Ensign
# 1 Help a Noob - Placing Objects
02-15-2013, 06:43 PM
Alright, noob here with some questions. I've sat down and went through most of the tutorials out there (Kirkfat, bless your heart), but one thing I've never seen addressed is placing objects.

I feel like there's gotta be something really obvious I'm missing, but I find it so difficult to place objects on a map. Basically, due to the nature of the map, it's next to impossible to tell exactly where you're placing something and what height it needs to be placed.

To give an example, let's say I want to put a banner on the outside of a building on an outside map. I have no idea where to line it up because it's next to impossible to tell where the borders are on the building or what to use for the y-value. Same thing with say putting a bottle on top of a bar. I have no clue what to use for the y-value. So what I end up having to do is guess a value, run the tester, see where it ends up, adjust the y-value and position of the object, and keep repeating until I get it right. It's just really tedious and given my noobness, I wanted to make sure there's nothing I'm missing to make it easier.

Share the knowledge, how do you guys place this stuff! Is there an alternate view option I'm missing? Something else? Or is trial and error the only way?
Rihannsu
# 2
02-15-2013, 07:17 PM
there is a lot of trial and error involved. but you can minimize it in a few ways. Use relative to Zero altitude coords. The results of doing it that way are a lot more predictable. with this once you figure out the right height for one item you can simply add more items at the same height and have it always come out ~ the same.

Also, it you're really not sure where something is being placed, you can make it part of an interact with object objective(temporarily). this lets you press V and locate it while in preview. that helps a good bit in situations where you aren't sure what direction it needs to be moved.

As for determining distances... My foundry char is ~2 meters tall so I can use her height as a sort of measuring stick sometimes.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 3
02-15-2013, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimates View Post
Alright, noob here with some questions. I've sat down and went through most of the tutorials out there (Kirkfat, bless your heart), but one thing I've never seen addressed is placing objects.

I feel like there's gotta be something really obvious I'm missing, but I find it so difficult to place objects on a map. Basically, due to the nature of the map, it's next to impossible to tell exactly where you're placing something and what height it needs to be placed.

To give an example, let's say I want to put a banner on the outside of a building on an outside map. I have no idea where to line it up because it's next to impossible to tell where the borders are on the building or what to use for the y-value. Same thing with say putting a bottle on top of a bar. I have no clue what to use for the y-value. So what I end up having to do is guess a value, run the tester, see where it ends up, adjust the y-value and position of the object, and keep repeating until I get it right. It's just really tedious and given my noobness, I wanted to make sure there's nothing I'm missing to make it easier.

Share the knowledge, how do you guys place this stuff! Is there an alternate view option I'm missing? Something else? Or is trial and error the only way?
Sometimes doing the math for the /loc command helps. That's in a tutorial.

Otherwise, for a banner on a building, I typically spend about 8-15 times tweaking the values before it's in the right place. It's not rare that I move it slightly, go and and look at it, go back out tweak, .... 25 times.

It gets easier over time. You develop an intuition for how high 4 Y is.

Manually adjusting the X, Y, and Z values is how I do that. Also turn off snap to grid and snap to angle.
Rihannsu
# 4
02-15-2013, 09:47 PM
yeah, forgot that. /loc reports values in feet. you need to convert to meters for the data to be useful. Multiy the value /loc spits out by .3048 to convert it from feet to meters. that should give you almost the exact location you want.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 5
02-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
yeah, forgot that. /loc reports values in feet. you need to convert to meters for the data to be useful. Multiy the value /loc spits out by .3048 to convert it from feet to meters. that should give you almost the exact location you want.
So basically, OP, you have to load into the map and have your toon stand at the X and Z location that you want the banner, and then do the math, and experiment with the Y value until it's at the right height.

Your frustration with this aspect of the Foundry is justified. It takes a lot of tweaking to build a 3d environment from a 2D map with blurry icons.