Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
02-14-2013, 08:02 PM
I have never liked how the other races have just been lumped into the Klingon Empire with no cultural identity of their own. I think to have done this right each race should start out on their own planet with missions that bring them into working with the KDF.

Also being a retired Navy guy the fact that all these other races being allowed to fly around in Klingon ships is very hard to swallow. The other races in the KDF should be in their own ships since they are an allied force and not a single entity such as StarFleet. I can understand giving your allies outdated ships but there's no way a government would hand over their top of the line vessels. The U.S. gives its allies equipment, weapons, ships, planes, etc. but if you notice its all outdated stuff.

As someone posted above the other races were thrown in as bad guys to make a two dimensional blackhat faction, sort of what the Klingons were like in the TOS series.Cryptic has done nothing to develope these races and fill in the giant gaps on the things we don't know about them. And we don't have much to go on from the various TV sereis.

Gorn - The only Gorn we ever saw was that one episode in TOS and I think another series had a hologram, that's it.

Letheans - I never saw the episode where we got a glimpse of one but that's what we have is a glimpse and nothing else.

Nausicaans - Picard got stabbed by one in an epsiode, we know theyre pirates and very little else, oh and they carry sharp knives.

Orions - Had warp drive capabilities before most other races in the alpha quandrant. Their food tastes bad. They pirate, smuggle, and take slaves. Raided the vulcan homeword centuries ago before the Vulcan's had space capabilities Are a criminal organization that runs a black market. The women are actually in charge because they have these OP phermones but they pretend to be the slaves.This last part is just plain stupid and unnecessary. There's no need to pretend to be a slave if you look hot, all you need to do is present yourself to whatever male you wish to seduce especially if you have mind controlling phermones. I think what the folks on that ENT episode ran into were gals who were part of an Orion eugenics experiment because if all the Orion women had phermones like that then they would've already been ruling every quandrant in the galaxy. I've seen guys seduced/manipulated/controlled by real life hot women who were neither green nor had phermones.

It's sad that Cryptic had the opportunity to develope these races beyond their two dimensional stigma and failed to do so. I believe if it would've been developed and done right then the KDF with it's diversity of starting points for the various races, diversity of race specific ships, costumes, and equipment then it would've quickly overshadowed the blue side because of the variety of choices offered to players.
Commander
# 22
02-14-2013, 08:26 PM
Yup. you guys are nailing it!

So much water under the ST bridge and all we get is...

Cryptic: "Here, now you all play together! Run along. Make it so!"
"Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
Commander
# 23
02-14-2013, 09:03 PM
The other races aren't allies, thier vassal states.

Big diffence. Canada and the USA are allies. Canada said no to nukes on our soil and no to the Iraq war and as a Soveriegn nation we could do that. As such the US won't sell or give us thier best planes.

The USSR and Poland was a Empire/Vassal state relationship, the USSR dicated ultimately most of the foriegn policy and military policy of Poland. Poland ultimately answered to the USSR. As such the USSR had no problem having nukes in Poland or sharing thier best weapons because they ultimately controlled it.

Its the same here. Its why Orions, Nausicaans, Fersans, are all trained at Klingon Academy by the KDF.

I'm okay with some assimulation, but I don't buy it going to this extreme.

Btw you got alot of your info on the Orions off the animated series?

And the Gorn also appeared in an episode of Enterpise.

Nausicaans appeared briefly I think on DS9 as well.

And Leathans were apart of several episodes of DS9 including a front row seat on what the Leathans Rapture attack did on Doctor Bashir's mind. Nasty.
Commander
# 24
02-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordgyor View Post

Big diffence. Canada and the USA are allies. Canada said no to nukes on our soil and no to the Iraq war and as a Soveriegn nation we could do that. As such the US won't sell or give us thier best planes.

The USSR and Poland was a Empire/Vassal state relationship, the USSR dicated ultimately most of the foriegn policy and military policy of Poland. Poland ultimately answered to the USSR. As such the USSR had no problem having nukes in Poland or sharing thier best weapons because they ultimately controlled it.

Its the same here. Its why Orions, Nausicaans, Fersans, are all trained at Klingon Academy by the KDF.
*cough*

The F-35 fighter program mean anything? Only certain electronics are omitted from the sale due to American laws.

Some could argue the relationship between the US and Canada since Mulroney's time. Harper, with his penchant for American laws and ways, does seem more in bed than previous prime ministers, imo.

Canada said no to Iraq but went off to Afghanistan pretty fast and for why? To aid and assist American operations and nothing to do with protecting Canadian Sovereignty. Why do most of the Canadian infantry have American haircuts (high and tights) and use such a purely American military saying like Hooah?

