-14-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Career Officer
# 203
02-14-2013, 02:21 PM
What are you guys going to do know that many of your players are going to leave over this Big Oops !! you just made.
Starfleet Veteran
# 204
02-14-2013, 02:35 PM
I'd just like someone to explain why they even have Tribble as a test server?

All it does is gives us two opportunities to yell at Cryptic - once when they break Tribble, and again when the reported game-breaking bugs on Tribble get moved to Holodeck two days later.

If I was constantly screwing up, I'd at least want to minimize my tongue-lashings to one instead of two.

Proposed solution: Quit calling Tribble the test server and call it the bug preview server.

No one could complain then that we weren't getting exactly what we were told we were getting.
Commander
# 205
02-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by petst0ne View Post
You want to know why they're taking them away? Because Foundry Authors of 3 hour long missions were whining that people weren't playing their missions. So, this is all because of about .01% of the playerbase being satisfied, when the rest of the 99.99% is being screwed over. And 50 was not too high.
[citation needed]

I submit that it is just as likely, if not moreso, that Cryptic looked at their own internal data, saw that people were earning "too many" fleet marks doing the "wrong" things, and made this decision unilaterally, as usual - completely ignoring what any group of players thought, also as usual.
Survivor of Romulus
# 206
02-14-2013, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Once every 24 hours, the first spotlight mission completed in that time frame will get a bonus 1440 Dilithium.
Quote:
Once every 24 hours, the first spotlight mission completed in that time frame will get a scaling amount of Energy Credits, based on the player's level.
this did not happen I got a total of 1,364 dilithium for doing a spotlight mission "Spectres, Episode Six" on holodeck the day of the patch so your so called bonus is not working and I recieved no EC

Last edited by bughunter357; 02-14-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Ensign
# 207 My few cents.
02-14-2013, 04:02 PM
Alright, I've just recently started playing again within the last month when I have leisure time in-between other things. Normally I just browse the forums, randomly, however I finally decided to post, don't know if that is really a good thing or not.

While there were some things changed in the recent season, which were much needed, for me it is still the same old grind with different names. Also one of the things I've seem a number of times is that there is a noticeable flux in some type of income overall, which case it is "nerfed" in some way without introducing a different way of achieving it.

While this game has changed a good amount, like I stated before, the new game play just seems like the same random grind; I'd like to add some constructive comments and concepts I've been thinking about for a while.

Second many concepts do not tie in well, which creates massive imbalances in the game; loot, crafting and general market systems. These things actually need more of a player influence. Once you are level 50, capped, much of the loot/items you receive is readily useless and a waste of time, so it's converted to EC at some point or another.

---

Starbases and Fleets

First and forth most, these must be changed to introduce a more 'fleet'-like play rather than only having a community chest for griding to level up tiers. I must add the actual instance is hardly used, and interior that people will use for all of five minutes to que up DOFF missions or general missions, the same with ship interiors.

