Ensign
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 10
# 1331
02-16-2013, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
The first rule about moderation club is that you don't talk about moderation club

And no - it's against the rules (apparently) to discuss the actions of the moderators on this forum.

Although I don't know now if this post technically breaks that rule...
I am similarly confused.

====EDIT====

My post here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...81#post8119281

Forum rules: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/an....php?f=20&a=51

Quote from the rules: Creating threads or posts that question or reference administrative decisions or potential administrative decisions, such as post removals and thread closures, is not permitted.

~Brandon
Ensign
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 10
# 1332
02-16-2013, 03:34 PM
Where do we file tickets?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 182
# 1333
02-16-2013, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaharon View Post
Where do we file tickets?
Look at the link in his sig...

"If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "Forums and Website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs. "
Ensign
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 10
# 1334
02-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr4v1t4r View Post
Look at the link in his sig...

"If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "Forums and Website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs. "
You know what I don't see on that page? A link that says "Create Ticket".

EDIT: The button that says "contact us" -- make sure to choose the 'forums and website' drop down (Category>Customer Support>Forums and Website). Please note we'll never discuss moderation with you that was taken against others. That's private information and if that person has questions, they would need to reach out. -Brandon

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 02-16-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 182
# 1335
02-16-2013, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaharon View Post
You know what I don't see on that page? A link that says "Create Ticket".
There is a huge search bar though, why don't you give that a try...
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 805
# 1336
02-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capntripps View Post
Give me some freakin' choices in how to earn the things needed to progress the SB and embassy. I detest being told how to play the game.

And this cuts to the heart of the matter.


Here's a suggestion: Folks want to earn fleetmarks for UGC yes? So find a way to tack them on to the rewards for running Spotlight missions.

That way there is some oversight and review for missions. The ones that pass muster (Review by Das Overflake or whoever ) issue fleet-marks and other "bonuses" as seen fit by whatever power reviews missions.
-------------
ISE ISE Ba-bee. "If you got the Borg yo... I'll solve 'em check out this shot while my torpedos dissolve 'em"
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,020
# 1337
02-16-2013, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekgeektech View Post
You don't think that Dan may have went to Zynga to pick up a few farmville micro-transaction ideas and come back? That may have been the plan all along.
I think, that had this game's original publisher had bottomless pockets, faith in the IP and in Cryptic, that STO would be a very different game to the one we're playing today.

Zinc and Stahl after him had grand visions for STO - both have a passion for Star Trek and I truly believe that Dan wants to deliver the best Star Trek MMO he can - nobody wants a failed MMO on their resume and failing a major IP like Trek is failing about as hard as you can.

The problem is that developing story content - missions, Featured Episodes etc. is so much more time consuming than creating a new ship - even an STF requires a huge investment in design and balancing - months of work for several Devs.

So they're stuck - to get the maximum profit out of the players they need to keep introducing new lockboxes etc. but how many ships do you need before you get tired of doing the same content in them?

So they have to create the story content too but it's given far less priority than the lockbox stuff because it doesn't actually make them any money - it just keeps the players interested enough to take their shiny new Andorian Escort for a spin around the new missions.

And you know, eventually they're going to run out of things to sell. For me, aside from a Tier 5 Connie Refit, they already have - there's no ships, no costumes, no consoles, no races, nothing left that I'd pay for.

I'd pay for some great new Featured Episodes featuring Kestrel's storyline that get the Iconian thread back on track - but I'm not being offered those.

I'd pay for some exciting new ground and space STFs that have the care and attention paid to them that Infected, Khitomer or Cure do - but I'm not being offered those either.
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012

Last edited by weylandjuarez; 02-16-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 43
# 1338
02-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by themarie View Post
Here's a suggestion: Folks want to earn fleetmarks for UGC yes? So find a way to tack them on to the rewards for running Spotlight missions.
Ugh, no. Brandan has terrible taste on content. Tried a couple, couldn't stomach the fanfic.
Career Officer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 544
# 1339
02-16-2013, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
I think, that had this game's original publisher had bottomless pockets, faith in the IP and in Cryptic, that STO would be a very different game to the one we're playing today.

