Captain
# 41
02-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
Well we can thank the Moon that we don't get hit a lot more.
And Jupiter as well. Without its gravity, we probably would've been wiped out by an asteroid by now.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Lieutenant
# 42
02-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
And Jupiter as well. Without its gravity, we probably would've been wiped out by an asteroid by now.
Our gas giants have protected us from asteroid and comet hits for the most part. The Earth is a very small pin tip of a dot to actually hit, in space terms.
The only thing I do not see in very many places, but have read on the NASA site, I believe, as well as other astronomy pages, is that we are entering a much dustier and "dirty" part of the galaxy now. I think we will be seeing more things come through. I do not think it was an accident that they decided to start really looking for near earth objects flying through. Could be wrong on that, something worth looking more into though. Interesting anyway.
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

"Maybe space is not the final frontier," - Luke Minhere
Career Officer
# 43
02-15-2013, 04:14 PM
So, now we know where ground zero to the zombie apocalypse is. FOLKS, It's time to stock up on shotgun shells and canned soup. I've seen enough living dead movies to know what I'm talking about.
That redshirt, Totally got vaped!!!
Captain
# 44
02-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjhunter View Post
So, now we know where ground zero to the zombie apocalypse is. FOLKS, It's time to stock up on shotgun shells and canned soup. I've seen enough living dead movies to know what I'm talking about.
Imotep...Imotep...*slowly backs away*
All cloaks should be canon.
Captain
# 45
02-15-2013, 07:05 PM
What kind of scares me about all this is that nobody seemed to know it was coming. We got lucky this time, but the next rock might hit the actual ground. And if it does, fatalities are inevitable.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Captain
# 46
02-15-2013, 10:18 PM
Its only a matter of time and uninhabited real-estate is becoming rarer. As for no one seeing this one coming, well it is a big damn sky, but you also have to wonder whether they would withhold reporting it in hopes of preventing a panic.
That said so long as they don't contain life consuming blobs, giant irradiated spiders or 3 legged martians with friggin lasers on their heads, I'm good.

Last edited by maxvitor; 02-15-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Career Officer
# 47
02-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Here's a pretty recent update from CNN (with more video)

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/15/world/...-meteor-shower
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Captain
# 48
02-15-2013, 10:24 PM
Why is it always Russia, do they have a bloody meteor magnet running over there?
Republic Veteran
# 49
02-16-2013, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
Why is it always Russia, do they have a bloody meteor magnet running over there?
Maybe Cobra got sick of Weather Dominators, and now funding a Verteron array

Starfleet Veteran
# 50
02-16-2013, 09:06 AM
Asia is a larger land mass to hit so seems to be hit more.

It is also more sparsly populated so less damage.

Strikes over the ocean are seldom witnessed.

Thank Obama for retiring the only jet aircraft capable of launching an interceptor at an ICBM or by implication, an incomming Impactor.

NASA needs to unmothball those F-15s and set them up to scramble.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.