Thus I suggest changing all of this. Make it so that the Fleet Starbase is actually in use and has meaning. Make the instant have a constant event, where things are constantly happening related to the levels of the starbase, contrast with of how many people are 'actively online, in the instant'. This can be done by:
  • General attack swarms, which hamper facilities of the Starbase, over the course of the day, say Raiders Orions, whomever. Also based on whats attacking, say BORG rep Marks could be rewarded, along with Fleet Marks.
  • The starbase based on Tier level has standing AI defenses, or making defenses (ships/turrets/etc) which are being built, disabled or boarded through the course of the event. The defenses can be upgraded using an 'leadership/command' interface tied into fleet. So this would imply slight RTS like elements.
    • Donate TRAINED BOFFs to the Fleet to spawn/build ships based on factors as stated before.
    • This will also make it so that BOFFs have a point beyond being setup for ships and doing the random the bland ground missions, after a while.
    • Donate constructive (ground/space: random shield/armor/kit/hypo/etc) MK space/ground equipment to apply buffs to the BOFFs and ship.
    • Have beam down and repair, fight off invading force, disabled ships/defenses parts of the starbase.
    • Have DOFFs assist with DOFF missions which repair parts of the starbase.
    • While the starbase is disabled/under attack the facilities/services offered are reduced or offline.
    • Introduce a crafting system (based on tier level, giving engineering teir more of a point), for building Starbase standing ships and defenses.
    • Introduce random anomalies in starbase instances which are related to the sci teir, which must be investigated, etc.
    • Introduce a wave system and difficulty system which scales based on the amount of people taking part.
      • Introduce a 'fleet' red alert, which will automatically warp individuals in the fleet to the instance and allow them to invite outsiders when the waves are becoming extremely heavy and to many things are offline in the instance.
    • Rewards
      • Have the rewards scale, rewarded on what is going based on tier level, the amount of people in the instance. This way small fleets can join someone else instance or have people join theirs to 'assist'.
    • Starbase LIST
      • Introduce a LIST, where people can scroll Starbase instances and which fleet they belong to. Not that the guest can actually use the internal Starbase itself but can instance hop to assist to get Fleet Marks by repairing disabled things, or destroying ships, etc. If there is a wave event going on.
      • LIST Opposing Fractions Starbases
        • This will give more depth to the other fractions (klink), they can show up the Fed instance, attack the third party (until it's the same fraction) while attacking the Starbase hampering it

Team System
  • Change how the team system works in large events. Make the Team LIST everyone in the actual event rather than teaming with four other people, the system has to be more interactive. The actual team gui/menu can easily be graphically made sleeker to fit more people on it. Make it so based on different factors, say distance, people show up on the top of the LIST, or make it so that teams have a fleet like 'wing' interface so that teams stick together and get 'wing' buffs based on distance.

Solo Play
  • Exploring
    • To actually make Solo Play exploring has more a key draw to the area generator. Have the things 'race assisted in it' be it whatever race, sends a small attachment to the starbase to assist with the constant event for a short amount of time. That or there is some type of buff, say slight increases to crafted ship production.

Last edited by deiflux; 02-14-2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Clean up.
Survivor of Romulus
# 208
02-14-2013, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deiflux View Post
Alright, I've just recently started playing again within the last month when I have leisure time in-between other things.

While there were some decent amount of things changed in the recent season which were much needed, for me it is still the same old grind with different names. Also one of the things I've seem a number of times is that there is a noticeable flux in some type of income overall, which case it is "nerfed" in some way without introducing a different way of achieving it.

While this game has changed a good amount, like I stated before, the new game play just seems like the same random grind; I'd like to add some constructive comments and concepts I've been thinking about for a while.

Second many concepts do not tie in well, which creates massive imbalances in the game; loot, crafting and general market systems. These things actually need more of a player influence. Once you are level 50, capped, much of the loot/items you receive is readily useless and a waste of time, so it's converted to EC at some point or another.

---

Starbases and Fleets

First and forth most, these must be changed to introduce a more 'fleet'-like play rather than having a community chest for griding to level up tiers. I must add the actual instance is hardly used, and interior that people will use for all of five minutes to que up DOFF missions or general missions, the same with ship interiors.

