Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,109
# 31
02-17-2013, 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufpterrell View Post
I don't understand all this talk of ships being obsolete. It's nonsense, I fly my Galaxy-R because I like it... and I get on quite well with it. It does some decent team healing and keeps me alive in fleet PvP matches even up against two or three foes. Just because something isn't the super duper brand new ship of the month doesn't mean it's not useful. I use the Nebula too on my Science VA and get on fine too, sure it's a lot slower to turn but it gives an interesting mix of cruiser and science play styles. Hell I went for a spin in my T2.5 Exeter last night! Loved it!

For the record, I have most Fed ships off the C-store inc the Odyssey and Vesta bundles. They're good ships, some might say too good... but I enjoy flying the older ships just the same.

They are NOT obsolete.
you don't get it, for both ships you mention there is a fleet upgrade that has superior stats...which makes their non fleet counterpart OBSOLETE.

in the case of the galaxy R, any oddy can copy the boff setup of the galaxy + saucer separation with far superior stats and a bunch of other boff setups.
Nobody says the old ships can't be good, they are just inferior to their fleet counterpart, or some specific new ships on the market.
"And doing fine" doesn't mean that you could do better...
the whole discussion is about 10 console ships makeing 9 console ships obsolete...and since there are the exact same ships you mentioned + many more older versions available now with 10 consoles, it makes utterly no sense to still use the 9 conole counterparts.

That the vesta made the old c-store science vessels with 9 consoles obsolete is a fact, but it is disputeable if the vesta is better than the 10 console fleet versions of those ships. i tend to believe that some still hold up to the vesta.
Same goes for the oddy, which made both the fleet and the normal version of the galaxy-r obsolete.
But if you must have a galaxy-r, because you have the need to feel like picard, get yourself the fleet version. the 9 console version is hopelessly outdated and OBSOLETE, also because of it's boff layout, but thats a different sad story.
Go pro or go home

Last edited by baudl; 02-17-2013 at 03:05 AM.
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 367
# 32
02-17-2013, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Your argumentations like "i do fine", "if they are that desperate to win..." are pathetic.
Actually, not. Face it: with all the talk about how the player and skill win we all see the videos and read discussions: those who need to win are spending either lot of time or lot of money (or both) on few pixels that give the a little more wagh in a free game.

You (read: OPvP players) can play totaly for free without any sort of investement (money and/or time). And if you are that good as you claim you are, you won't have anything to fear from those PUGers who would fly P2W ships. After all - skill matters.

Yet in the end, after all the moaning, cursing, calling OP on most new ships/consoles that come out we can all see you flying those ships and using those consoles. Why? Because you NEED to win at all price. You are that desperate to win. You are just like those guys who will spend thousands on lockbox ship just to do an ESTF a second faster.

It's your time and your money. But do not be suprised if people find it a little pathetic.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,109
# 33
02-17-2013, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarathos1978 View Post
Actually, not. Face it: with all the talk about how the player and skill win we all see the videos and read discussions: those who need to win are spending either lot of time or lot of money (or both) on few pixels that give the a little more wagh in a free game.

You (read: OPvP players) can play totaly for free without any sort of investement (money and/or time). And if you are that good as you claim you are, you won't have anything to fear from those PUGers who would fly P2W ships. After all - skill matters.

Yet in the end, after all the moaning, cursing, calling OP on most new ships/consoles that come out we can all see you flying those ships and using those consoles. Why? Because you NEED to win at all price. You are that desperate to win. You are just like those guys who will spend thousands on lockbox ship just to do an ESTF a second faster.