Zinc and Stahl after him had grand visions for STO - both have a passion for Star Trek and I truly believe that Dan wants to deliver the best Star Trek MMO he can - nobody wants a failed MMO on their resume and failing a major IP like Trek is failing about as hard as you can.

The problem is that developing story content - missions, Featured Episodes etc. is so much more time consuming than creating a new ship - even an STF requires a huge investment in design and balancing - months of work for several Devs.

So they're stuck - to get the maximum profit out of the players they need to keep introducing new lockboxes etc. but how many ships do you need before you get tired of doing the same content in them?

So they have to create the story content too but it's given far less priority than the lockbox stuff because it doesn't actually make them any money - it just keeps the players interested enough to take their shiny new Andorian Escort for a spin around the new missions.

And you know, eventually they're going to run out of things to sell. For me, aside from a Tier 5 Connie Refit, they already have - there's no ships, no costumes, no consoles, no races, nothing left that I'd pay for.

I'd pay for some great new Featured Episodes featuring Kestrel's storyline that get the Iconian thread back on track - but I'm not being offered those.

I'd pay for some exciting new ground and space STFs that have the care and attention paid to them that Infected, Khitomer or Cure do - but I'm not being offered those either.

I had forgotten all about the Iconians. That storyline showed promise. Would have been nice to see the ultimate consequence of the Hobus event and the Iconian's return.
Most JJ Trek hate = IDIC fail.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,032
# 1340
02-16-2013, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chyexrsa View Post
So to me it looks like dstahl outright lied saying a fleet of 25+ would only hit the time gate. I can not see that a fleet of 50 who play 2-3 times a week will want to grind 3 or 4 of the hours that they play just to advance the fleet when the way to get FM is so dull and un-popular. Bring back the fun
I don't think he lied. It's what they call iterative development.

Basically, Dan can promise something. It can be 50% done. And a senior designer can say, "Nope. Not feeling it. Let's drop it/increase the price."

And by company policy, Dan is to go along with that (with his senior devs anyway) under the rationale that contradicting them would make them quit and a replacement would be expensive if the person has experience.

So Dan can believe something is going to happen. He can have reason to believe it will happen. It can be a realistic work goal or expectation based on rate of progress.

And the person can say, "I'm not going to do that/it will be more expensive."

And Cryptic goes with it. And Dan doesn't have enforcement ability even if he wanted it. And he's basically dealing with a mutiny situation if he does try to enforce things, which is where I think he was at just prior to leaving for Zynga.

Which is again, why I think what's needed longterm is basically a customer satisfaction oriented marketing lead. And while they can't necessarily tell people what to do, they can veto other people's plans/changes if they expect player backlash and their veto can only be overridden by BOTH Dan and the Chief Marketing Officer of Cryptic.

That basically creates a scenario where some of what I perceive as forceful monetization or gameplay design (not from PWE, I think, but from people under Dan that he has no enforcement power over) can be shot down by a Marketing/Customer Service/Brand Image Lead. And Dan can say, "It's out of my hands!"

And then the developer or developers who want to push these strategies after the marketing Lead vetoes them have to go make a case before both Dan AND the CMO of Cryptic why ticking off customers is justified in this case.

As long as the Marketing Lead uses the veto judiciously, it should slow down some of these kinds of decisions and reinforce the idea that "Hey! This will tick people off!" BEFORE the stuff gets pushed live... and if the veto does get overridden, at least everyone will expect backlash and be battening down the hatches BEFORE the patch drops... Because at that point, somebody will have had to go over Dan's head for any contentious changes.

And if they keep doing it, there will at least be a documented record of "Hey! Why is Tacofangs constantly butting heads with the customer satisfaction guy and going over Dan's head when the behavioral research indicates this will tick people off?" And then you start to have numbers you can weigh against employee replacement costs if it becomes a serious problem. Because the Marketing Lead will say, "I estimate this change will cost us $2000 worth of lost goodwill." And at a certain point, maybe that $25k cost of replacing an employee has numbers it can be measured against.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:49 AM.