Ensign
# 1 Swearing in Trek
02-14-2013, 07:56 PM
This is probably going to sound like a strange question but hiw far should one go when having a character swear?

I ask this because I write a short story series based off of my STO crew and often I have my captain swear. I'm just never sure which words are fitting for this canon. I've had characters drop "damn" and "hell" but I'm not sure how much farther to take it.

Thought I would ask and see what kind of concensus I could get.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
02-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Also quite acceptable is ... "Double dumb-ass on you"
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Captain
# 3
02-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Data dropped an S-grenade during one of the films, but that's the worst i can recall. Beyond that you could say what ever you want in klingon or romulan or such since most people wouldn't bother translating it.
Ensign
# 4
02-14-2013, 08:48 PM
Thanks, though Unfortunately, the majority if the main cast are not any if those, but I will certainly keep that in mind as I do have a Romulan "villain" in the works (not so much as the bad guy but they are the source of conflict).
Empire Veteran
# 5
02-14-2013, 08:53 PM
... petaQ!
Captain
# 6
02-14-2013, 09:59 PM
Yeah, the S word in generations is about the worst it got. Personally, a fun writing challenge is to see how you can get around swearing.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 7
02-14-2013, 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Yeah, the S word in generations is about the worst it got. Personally, a fun writing challenge is to see how you can get around swearing.
You forget Miles O'Brien in the DS9 Ep Time's Orphan, he used a certain 8 letter B word that is unrepeatable here
__________________________________________________ __
For those of you who have complimented me on my Avatar, I'm wondering what you're talking about. I don't have one.

SILENCE WILL FALL....................Why the hell did I just say that
Career Officer
# 8
02-14-2013, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Yeah, the S word in generations is about the worst it got.
Heard worse in the ST bloopers on YouTube. =3
Join Date : September 2010. Boldly going forward because Cryptic forgot reverse.
I am currently unsupervised, anyone who knows me will tell you that this will most likely lead to trouble. =3
Cryptic, I'll take your fancy T6 Ships and blow them out of the star's with my mighty T5 Vor'Cha!
Captain
# 9
02-14-2013, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthyme467989 View Post
You forget Miles O'Brien in the DS9 Ep Time's Orphan, he used a certain 8 letter B word that is unrepeatable here
The one that means testicles? Doesn't surprise me, it seems to have been in regular use in quite a few pre-watershed shows from the mid-to-late 90s. Spike saying it quite a bit in Buffy comes to mind.

OP, as far as I'm concerned, use any language you like. Maybe stick a parental advisory warning or something in the top of the description if it really bothers you.
Ensign
# 10
02-15-2013, 12:06 AM
I do try and keep the stories to about a PG-13 or so, which means I can be fairly liberal with words. The one O'Brien says might be something the captain in the stories tosses out every so often: he has a fascination with pirates (think more Jolly Roger than Somalian). My main concern is more keeping it in the verbal canon of the series. There have been times the F bomb has, to me, seemed appropriate but it's not a word heard tossed around (aside from the bloopers).