Thus I suggest changing all of this. Make it so that the Fleet Starbase is actually in use and has meaning. Make the instant have a constant event, where things are constantly happening related to the levels of the starbase, contrast with of how many people are 'actively online, in the instant'. This can be done by:
  • General attack swarms, which hamper facilities of the Starbase, over the course of the day, say Raiders Orions, whomever. Also based on whats attacking, say BORG rep Marks could be rewarded, along with Fleet Marks.
  • The starbase based on Tier level has standing AI defenses, or making defenses (ships/turrets/etc) which are being built, disabled or boarded through the course of the event. The defenses can be upgraded using an 'leadership/command' interface tied into fleet. So this would imply slight RTS like elements.
    • Donate TRAINED BOFFs to the Fleet to spawn/build ships based on factors as stated before.
    • This will also make it so that BOFFs have a point beyond being setup for ships and doing the random the bland ground missions, after a while.
    • Donate constructive (ground/space: random shield/armor/kit/hypo/etc) MK space/ground equipment to apply buffs to the BOFFs and ship.
    • Have beam down and repair, fight off invading force, disabled ships/defenses parts of the starbase.
    • Have DOFFs assist with DOFF missions which repair parts of the starbase.
    • While the starbase is disabled/under attack the facilities/services offered are reduced or offline.
    • Introduce a crafting system (based on tier level, oh look engineering teir has a point), for building Starbase standing ships and defenses.
    • Introduce a wave system and difficulty system which scales based on the amount of people taking part.
      • Introduce a 'fleet' red alert, which will automatically warp individuals in the fleet to the instant and allow them to invite outsiders when the waves are becoming extremely heavy and to many things are offline in the instance.
    • Rewards
      • Have the rewards scale, rewarded on what is going based on tier level, the amount of people in the instant. This way small fleets can join someone else instance or have people join theirs to 'assist'.
    • Starbase LIST
      • Introduce a LIST, where people can scroll Starbase instances and which fleet they belong to. Not that the guest can actually use the internal Starbase itself but can instant hop to assist to get Fleet Marks by repairing disabled things, or destroying ships, etc. If there is a wave event going on.
      • LIST Opposing Fractions Starbases
        • This will give more depth to the other fractions (klink), they can show up the Fed instant, attack the third party (until it's the same fraction) while attacking the Starbase hampering.

Team System
  • Change how the team system works in large events. Make the Team LIST everyone in the actual event rather than teaming with four other people, the system has to be more interactive. The actual team gui/menu can easily be graphically made sleeker to fit more people on it. Make it so based on different factors, say distance, people show up on the top of the LIST, or make it so that teams have a fleet like 'wing' interface so that teams stick together and get 'wing' buffs based on distance.

Solo Play
  • Exploring
    • To actually make Solo Play exploring has more a key draw to the area generator. Have the things 'race assisted in it' be it whatever race, sends a small attachment to the starbase to assist with the constant event for a short amount of time. That or there is some type of buff, say slight increases to crafted ship production.
If I remember right while testing Season 6 they had a red alert for the fleets and it failed or was so badly bugged that they dropped that idea and put it in the que system instead, beside that I like the idea although I doubt it would be implemented as the fleet system was a semi suscess cryptic is wanting to finish out the story missions for Season 8 and 9 and maybe then they might go and overhaul the fleet system to make things better for the smaller fleets and so on but then your looking at maybe a year or so off before that's even attempted, great idea though
Commander
# 209
02-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam73 View Post
I'd just like someone to explain why they even have Tribble as a test server?

All it does is gives us two opportunities to yell at Cryptic - once when they break Tribble, and again when the reported game-breaking bugs on Tribble get moved to Holodeck two days later.

If I was constantly screwing up, I'd at least want to minimize my tongue-lashings to one instead of two.

Proposed solution: Quit calling Tribble the test server and call it the bug preview server.

No one could complain then that we weren't getting exactly what we were told we were getting.
Yup it just shows that they don't take their own test server seriously and instead choose to force patches onto the live server for test duty with the masses.

I presume their reasoning for this would be "well the alternative is waiting weeks longer for patches" but uh, I rather wait weeks for patches than live with bugged **** for days to weeks to months to years.

It's negative light that is easily prevented. It's also easy to motivate players to use the test server. They just aren't willing to give out rewards year round when they can take some heat and just unleash a mess onto the live server and make everyone bug test their coding. Would it be so terrible to set up a "veteran rewards" type of system for playtime on the test server? Not that we could get access to the kind of rewards veteran rewards hands out, I'm just using it as a prime example of what's on my mind. Reward people and they will come. I've done seen enough of this kind of 'live server testing' practice by game devs. It's a terrible practice unless you make it a mission to fix things within a day or two of breaking stuff. Then it's pretty much forgivable but only then.
Career Officer
# 210
02-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Just checked the Rom boffs, they still have their traits bugged in the boff store, not sure if maybe they are working properly if you buy them. Not gonna try though.

Why does it say its fixed in the patch notes?