Career Officer
# 201
02-14-2013, 08:27 PM
You know there are a few ways you can look at scaling without people exploiting the Starbase Advancement, if you put a little thought into it you could do it in a way that wouldn't have to have a lot of rules. I had said in another thread:

Quote:
They could have thresholds put in place so when your fleet reaches a certain size, the requirements get increased:

25 > 50 > 100 > 200 > 300 > 400 > 500

Whether they could base this on individual accounts or just characters I don't know. Let's just stick with the idea this is based on characters. Now the problem people bring up is that leaders will airlock members to reduce the requirements so they can breeze through their projects. One idea that might work or something similar would be:

Say I have a fleet with 100 members and it goes below the 100 mark. A project would become available to downsize my fleet which would take 1-2 weeks to complete for all the project requirements to be reduced or just have it take 1-2 weeks for the requirements to change and have a timer which displays that without having to complete a project. This way if fleets are really desperate to airlock members to take advantage, they'll have to wait 1-2 weeks for it to change.

They could scale the requirements so all fleets roughly take the same amount of time and not have it stupidly easy either. I don't think a smaller fleet should be punished because they don't want to have 200+ members.
Also many of my fleet members all teamed up to do the Foundry for fleet marks. You could have made it a requirement that a full team of fleet members grants you the fleet mark reward.

So yeah, don't remove something unless you replace it straight away with something of equal value. Then like someone else said, going and changing your story saying this was temporary having the fleet marks on foundry when no such thing was ever said, is just ridiculous, especially coming from a company like you. There is plenty of potential with this game, you've done some great work, so please stop messing around with things that either don't need to be messed with or at least replace it with something of equivalent value straight away if that's what you intend to do. I doubt many want to wait months for that.

"We're doing it wrong, but it's working...."
Ensign
# 202
02-14-2013, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bwild1 View Post
Not often I will step up to defend Dan - but what you said is simply not true.

They always stated that there design was based around a 25 person fleet. They also stated that the fastest even the super fleet could reach T5 would be around 7 months.

So If they were saying the super mega huge fleet would take a minium of 7 months - then what did the small fleets think?

And in fact there will not be ANY fleet in the game fully complete T5 for at least another 3 months - or 10 months total!

10 months for a fleet with 300+ active members

So with less than 25 it should take several years.
No, they said it would be proportionate to the amount of people you had, not that they would intentionally design to be harder on smaller fleets - which what he's now claiming. Had they been up front that they were going to skew it in favor of these large fleets then more people would've been vocal about changing that before it became set in stone.

I also find it funny that some are trying to say that small fleets shouldn't exist, or if they do they shouldn't get a starbase. Ok. I guess families smaller than two and a half people (the current US average) shouldn't get a home. Extreme example, I know, but the comparison stands. You can't disallow a feature simply because a fleet doesn't meet some arbitrary number.
Captain Jason A. Kendall
U.S.S. Indianapolis NCC-94668
90th Special Operations Task Force
Ensign
# 203
02-14-2013, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1 View Post
Thank you for treating us like crap that you'd scrape off your shoe.
if dev's/admin's feet ever touched real dirt...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The young generation has no clue what freedom is. Because they do not know the limit of it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disenchanted for all my Characters
Survivor of Romulus
# 204
02-14-2013, 08:32 PM
It's my belief that they are trying to kill the game so they can focus on Never Winter, and if thats the case I say they are doing a great job.
Captain
# 205
02-14-2013, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurutafan01 View Post
Just for the record, I do believe Cryptic has stated officially that if you add things up, 7 months is considered the "hard cap" for fastest possible time to reach Tier V starbase. As far as I know it has never been suggested as any kind of average, or realistically attainable goal.

I believe anyone suggesting otherwise is mistaken.
The mega fleet that I belong just finshed T5 eng fab - It will take 4 more months for the rest.

11 months with 400+ active members sending projects off around the clock.

5 person fleet should take 3 years at least.
Ensign
# 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlocutusofborgx View Post
wow first time in awile that iam not actually logging in because I dont like being forced to a set direction by a game developer... wonder if anyone else is doing the same.. i wonder...
Yep, me.
Captain
# 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustiswordz View Post
This is my observation and I'm pretty sure I will be nuked from high orbit here.

All Cryptic did was seal up an exploit we all knew was a licence to print dilly and marks that should not have been there. People on here are moaning about the removal of something that shouldn't have been there in the first place.
Ironically I only found out about the IOR exploit today myself so i did spend the last few hours using it before they shut the tap off. So I'm not innocent myself. I never use the foundry and no one mentioned the exploit until it was due to be removed.

I understand people want to get their fleets up and running and the IOR dill and marks go a long way to help. However do people really want to spend hours everyday just doing the IOR misson, then doing the same with the next toon, and the next and the next. Dont know about you but that bore me stupid. You call doing stfs and dailies missons 'grind!' Doing the IOR 20 times a day across multiple toons drive me totally bonkers with grind. I'd have a heck of a lot of dill but my brain would have melted a long time before. A whole game to explore and people prefer to just sit there rince repeating one misson.

However I'm a casual gamer. Yes I play the game a lot but I go looking for missons, noy clicky one thing.

But thats just me as they say.

Its not sealing up the exploit that has cranked people up, its the grind-fest that has been required for people progress their non mega-sized starbases forward.
Lieutenant
# 208
02-14-2013, 08:34 PM
you know what gents at cryptic, im gonna make this short and sweet. its your game and you can justify why you kick us in the teeth all you want it comes down to this. you want to bone us for every second we play this game. you want to bleed us as bad as possible. you might as well take the foundry out of the game, cause as long as its in there people are going to make farming missions. what did you expect. a 5 year old with kindergarden economics could have figured that out. fine take out the only way we can keep up with the rediculous costs you place on us for building our reputations, and bases, and embasy. i mean seriously im glad i dont work for you, cause i would be helping the players find these exploits just to help them keep their heads above water.

the game used to be fun, now its a job. i feel like im playing eve.
Captain
# 209
02-14-2013, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlocutusofborgx View Post

Not everyone did the one clickys, some of us enjoyed doing missions each day as a fleet, allowing us oppertunities to expand our gameplay in a sense so it wasnt the same thing every darn time...
Then get and organise more fleet missons whats stopping you. As for people quitting because an exploit has been closed. Cutting nose off to spite face springs to mind.

IOR, next toon, IOR, next toon, IOR, next toon.... repeat XXX times every 30 mins.

All that dill to buy all those things and they still stand in one place... IOR, IOR, IOR...
Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo...
Captain
# 210
02-14-2013, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by assimilatethis02 View Post
No, they said it would be proportionate to the amount of people you had, not that they would intentionally design to be harder on smaller fleets - which what he's now claiming. Had they been up front that they were going to skew it in favor of these large fleets then more people would've been vocal about changing that before it became set in stone.

I also find it funny that some are trying to say that small fleets shouldn't exist, or if they do they shouldn't get a starbase. Ok. I guess families smaller than two and a half people (the current US average) shouldn't get a home. Extreme example, I know, but the comparison stands. You can't disallow a feature simply because a fleet doesn't meet some arbitrary number.
Provide some proof of your claims - I have watched this thing closely since before they launched - never - ever did they say in anything written down that it would be "proportionate" to the size of the fleet.
Closed Thread