Captain
# 81
02-14-2013, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrodura View Post
i am just giving my idea. but seem like your Stoking me. must be my new dilithium crystals Cologne.
Come up with a solution other than "everyone join a 400 man zerg fleet" and maybe I'll take you seriously.
Survivor of Remus
# 82
02-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophere View Post
Eloquent idea sir.

So this would be controlled totally by Cryptic yes? So no large fleet could just take a smaller fleets resources without even a kiss? Or how about the small fleet that starts a project and just abandons it? I don't believe Cryptic would want to micromange these almost certain issues.

Also this completely overlooks a reason why many small fleets continue to grind away... the satisfaction of doing it on your own without handouts or help, just wanting the opportunity before they die or the lights go out. There is nothing a few good men with enough repeatative wrist injury risking activites and a little personal electronic sweat cannot do. Good Bless America.

Ohhh crap.... I used to be Canadian...
Valid concerns, but they idea I have is fairly self-regulating:

1) The smaller fleet puts resources into a "requisition whatever" project. Once that is full, it does the usual 20 hour complete time. This 20 hours window is where you can take advantage of the project. If the smaller fleet opts not to do so, then that is on them. Investing in this project generates fleet credits, just like any other project.

2) Neither fleet can take resources. Only accept those invested in the requisition projects and only when the quota for the project has been met. Larger fleets can use these projects to help boost smaller fleets by feeding them resources n exchange for EC. Equally sized fleets with different equipment availability can do this as a way of exchanging access so they can both benefit equally. A smaller fleet can use this to gain temporary access to a larger fleet's equipment vendors and ship yards. It's self-regulating and entirely option.

3) If a project has not had its resource requirements met by the time the agreement ends, then the project self-cancels. Where the resources invested go is open for discussion. Since the agreements last a minimum set amount of time, a smaller fleet should have enough time to take advantage of at least two requisition projects. ideally, a small fleet will have saved up a little in anticipation, but even so, they should be able to eek out at least one.

4) This also has the potential to help smaller fleets progress their star bases more quickly. T3 is about where the effort for progressing becomes too onerous for small fleets. However, T3 ship yards are where you get some of the more popular fleet ships. A smaller fleet can make agreements to exchange access to those ship yards for resources to devote to expansion. The limited number of concurrent requisition agreements and long cool-down time to cancel them means that no single fleet can ever effectively dominate at this. There will always be a smaller fleet looking for a leg-up.

5) Lastly, it helps promote social play by giving players more meaningful non-combat ways of interacting.

The underlying maths, like drop rate for FC and DOffs, or the costs of the requisition projects is up to cryptic, of course, but the system itself seems fairly flexible and easy to use/understand if implemented correctly.
Starfleet Veteran
# 83
02-14-2013, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
Come up with a solution other than "everyone join a 400 man zerg fleet" and maybe I'll take you seriously.

i see you still checking me out i feel that love . you just trying to put someone down to make you feel good about yourself i will give you a hug.
i have 3 friends with fleet thay have been looking to add to there members rooster 1 fleet went recruiting and recruited 100 players in 1 weekend not hard to do. but my other 2 friends would like to merger with other fleet they see the problem ahead and know the answer is quality players not cry on the forums we cant do the projects. for a good healthy fleet you need at least 200 active members. This is not hard to find. i have help other fleet recruit you need help ask contact me on the multi-fleet channel. we have about 8 fleets working together on that channel join us ask for help we will help.
Starfleet Veteran
# 84
02-14-2013, 04:35 PM
"You got five friends together, created a fleet, had some fun, recruited more members, expanded your starbase... now you're stagnant at Tier-III with 50 members, only 20 log in during a given month--barely 10 daily... and if you can find 3 to play with in the same time zone, you consider it a good day.

Does this sound like the regular activity? Want to push the boundaries? Wish you could log into the game and know, instantly, that you'll always have a group of fellow fleet members to explore with?

Me too! So, here's my idea: get a few small-to-medium fleets and merge them together. We'll get more officers, more roleplaying, more grinding, better starbase and embassy, and more of everything. As long as we're smart about planning for a merge, and careful who we merge with, we can ensure a wide variety of play styles ranging from the casual to the elite--all without the "little guy" getting lost in the masses of an uber-large fleet.

Frontier Fleet was founded on the idea that we're all playing Star Trek for a reason. For us, that reason is immersing ourselves in the Star Trek universe and being able to loose ourselves to our imaginations and forget, for a few hours, that it's just a game. We're role-play oriented, but not hard-core. We're casual, but encourage active participation. We have a solid foundation and a well organized structure to allow for the greatest flexibility in play styles for all members.

We have several projects going on, including Foundry collaborations, both in-game and forum-based role-play, and our big project, Star Trek: Infinite Horizons--a fleet-produced web-series filmed entirely in STO.

The only thing we're missing is your dedicated officers. What do you say? Do you want to join up with is and explore the final Frontier?