It's your time and your money. But do not be suprised if people find it a little pathetic.
yes skill is far more important than the ship you fly, but answer me this: If anybody had to choose between a defiant retrofit and a fleet defiant retrofit...which one would they choose?
If you have the resources to aquire a fleet version of the ship you currently use and you refuse to do so, because you think you do not need it, thats just insane. 5 million EC for the module is not even remotely something worth mentioning as a time investment.

this is not about having the fanciest new toy, which are most of the time questionable "upgrades" at best, it is about upgrading the ships you use to fleet ships with only little time investment (not even considering here real money, since it is not needed for those upgrades, and i personally never did buy c/z points via real cash)

there will allways be a better ship, but atleast people should upgrade to the next best version of their favourite ship. If they choose not to do that, it is their business, but should keep their smug additude towards people who do upgrade to themselves.
All 9 console ships are inferior to their 10 console (fleet version) counterpart...thats a fact and as a consequenz the 9 console version is obsolete. people who upgrade their ship are not interested in P2W, it's simply the evolution of the game and a longterm goal to go for in this game.

ofcourse for roleplaying and star trek barbie, a t1 conny is good enough, but 30+ year old adults playing interactive star trek barbie and ken with a smug additude towards more dedicated players that want to pregress in the game and get better playing it, are the real pathetic group of STO players imho.
Go pro or go home

Last edited by baudl; 02-17-2013 at 05:25 AM.
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 367
# 34
02-17-2013, 07:19 AM
Quote:
ofcourse for roleplaying and star trek barbie, a t1 conny is good enough, but 30+ year old adults playing interactive star trek barbie and ken with a smug additude towards more dedicated players that want to pregress in the game and get better playing it, are the real pathetic group of STO players imho.
One could say that 30+ years old adults, ready to spent real money or invest real time on bunch of pixel instead somethin more real like... families (or even beer) for example, are pathetic.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,109
# 35
02-17-2013, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarathos1978 View Post
One could say that 30+ years old adults, ready to spent real money or invest real time on bunch of pixel instead somethin more real like... families (or even beer) for example, are pathetic.
the time (and money) are spend anyway (subscription, lifetime) it's up to the player to waste it as a wannabe roleplaying picard/kirk with the same old ship, or actually play the game to its fullest at a competitive level which requires some dedication.

as i said before, the fleet ship upgrades (10 console ships) don't even require real money or excessive time to get, just the will to do so and a basic understanding that the ship i currently use (9 console ship) is outdated.
If somebody can't afford the time to do that, so be it, just don't be so smug and brag about people who do have the time to invest in gaming and actually want to progress in the game.
Go pro or go home

Last edited by baudl; 02-17-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 790
# 36
02-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarathos1978 View Post
One could say that 30+ years old adults, ready to spent real money or invest real time on bunch of pixel instead somethin more real like... families (or even beer) for example, are pathetic.
You're being the game equivalent of that obnoxious guy who won't shut up about his kids. Your opinion is out there, you don't have to keep derailing the thread by arguing with this guy over playstyle.

Some people actually want to min/max and there are some ships that are better than others in that context and there's no arguing over that, so just stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
If somebody can't afford the time to do that, so be it, just don't be so smug and brag about people who do have the time to invest in gaming and actually want to progress in the game.
Please stop bragging about your build. This guy could roll a brand new character and have the same things as you in a week, just by levelling in PVE, joining a large fleet, and waving their wallet at the game.

Fleet versions of ships are better than freebie versions of ships. I'm sure he knows that. Moving on.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 233
# 37
02-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
truthfully, that is your opinion, and at that not even one that can hold up to simple facts.
you say you fly a long range science retrofit...namely the voyager, which has a fleet variant that is superior in each and every way imaginable.
Nobody says you need to switch to the vesta if this ship is not your favourite, but considering your ship not obsolete when there is an upgraded version of the very same ship is pure nonsense.
Your argumentations like "i do fine", "if they are that desperate to win..." are pathetic.

your last sentence however, made me laugh hard. Appart from being the most rediculous statement i have read in a long time on this forum (that means a lot) it just shows what type of opinionated casual gamer you are. In the sense of: "That guy beat me, he must be cheating and paying to win"

i do not condamn your approach at the game as just beeing a star trek barbie land, where you choose your ship purley by looks and the only real challenge is to win the next beauty contest on risa, aslong as we do not cross ways in an elite stf or something else. If you wish to underperform constantly, please don't involve others and stay out of elite stf and PVP, you are doing the rest of your team a favour.

