Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 233
# 151
02-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedarky View Post
Maybe so, but the Foundry Spotlight under Stormshade was just a way of bringing good missions too light. It's only under Brandon that the Spotlight has gained the extra rewards and recognition with a special page in the Foundry menu for them.
Which essentially is wrong because its discriminatory towards authors and creates elitism within the Foundry rather then equality amongst authors.

Plus the standard criteria for what constitutes a "spotlight" mission from a normal mission changes due to Brandon's will...

The Foundry was a much better tool without it...

Last edited by warbird001; 02-16-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 366
# 152
02-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
Which essentially is wrong because its discriminatory towards authors and creates elitism within the Foundry rather then equality amongst authors.
So the Oscars are discriminatory to B-Movie Actors, writers and producers since only the top budgeted movies win Oscars.

The Hugo awards are discriminatory towards Fantasy authors since they're only awarded to Sci-Fi authors.

You've basically just said that because something doesn't fall within the rules of the competition it's being discriminated against. It's been clear from start of the Foundry Spotlight that it is an award for good mission design and story writing.

If you feel that other missions should be promoted above the ones Brandon has chosen make your case, right now though you're lashing out at Brandon and the people supporting Brandon because of something you feel is unfair when in reality it's actually far fairer than some other systems that have tried to use player votes to promote missions to be spotlight like.

CoX's Mission Architect got missions promoted after I believe 1000 votes with an average rating of 4.5+. The moment one got promoted hundreds of angry authors would jump on it and 1 star it until it no longer qualified for the promotion and got knocked back down.

There's also the fact that right now, to some of the Foundry authors who've been Spotlighted, the Spotlighting of their mission is more a curse than a blessing, because they can't update it as new tech is added to the Foundry and have a mission slot locked off which they don't currently get replaced.

But as always, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence for some people.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,293
# 153
02-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedarky View Post
Maybe so, but the Foundry Spotlight under Stormshade was just a way of bringing good missions too light. It's only under Brandon that the Spotlight has gained the extra rewards and recognition with a special page in the Foundry menu for them.
We asked for that as a community.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 233
# 154
02-16-2013, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedarky View Post
So the Oscars are discriminatory to B-Movie Actors, writers and producers since only the top budgeted movies win Oscars.

The Hugo awards are discriminatory towards Fantasy authors since they're only awarded to Sci-Fi authors.

You've basically just said that because something doesn't fall within the rules of the competition it's being discriminated against. It's been clear from start of the Foundry Spotlight that it is an award for good mission design and story writing.

If you feel that other missions should be promoted above the ones Brandon has chosen make your case, right now though you're lashing out at Brandon and the people supporting Brandon because of something you feel is unfair when in reality it's actually far fairer than some other systems that have tried to use player votes to promote missions to be spotlight like.

CoX's Mission Architect got missions promoted after I believe 1000 votes with an average rating of 4.5+. The moment one got promoted hundreds of angry authors would jump on it and 1 star it until it no longer qualified for the promotion and got knocked back down.

There's also the fact that right now, to some of the Foundry authors who've been Spotlighted, the Spotlighting of their mission is more a curse than a blessing, because they can't update it as new tech is added to the Foundry and have a mission slot locked off which they don't currently get replaced.

But as always, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence for some people.
I am not lashing out and this is not the Oscars, despite the fact that the same thing happens and people that don't deserve awards usually get them, the same as people who don't deserve to be famous and rich usually are...

cough Katie Price cough...

That is beside the point, and do not accuse me of bashing Brandon because I do not know the guy personally so I cannot comment. However it is the way the system seems, with several of the "favorite" authors get promoted multiple times while the rest of us fall by the wayside since our contributions to the foundry are not wanted or overlooked.

Promoting one mission over another is not fair, not if exactly equal thought and development time has been put into it. Brandon cannot simply play ALL the missions on the Foundry, that's impossible so the system is not fair and is biased.