VAdm Robert Charles Graham
U.S.S. Gawain, NCC-91980
Fleet Commander
sto-frontier-fleet.proboards.com

this is perfect thank you Robert

Last edited by hydrodura; 02-14-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Captain
# 85
02-14-2013, 04:43 PM
Quote:
<snip>
Quote:
<snip>
You don't actually understand the issue at hand, do you...
Captain
# 86
02-14-2013, 04:47 PM
I'm seeing too much "if only they would.." and not enough "Why did they gimp our fleet marking!?"

This should seriously anger you.
Starfleet Veteran
# 87
02-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
You don't actually understand the issue at hand, do you...
I understand it and we conquer it. for anyone who want real solution contact me. crying over spill milk get you no where. it not hard but you have to work for it. nothing is just handle to you. start listening to stoke radio many of us are willing to help. make this game fun for all. what this game all about it about good old fashion fun for the love of star trek.

Last edited by hydrodura; 02-14-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Career Officer
# 88
02-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squatsauce View Post
Valid concerns, but they idea I have is fairly self-regulating:

1) The smaller fleet puts resources into a "requisition whatever" project. Once that is full, it does the usual 20 hour complete time. This 20 hours window is where you can take advantage of the project. If the smaller fleet opts not to do so, then that is on them. Investing in this project generates fleet credits, just like any other project.

2) Neither fleet can take resources. Only accept those invested in the requisition projects and only when the quota for the project has been met. Larger fleets can use these projects to help boost smaller fleets by feeding them resources n exchange for EC. Equally sized fleets with different equipment availability can do this as a way of exchanging access so they can both benefit equally. A smaller fleet can use this to gain temporary access to a larger fleet's equipment vendors and ship yards. It's self-regulating and entirely option.

3) If a project has not had its resource requirements met by the time the agreement ends, then the project self-cancels. Where the resources invested go is open for discussion. Since the agreements last a minimum set amount of time, a smaller fleet should have enough time to take advantage of at least two requisition projects. ideally, a small fleet will have saved up a little in anticipation, but even so, they should be able to eek out at least one.

4) This also has the potential to help smaller fleets progress their star bases more quickly. T3 is about where the effort for progressing becomes too onerous for small fleets. However, T3 ship yards are where you get some of the more popular fleet ships. A smaller fleet can make agreements to exchange access to those ship yards for resources to devote to expansion. The limited number of concurrent requisition agreements and long cool-down time to cancel them means that no single fleet can ever effectively dominate at this. There will always be a smaller fleet looking for a leg-up.

5) Lastly, it helps promote social play by giving players more meaningful non-combat ways of interacting.

The underlying maths, like drop rate for FC and DOffs, or the costs of the requisition projects is up to cryptic, of course, but the system itself seems fairly flexible and easy to use/understand if implemented correctly.
Again thanks for the detailed and well written description of your idea.

Couple suggestions if I understand this properly:

1. That the smaller fleet must first completely fill the project.

2. Once completed the project requisition should go into a fleetwide offering pool that works on a first come first served system.

3. That should the small fleets requisition not be filled in a reasonable amount of time, the requisition can be retracted and all resources input be redistributed to any other projects they might have ongoing in house.

This could be a lovely system as long as large fleets wish to help.... but to be honest still like my idea better
I used to have f/x, till my video card took a S9 to the knee...
Captain
# 89
02-14-2013, 05:27 PM
Quote:
I understand it and i conquer it.
For about the sixth time, zombie fleets are not a universal solution.

Quote:
it not hard but you have to work for it. nothing is just handle to you.
I guess I missed the part where people are demanding that T5 starbases be handed out for free to everyone. All people are asking for is equality of access without having to surrender their playstyle, their independence, and their identity to a mega-fleet. 95% of players are willing to put in meaningful effort for a meaningful reward.

Quote:
make this game fun for all.
If you actually believed that you'd be participating in the discussion beyond repeating the tired refrain of "recruit hundreds of complete strangers into your fleets".

Quote:
what this game all about it about good old fashion fun for the love of star trek.
Which is absolutely not what the current fleet holding system engenders.
Captain
# 90
02-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Well the fleet I'm in is going through the tearful process of trying to join another fleet as we're too small now to continue. I hear a lot of this "You should recruit more", "You recruit by PMing and getting to know people" and all sorts of other stuff.

Myself and 2 other players from my fleet regularly do elite space STFs and get complimented on how fast we get them done, how nice and friendly we are and carry the team but as soon as we mention joining our fleet, they ask how many people in the fleet and then you get no response if you're a small fleet.

Here's the thing. No-one wants to join a small fleet or join one that is T3 or lower as they will have to put effort into getting the goodies. When we look at the mammoth task it has been to get our SB to T3 and realise that it will take at least 5 times (more like 7 times) longer to get to T5 you realise it just isn't worth it as we're not having fun anymore and in the 2-3 years it will take JUST to get the starbase to T5 there is an embassy and who knows what else will come out.
Closed Thread