Lieutenant
# 131
02-14-2013, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurutafan01 View Post
Until the Foundry has proper, actual, "remember when this was new 20 years ago" dialogue trees that let you build missions to multiple outcomes so that literally 100% of the text isn't superfluous "if you really want to, just jam F and you'll still win the mission", who cares?

The actual combat portions of many of the Foundry missions are fine, but the way their system gimps writers from having anything to actually do is really annoying.
^^^^^This^^^^^^^^
My Foundry Missions:
The Wave Empire Series: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=279751
Captain
# 132
02-14-2013, 09:26 PM
You know, I will say this as a foundry author in support of the Bran and how he's run the spotlights and made the choices; I won't say he's infallible.

There have been a mission or two I've played on the list that, while okay and good, weren't as great as some missions I've played or found out of luck in the depths of the lists. I know he is limited in his choices by those authors who are willing to drop all editing rights to their missions and live with the results; but he can ask and go through the methods worked before to have them press the button if the idea didn't occur to him.

I agree with who said it that there have been some ones with crappy maps or that needed a bit more than one layer of polish. So, there are spotlight missions I don't think are all that great. But seeing the ratings of other players I tend to be vindicated in my views. Still, there is a list of great missions run in the mission forum subsections that I think he should crosscheck with here or there. That way he can find reviews or get a bit more of a player enjoyment aided shot.
Captain
# 133
02-15-2013, 08:36 AM
I was playing my guitar and got to thinking as a foundry author what are the rewards for your time invested? I play with the foundry when i just really don't want to have to think to much and want to veg. ut compare that to playing an instrument in your leisure time where you are building on a skill that lasts a lifetime. What are the returns for poring hours into foundry projects? First MMO's are not forever they get shut down eventually second the menu system almost guarantees you will be way down on the list and will only get tens of plays.

Once again Cryptic decided to nerf the rewards. The result a different kind of grinder will be at the top of the list and people will still feel animosity towards foundry authors especially since some have struck out against the grinders. I don't think anything that has happened here has been good for the player base as a whole and more spotlights (like my staff picks idea) and a better menu system are what is really what is needed. I fully expect "exploit"
missions to continue being the top played missions and for animosity to continue in the foundry until Cryptic decides to change the way they deal with the problems.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Survivor of Romulus
# 134
02-15-2013, 08:42 AM
I'm entertained by the act of writing and building the missions. And I enjoy seeing people play them and (hopefully) be entertained by them. That's all the reward I need.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forums are like Sanctuary Districts, complete with Gimmes, Ghosts and Dims.
Empire Veteran
# 135
02-15-2013, 10:17 AM
So i've decided to play some of the spotlighted missions recently, out of curiosity, and while some of them are impressive, some others are just meh, with a good idea but a poor use of the game mechanics and maps with very little work. Maybe it's just not good enough to my taste but maps are critical for immersion, and some spotlighted authors focused too much on dialogs and not enough on maps.

That's a minority but it's annoying. Because a mission isn't just about a story.
Captain
# 136
02-15-2013, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
So i've decided to play some of the spotlighted missions recently, out of curiosity, and while some of them are impressive, some others are just meh, with a good idea but a poor use of the game mechanics and maps with very little work. Maybe it's just not good enough to my taste but maps are critical for immersion, and some spotlighted authors focused too much on dialogs and not enough on maps.

That's a minority but it's annoying. Because a mission isn't just about a story.
Yup i totally agree as the addage says the medium is the message Games are a format of entertainment just like film or tv is. If it isnt fun to play or for a game in this day in age if it isnt immersive is it really a video game?
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Lt. Commander
# 137
02-16-2013, 09:30 AM
It is good to be back after my little hiatus which game me a little time to think about what I was going to say when I got back.

I have thought long and hard about the problems with the Spotlight System and Cryptic pretty much confirmed my suspicions when they removed the Fleet Marks from the IOR daily and game the most amount of dilithium to "Spotlight Missions Only..."

So what is the point of the rest of us making missions? Because at the moment, I am not sure if the Foundry is nothing more then a promotion tool for future Cryptic mission developers? How can such a hopelessly biased system work?

I say biased because "ONE" person decides what is good and what is not. I ask this not to be rude but to ask the question? "What makes Branflakes the authority on Star Trek?" Branflakes, if you are reading this, that is NOT meant as an insult?

I understand that you are a game developer and what-not but the spotlight system has been badly designed from the word go. The biased of the system is pretty obvious and no offense but I am pretty sure I could easily beat any mod at Star Trek Trivia and so could a lot of others here.

You need to give the "Spotlight" power, if there actually needs to be one. (Although the Foundry did fine without it) over to the community who actually love and understand Star Trek enough to judge missions. Now considering that you removed the Fleet Marks which means less people who just want to game and grind and care not for story will be gone, you can now give the power to rate missions solely to the community?
Rihannsu
# 138
02-16-2013, 09:56 AM
Bran is NOT a dev. It's his job to do stuff like this.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lt. Commander
# 139
02-16-2013, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Bran is NOT a dev. It's his job to do stuff like this.
Well no disrespect to him but "What makes him the authority on Star Trek?", does he know more then us hard core fans do? I would be interested to find out. I was a little dismayed to find out that Captain Geko did not know that the Dauntless from Hope and Fear was used again in "Azati Prime" as a canon Federation vessel at the Battle of Proycon V...

Somewhat concerning of our leaders... don't you think?
Starfleet Veteran
# 140
02-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Considering it comes from Voyager I can forgive him not knowing something. Look, not every single person is going to be programmed with the minutia of every single dreadful and not episode ever made in the series or the dreadful and not books that exist as well. I will tell you this, based on what I have been seeing for a while, I dont know that this community represents the ideals of star trek, let alone can be expected to make choices that best influence the overall perceptions of the game.