Saying I'm attacking Brandon is not negating that fact... it makes it all the more prevalent because you cannot come back with a reasonable defense.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 366
# 155
02-16-2013, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
I am not lashing out and this is not the Oscars, despite the fact that the same thing happens and people that don't deserve awards usually get them, the same as people who don't deserve to be famous and rich usually are...

cough Katie Price cough...
But this is the Foundry Equivilant of the Oscars which is the point I was making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
That is beside the point, and do not accuse me of bashing Brandon because I do not know the guy personally so I cannot comment. However it is the way the system seems, with several of the "favorite" authors get promoted multiple times while the rest of us fall by the wayside since our contributions to the foundry are not wanted or overlooked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
There are only a couple authors that have had more than one mission featured; I really try to avoid this, but some missions are just too good to not feature. There are also plenty of authors on the spotlight list I linked above that are not well known in the community. I really do look for new and upcoming authors and missions to spotlight.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyrexianhero View Post
I wanted to get some numerical data on the Foundry spotlight winners and saw that of the 34 spotlighted missions so far, there's only been 3 duplicate authors (for each of them to have 2 episodes: Captain_Revo, drkfrontiers, and soriedem). Considering half the spotlight episodes are KDF, note that those 3 authors have 5 of their 6 spotlight missions for KDF -- which I'm confident has fewer episodes in general to pick from and thus a high quality mission has an easier chance of standing out.

So that's 34 episodes for 31 people. I think BranFlakes has been more than fair in getting a wide range of different authors.

So my congratulations to Aavarius, AdmiralMurphy, Alen_de_jour, Alimac30, Bazag, Capt.PFDennis, Captain_Revo, Castomodean, CheRoj, Darren_Kitlor, DenizenVI, drkfrontiers, Drogyn1701, Duke-of-Rock, Evil70th, Galactrix, Havraha, HippieJohn, Kirkfat, Maziken, Meth_Shadowstorm, milesredria, mygod_itsfullofstars, Netherblood, RachelGarrett, RogueEnterprise, Seancy8512, soriedem, Tiuz, woghd, and XR-377 for being spotlighted and best of luck to those who wish to get spotlighted in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
Promoting one mission over another is not fair, not if exactly equal thought and development time has been put into it. Brandon cannot simply play ALL the missions on the Foundry, that's impossible so the system is not fair and is biased.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfrontiers View Post
It's pretty sad where I find myself.

My recent Spotlight took me over 8 months to complete the 5-part series, and nearly a month of editing the video. I spent hundreds of hours working on the script, and the idea.

I did this because I truly love what it is that the Foundry allows me to do, when I am taking a break from PvP.

I must say, as a member of the STO community, I am downright horrified at the number of threatening and abusive mails I have been receiving through You Tube, insulting me personally and my effort. Fortunately I have received numerous letters of appreciation from You Tube for my promotion of STO, and they were kind enough to block the accounts from further abuse.

I am saddened to hear this.

Reviews NEVER deserve to be an insult. Ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
Saying I'm attacking Brandon is not negating that fact... it makes it all the more prevalent because you cannot come back with a reasonable defense.
I don't need to negotiate with you over most of the points you just made, other people did it for me earlier in the thread.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 14,317
# 156
02-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
I agree and I feel that its not needed because its promoting "elitism" to the Foundry and we have enough of that in PvP. Plus, everyone has different opinions about missions so why is it needed, especially if Cryptic are trying to rope you into playing it because they offer "MORE" rewards then standard Foundry missions.

So what is the point? Its a system full of individual bias and it really cannot be said otherwise.

The obscure bits are usually the best and most interesting parts, it what sets apart a true hardcore Star Trek fan from a normal casual fan.
Ultimately, "good" and "bad" in a creative context are a matter of opinion.

Equality is an illusion. It'll never happen because players are free to choose not to play a mission. It doesn't really matter why they don't.

I agree with Bluedarky. Spotlights are about recognizing things that are better than average. trying to force equality into consideration is futile. The point of Spotlights is that it's inherently inequal.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 233
# 157
02-16-2013, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Ultimately, "good" and "bad" in a creative context are a matter of opinion.

Equality is an illusion. It'll never happen because players are free to choose not to play a mission. It doesn't really matter why they don't.