Seen lots of Canadians cross-training with Americans and even attending American military schools so does that make them now vassals like how you used the KDF as an example?

You started strong but the post ended... well, almost contradictory but am sure you will explain it better now.

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.

Last edited by user839020189287; 02-14-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-15-2013, 04:08 AM
The Orions are allies, I believe it states this in the Path to 2409. Regardless if theyre vassals it makes it even worse since no one in their right mind would give vassals the potential to uprise by giving them the latest cloaking ship.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-15-2013, 04:10 AM
Also a nuclear missle silo controlled by Russians is a big difference from handing over fleets of ships.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-15-2013, 04:15 AM
Yep we're handing over the F-35's like its Christmas. I can guarantee you they already have something better than an F-35, They'll keep it under Uncle Sam's hat until they develope something even better.
Survivor of Romulus
# 28
02-15-2013, 04:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumstar View Post
Also being a retired Navy guy the fact that all these other races being allowed to fly around in Klingon ships is very hard to swallow. The other races in the KDF should be in their own ships since they are an allied force and not a single entity such as StarFleet. I can understand giving your allies outdated ships but there's no way a government would hand over their top of the line vessels. The U.S. gives its allies equipment, weapons, ships, planes, etc. but if you notice its all outdated stuff.
I can see your angle, but I guess you as well realize that anything happening in alliances and international relations today is very far-off and not even remotely similar to a future universe alliances between very different alien species in very different circumistances.

Although I would actually like it better the way you suggested it (ex. Orions comandeer Orion ships) , this is an MMO after all and I suspect that if Cryptic puts that kind of restriction without develloping whole sets of ships for each race as well as separate starting homeworlds and such, the amounts of whining would exceede anything known before.
It would be GLORIOUS!

And for this to happen at the curent rate of development of the KDF, I guess we'll be in the 25th century by the time all of this is implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordgyor View Post
Uhm....incorrect actually.
The only vassal state race in the KDF are the Gorn. Presubamly the Ferasan as well, but we have no evidence or lore information of how they came to be in the Klingon Empire, so I suspect it was through conquest, although it remains unknown.

The Trill I woulnd't comment as I suspect that they were - "give it to KDF so they don't whine that Feds. got yet another thing over them" kinda' thing.

The Nausicaans are not a vassal state, they signed a non-agression pact with the Empire after the Klingon - Gorn war. They have all the civilian rights in the Empire as any Klingon.

The Letheans are not a vassal state. They themselves approached the KDF wanting to ally themselves with the Empire and serve it for the purpose of their own interest. Their motivation is unknown, so Klingons still remain weary of them.

And the Orions are as far from a vassal state as it could be. The Orion Syndicate is actually allied with the Klingon Empire, they were never conquered or defeated by the KDF. When the Orions decided to abandon their homeworld they offered alliance to the Breen and the Klingons. They are arguably the first warp-capable species in the Alpha-quadrant with vast amounts of acumulated knowledge, mysterious technologies and such. They offered this in exchange for a new homeworld. Klingons met their demands, gave them Ter'jas Mor and they signed an alliance. Without the support of their Orion alies, it's questionable wheather the KDF would win the war against the Gorn-Nausicaan aliance.

Oh, and on a lighter note, many STO players suspect that Melanie D'ian is actually the mastermind running the KDF.
Show your support for the Revamped Galaxy Class Exploration Cruiser here!

Last edited by shpoks; 02-15-2013 at 04:35 AM.
Commander
# 29
02-15-2013, 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumstar View Post
Yep we're handing over the F-35's like its Christmas. I can guarantee you they already have something better than an F-35, They'll keep it under Uncle Sam's hat until they develope something even better.
Not even the US Air Force wants the F-35. Funny enough Canada is still committed to the project where many other nations are now dropping out. LOL

Things are always under development. Better, stronger, faster. Nature of the game.

Commander
# 30
02-15-2013, 07:22 AM
Not as committed as it was, I believe its being reviewed because of spiralling costs.

And we'd have dumped that piece of junk if we had someone other then a fool and mad man for a Prime Minister. Sadly we don't, but I have high hopes for Thomas Mulcair replacing him in 2015.

And the Orions I believe became a vassal state in exchange for Ter'jas Mor.

The Nausicaans are less certain, and the Leatheans are applicants for vassal state status, and the Klingnons want the Ferasans to join. I'm curious as to why the Ferasans are so important to the Klingons.