Career Officer
# 11
02-16-2013, 11:14 AM
There is one more thing you can try, actually.

We did have a little bit of a hacking incident a while back. As in, Cryptic got hacked and someone was just working off a list cleaning our accounts. It's possible you too might've had someone else mucking about in your account, with a particularly strong griefer mentality if he even deleted the characters.

Now you know when you last logged in. So you know when your characters were still there. It's a long shot, cause 11 months is a long time and I don't know exactly how far back they keep backups of the database, but you can ask them to look at a copy of the database from before then, and restore your characters from there, or if that fails, if their records don't go back that far, then from the earliest backup they have.

There's a chance there. While no one deleted any characters when I got hacked (I logged in while they were busy clearing out one of my alts) Cryptic did manage to restore the inventories of the characters that were affected. Took them only a few days. As long as you're clear enough in the initial message (give them the names of all characters you remember, and the date they should be aiming for) it might be worth a shot.

Just don't do it through the site, do it through the game.

Edit: I think any EDC or unredeemed borg tech might be a problem, though. We've converted to an STF reputation system, and everyone's currencies from the old system were converted. I'm not sure if, if they do restore your characters from before that conversion, those can still be converted or whether they're going to left to sit uselessly in your inventory.

And infuriating though it may be to hear the question again, are you really, really Really sure you linked up your old Cryptic account with your PWE one, and not just created a new PWE account with the same @handle? Cause, I'm not sure about this, but I wonder if your forum account really should show February 2013 as your joining date if this account had been linked up earlier. Only accounts created after January 2012 (which wouldn't include you) were automatically PWE accounts, and it wasn't until June 2012 where you can see they really started pushing everyone to do that. Which would be after you tuned out. So... just wondering. Maybe that's just the forum. This whole account merger thing was and still is a confusing mess. (It's possible they don't even understand it.) If you really remember going through the process of merging your original account into a new one, then that's it, you did that. If not, there may be some miscommunication at work here.
Reave

Last edited by hrisvalar; 02-16-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Career Officer
# 12
02-16-2013, 11:58 AM
1. Event is still going on until Monday, so you haven't missed it (yet).

2. I remember when PWE stepped in and you needed to link a PWE account. You could log in as your Cryptic account or as PWE. Eventually though, months later, you HAD to make a PWE account and log in as that (I had always kept logging though Cryptic). It was a PITA, and I couldn't use the same login info I had under Cryptic.

I think you might need to go though that process.

3. I guess it's been a while, and you've forgotten, but character names are not unique in the game. You can have a thousand and one "Kirk"s in the game. We are identified by our @handles in game. SO you can have "kirk@lookylou" or "kirk@foobar". Just because you could use your character name again doesn't mean it's gone.

Don't despair, try again.

Join AIE Today! http://forum.myextralife.com/forum/6...r-trek-online/
Ensign
# 13
02-16-2013, 12:11 PM
Okay, I have an interesting update to report. I got another email about this from support that said my email address was linked to both Cryptic and PW, which it always has been, ever since PW took over the game and I merged the accounts. What they said was, I had to go and link the Cryptic account once again and if it asked me if I had a PW account to reply "No" and the create a new PW account with a different email. So I did this and then re-linked the Cryptic account with the new PW account and logged into the game and my old characters are once again there.

This is very odd that one would have to link the accounts twice.
Ensign
# 14
02-16-2013, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussfury View Post
3. I guess it's been a while, and you've forgotten, but character names are not unique in the game. You can have a thousand and one "Kirk"s in the game. We are identified by our @handles in game. SO you can have "kirk@lookylou" or "kirk@foobar". Just because you could use your character name again doesn't mean it's gone.

Don't despair, try again.
Thanks, I get that part, but I was using the same account so the handles were the same, so it should not have allowed it.

I was making my previous post just as you were, so read it after I posted. I don't know if there is time unless these missions are real easy, but I may be in the game now.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-16-2013, 12:20 PM
So the moral of the story is actually to keep at it and Cryptic/PW are not satan incarnate after all.

Im glad you got your characters back and can enjoy a free Ambassador. Welcome back.
Ensign
# 16
02-16-2013, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starhound View Post
So the moral of the story is actually to keep at it and Cryptic/PW are not satan incarnate after all.

Im glad you got your characters back and can enjoy a free Ambassador. Welcome back.
Unfortunately I have forgotten almost 100% of how to play and don't know if I'll be able to do the event now with such little time.

Funny thing, I had mail in the game from long ago when I had stopped playing due to the fact the PW would not return 2.4m EC I had lost because their shop item had not worked properly and this guy tells me they replaced a player who had lost his items due to his own stupid mistakes to the tune of 700m EC, yet refused to replace my piddly 2.4m when their system was at fault.

Funny how some people get treated quite differently than others.
Rihannsu
# 17
02-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emplehod View Post
Unfortunately I have forgotten almost 100% of how to play and don't know if I'll be able to do the event now with such little time.
The "Temporal Ambassador" event is pretty low-key - I think you'll find that completing it won't be a problem even if you are a little rusty.

Glad to hear you were able to get up and running!
Starfleet Veteran
# 18
02-16-2013, 01:17 PM
Glad everything is worked out!

Last edited by rooster75; 02-16-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Lieutenant
# 19
02-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Glad it worked out, and as a noob, believe me, the event was not anything difficult. I was able to complete it easily. In fact, not sure if I knew I was doing the "event" even.

Anyway, you are more tenacious than I am. If I leave somewhere for 11 months and come back and nothing is where I left it, I would probably have simply thought "well, guess I shouldn't have left for 11 months"...LOL. I am glad you were able to recover everything though. Have fun!
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

"Maybe space is not the final frontier," - Luke Minhere
Career Officer
# 20
02-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emplehod View Post
Thanks, I get that part, but I was using the same account so the handles were the same, so it should not have allowed it.

I was making my previous post just as you were, so read it after I posted. I don't know if there is time unless these missions are real easy, but I may be in the game now.
Yep, that was that PITA thing they had some of us do later on.

Glad to hear you were able to get back in. =)

Join AIE Today! http://forum.myextralife.com/forum/6...r-trek-online/