I agree with Bluedarky. Spotlights are about recognizing things that are better than average. trying to force equality into consideration is futile. The point of Spotlights is that it's inherently inequal.
Then its not really worth doing anything on the Foundry, not to compete with Cryptic's rat race for popularity. I mean, it defeats the whole point of the Foundry... but what am I? Just a small player in the 2 Million or so players (probably not that but 2 million Captains, dunno about accounts) who think that equality is part of the ideals of the Federation and something to aspire to. I do not really expect a game made purely for profit to live up to my expectations.

I just wanted to see more variety in the missions featured, not the same authors... that is all. Some more controversial choices would be good and not just missions that overly indulge Cryptic's poorly written fan-fiction which is the story of this game.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 14,317
# 158
02-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Rat race? If your goal as a Foundry author is to get featured.... you're setting the bar too high for yourself.

And Define "more variety" as-is only a few authors have been featured more than once.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 233
# 159
02-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Rat race? If your goal as a Foundry author is to get featured.... you're setting the bar too high for yourself.

And Define "more variety" as-is only a few authors have been featured more than once.
Well no, because the missions already featured were not much different then run-of-the-mill Cryptic variations. Well I do not see why authors have to be mentioned more then once anyway, its not exactly fair to somebody else who might be their first time getting mentioned.

Mission-quality aside, I just do not think its fair for one person's opinion, regardless of who it is to affect the popularity of a mission. I know there were quite a few people saying that "Battleship Royal Rumble" should have received spotlight with over 2000 reviews which is more then the current featured spotlight mission had.

However because Bran thought that he knew what was best for the community, he decided to ignore calls to feature this mission. This is exactly what I am talking about, if it does not fit in with the overblown Cryptic canon then they just simply ignore it.

While people with distinctively average missions (not to name names) get featured more then once. So what is the criteria and why is it so subjective to Bran's opinion being the only one that matters? Is he the authority on Star Trek or am I missing something here?

I am holding that up as more "controversial" titles... there are others that do effectively provide alternate explanations of STO's universe other then Cryptic's and these are fundamentally ignored.

(*Disclaimer: I have not played "Battleship Royal Rumble" so I am unable to comment on the quality of the mission or provide an opinion on it.)

Last edited by warbird001; 02-16-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 366
# 160
02-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
Well no, because the missions already featured were not much different then run-of-the-mill Cryptic variations. Well I do not see why authors have to be mentioned more then once anyway, its not exactly fair to somebody else who might be their first time getting mentioned.

Mission-quality aside, I just do not think its fair for one person's opinion, regardless of who it is to affect the popularity of a mission. I know there were quite a few people saying that "Battleship Royal Rumble" should have received spotlight with over 2000 reviews which is more then the current featured spotlight mission had.

However because Bran thought that he knew what was best for the community, he decided to ignore calls to feature this mission. This is exactly what I am talking about, if it does not fit in with the overblown Cryptic canon then they just simply ignore it.

While people with distinctively average missions (not to name names) get featured more then once. So what is the criteria and why is it so subjective to Bran's opinion being the only one that matters? Is he the authority on Star Trek or am I missing something here?

I am holding that up as more "controversial" titles... there are others that do effectively provide alternate explanations of STO's universe other then Cryptic's and these are fundamentally ignored.

(*Disclaimer: I have not played "Battleship Royal Rumble" so I am unable to comment on the quality of the mission or provide an opinion on it.)
Brandon's stated in other threads that whilst it is a well crafted mission it doesn't qualify for the Spotlight as the Spotlight is for story missions. He'd already checked it before and tbh if people can get Brandon to cave to pier pressure in concern to the Spotlight, that'll be the end of me doing any new Spotlights.

The reason for this is simple, it starts with him caving to one mission, then another, soon the story missions have dropped off due to people demanding more and more grinders like BRR to be spotlighted.

It ends with him caving to pier pressure to ban certain people from the forums, I've been in forums where it's happened, it's not pretty and I'm glad that Brandon seems to be above that.

Last edited by bluedarky; 02-16-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:33 AM.