Lt. Commander
# 181 pets
10-03-2009, 10:31 AM
This is not the correct forum for this particular question but it has been on my mind for a while. Star Trek is littered with colorful characters and their pets. Anyone remember that lap dog with horns glued to its head that turned evil in a transportation accident in the original? Will there be any pets available? Cosmetic or otherwise? I could see Spot giving Data some kind of boost or a enrage effect..... Or possibly a Klingon dog for a bridge crew member.
Lt. Commander
# 182
10-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Will there be missions that will take place on players ship? As I remember in TV series many interesting incidents took place on board due to unexpected encounter in space.
I'm also curious if players will be able to have personal achievements (a kind of titles)? For example captain Picard passion was history and archeology. Also he had a collection of his findings.
Can players research or obtain technology or rare materials that can be used on ship to improve its capabilities or for trade?
Lt. Commander
# 183
10-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantpizza View Post
One Question: How diffrent are the skill trees (Security, etc.)? Are they as distinct as, say, WoW's classes, or just give diffrent bonus powers? Will any one department have a disadvantage that can only be covered by other players?
form what it sounds like there might be some diferences between the factions but basically it boils down like this.

engineer A starts with E lvl 5, T lvl 1, S lvl 1, with like lt cruiser lvl 2 and energy weapons and torpedos and the equip for light cruisers at lvl 1.

science officer B starts with all of that excetp E lvl 1, T lvl 1, S lvl 5

and as you progress you can put points into the basics of light cruisers (or other skills) or you could like learn up your tactial and when your a LT commander you could try to fly an escourt.

something like this system is what I am guessing.
Lt. Commander
# 184
10-03-2009, 05:59 PM
There will be five ranks through which to progress at launch:

Lieutenant
Lieutenant Commander
Commander
Captain
Admiral

ok so what about ensign and rear admiral and commodore and fleet admiral etc. etc.
Lt. Commander
# 185
10-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Sisko View Post
There will be five ranks through which to progress at launch:

Lieutenant
Lieutenant Commander
Commander
Captain
Admiral

ok so what about ensign and rear admiral and commodore and fleet admiral etc. etc.
Ensigns and Lt. JG's aren't given ships to command. Bad enough there is an 'Admiral' rank for starship command, more less higher..
Lt. Commander
# 186
10-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Just from an aesthetic viewpoint, I hope they reconsider using "Admiral" as a player rank, at least initially. It has too much baggage with it (connotations of multi-ship command, sector command, etc).

Would much prefer that they use something like

Lieutenant
Lieutenant Commander
Commander
Captain
Fleet Captain (as in FC Garth or Pike)
Vice-Commodore (no examples, just a way to extend the structure)
Commodore (as in Mendez, Decker, or any number of others)

Such a rank structure would avoid the Admiral rank-cap trap, and allow for subsequent game modifications. Regardless of how the system works, a large number of players will race to achieve whatever the highest rank is, and then agitate for "more content", even if they have skipped 90% of the content in their "race to the top".
Lt. Commander
# 187
10-04-2009, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziefudd
Just from an aesthetic viewpoint, I hope they reconsider using "Admiral" as a player rank, at least initially. It has too much baggage with it (connotations of multi-ship command, sector command, etc).

Would much prefer that they use something like

Lieutenant
Lieutenant Commander
Commander
Captain
Fleet Captain (as in FC Garth or Pike)
Vice-Commodore (no examples, just a way to extend the structure)
Commodore (as in Mendez, Decker, or any number of others)

Such a rank structure would avoid the Admiral rank-cap trap, and allow for subsequent game modifications. Regardless of how the system works, a large number of players will race to achieve whatever the highest rank is, and then agitate for "more content", even if they have skipped 90% of the content in their "race to the top".
I have no problem with an admiral rank, but I think that it needs alot of prereqs, for starters they should be wel rounded. so alot of at least almost maxed out skills. an insanely high reputational rankings, with pvp experience and have explored so much. kinda like an uber bonus. but i would think that some in between lvls would be good to give it some spacing.
Lt. Commander
# 188
10-04-2009, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairutk View Post
I have no problem with an admiral rank, but I think that it needs alot of prereqs, for starters they should be wel rounded. so alot of at least almost maxed out skills. an insanely high reputational rankings, with pvp experience and have explored so much. kinda like an uber bonus. but i would think that some in between lvls would be good to give it some spacing.
I don't think anything shold 'require' and force a player to do PvP of any kind. It has nothing to do with it. Now combat experience against NPC's is another thing.
Lt. Commander
Maybe as a prerequisite for Admiral, you have to be a Captain for a literal year?
Lt. Commander
# 190
10-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Starblazer View Post
I don't think anything shold 'require' and force a player to do PvP of any kind. It has nothing to do with it. Now combat experience against NPC's is another thing.

ok well maybee not but the need to be extreamly diverse. as Crypitc has stated arround the start of endgame you will be about halfway through your skill tree. so at least a good while after you finish endgame you should get a rank of admiral.