Lt. Commander
# 1 How many people play STO?
02-15-2013, 01:21 AM
Hello fellow Captains!!!

I'm creating this thread out of a desire to actually understand the "true" number of players that enjoy STO.

We have heard a few things from the DEVS about "total number of captains" and that this game is "larger" than CHAMPS, but I feel that some real info is still lacking.

Obviously in a "F2P" game the number of accounts is rather irrelevant.

Something along the lines of max concurrent players or total payed subscriptions (excluding LTS that haven't logged in for the last 30 days) would be more relevant.

Tonight I saw 4 instances of Qonos or so for about ~300 players and I saw ESD at about 10x that or about 3000.

I looked in the PVE Q and other such lists and saw in a generous manner about 500. Throw in DS9, space dock and other places I think maybe a couple more thousand.

Evening in the USA I think concurrent users are ~10k as a very generous number. Anyone else have an opinion? Thanks.
Ensign
# 2
02-15-2013, 01:23 AM
Why ask for an opinion over a fact that nobody knows?
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
02-15-2013, 01:25 AM
5, there are 5 players. we are all just constructs in an mmo called "earth" and there are ony 5 sentient beings out side of it.
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Commander
# 4
02-15-2013, 01:27 AM
You will be lucky to get a quoted figure and highly doubt DStahl will go on the record to clarify.

Damage control is in effect since the Feb 14 th patch.

He cited "2 million starship captains" in an interview but never made the distinction of whether it was accounts or characters. The time to be specific was, then, during the interview and since he was vague, do not expect an answer, imo.

Opinion is wholly based upon past and present performance by Mr. Stahl and his being not-so forthright on matters such as these.

Soon-trademark, no doubt.
"Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-15-2013, 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by user839020189287 View Post
You will be lucky to get a quoted figure and highly doubt DStahl will go on the record to clarify.

Damage control is in effect since the Feb 14 th patch.

He cited "2 million starship captains" in an interview but never made the distinction of whether it was accounts or characters. The time to be specific was, then, during the interview and since he was vague, do not expect an answer, imo.

Opinion is wholly based upon past and present performance by Mr. Stahl and his being not-so forthright on matters such as these.

Soon-trademark, no doubt.
I think he did clarify that it was accounts and not captains to be fair.

Still totally irrelevant since anyone can create an account... and prolly not lost on him but still to be fair I think he did say that.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
02-15-2013, 01:33 AM
It's also clear from that infographic that tribbles play the most STO.

I for one welcome out new tribble overlords.
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Captain
# 7
02-15-2013, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardtheiii View Post
Evening in the USA I think concurrent users are ~10k as a very generous number. Anyone else have an opinion? Thanks.
No idea how many active players there are, but it'd be nice if the launcher had an "x amount of players online now" box like EvE has. It still won't tell us exactly how many players it has in total, but you can see how busy the game is at certain times and take rough estimates from that by taking the counts from various timezones' peak hours.
Career Officer
# 8
02-15-2013, 01:34 AM
well I for one will say I love the game, they are making new sectors and new missions, content etc. I started playing this game and i originally was paying for membership in 6 month blocks I think at the time, but I decided to buy a life time membership mainly because I want star trek online to be around for a long time. I have never paid for membership on any of the other world wide online games before, but since I love star trek and this game to me is gr8 I will try always to support it. I often buy ZEN etc to try to show my support for the game and so far I think it is working since they now opened up the romulan sector, and even got the actor for TASHA yar to do a voice for a mission they just added.

Anyway yeah startrek rules
Commander
# 9
02-15-2013, 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardtheiii View Post
I think he did clarify that it was accounts and not captains to be fair.
Source?

Until I see it written...
"Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
Career Officer
# 10
02-15-2013, 02:09 AM
It does not really matter, if the game didn't have enough players.. and that's players that spend money then the game would not be here........... but it is still here so it has lots of players that spend money via subs/C-store so I don't see a need to know how many active accounts the game has.