If you take the game casual, thats cool, but then live with the consequenz that there are much better players in much better ships around and don't be so smug about your casual approach to the game.
You are one sad little elitist... this game is about fun... not about which ship is the best. I actually have fleet ships and I experiment with all the designs I like because I am a STAR TREK FAN, not a Cryptic junkie.

I don't care if the Galaxy is the worst ship in the game, I will fly it and enjoy it because its Star Trek whereas the Odyssey is not.. no matter how much Cryptic try to shove it down our throats.

Last edited by warbird001; 02-17-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 711
# 38
02-17-2013, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
You are one sad little elitist... this game is about fun... not about which ship is the best. I actually have fleet ships and I experiment with all the designs I like because I am a STAR TREK FAN, not a Cryptic junkie.

I don't care if the Galaxy is the worst ship in the game, I will fly it and enjoy it because its Star Trek whereas the Odyssey is not.. no matter how much Cryptic try to shove it down our throats.
+1 ...I'm forever being told to get a vesta to replace my fdssv (yeah, I had the ec to upgrade and my god, the fleet version looks good, although I do fly my old one too in pvp as I refuse to use pay items in combat (well, apart from its fleet costume)) as 'scis cannot dps' but I refuse to upgrade to that -thing- that proclaims to be a sci ship as I know I would not have fun in it, whereas in my fdssv, I do

Of course this is marketing in action - even though the ships are stll good, the human desire for the best leads to peer pressure (peer being used loosely) - I'm glad I'm not the only one to not bow to this push to empty our wallets, no matter the power creep
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,109
# 39
02-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
You are one sad little elitist... this game is about fun... not about which ship is the best. I actually have fleet ships and I experiment with all the designs I like because I am a STAR TREK FAN, not a Cryptic junkie.

I don't care if the Galaxy is the worst ship in the game, I will fly it and enjoy it because its Star Trek whereas the Odyssey is not.. no matter how much Cryptic try to shove it down our throats.
lol, i fail to see how playing a game and upgrading gear is so elitist. Also, if you havent even upgraded your galaxy to a fleet version you are a failbob anyway and anything said beyond this is a waste of my time.

also looking further through the responses of this thread it becomes crystal clear why PUG grps fail beyond the casual infected space elite. The playerbase in this game is so much anti progression and "elitist" that 80% of the players are so casual that even the simplest group interaction becomes undoable or a desaster. Starts at the choice of ships and the build for it at which most players fail completely.
The other 20% that have still half a brain and actually use it when building a ship setup, dominate the rest of the playerbase so hard that they have to call them elitists, P2W person or even cheaters to justify their incredible failing at task as simple as building a functioning and competitive ship.
It is naturally much easier to maintain a certain ignorance for changes in a game, than to adapt to new situations/content.
This brings me directly to the next point, which is the insane amount of whining of players in this game. And that is in direct connection with the playerbase being unable for the most part to build skilltrees and ships. And to actually see people that refuse to get better ships, or even deny that those ships are better, but still complain about how weak their ships are is incredible. No, insane actually.

Get a competitive ship (any 10 console ship will do) and stop braging about how much of a fanboy you are. It does not impress me.
Go pro or go home
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,500
# 40
02-17-2013, 03:10 PM
The only obsolete ship in the game is Gal Retro. It needs an overhaul. I fly my Gal X Dreadnought in STF's all the time and she does good. The rest is all in the build. Before S7 I did STF's in Armitage, since S7 the crits are too much so the GalX came back out. And both fed Va Cruisers Sovie and Star are good. I couple of days ago I faced off a MVAM Prommie in my Star Cruiser and held my own. it became a tie. so while some ships maybe better than others it's really down to player skill and build.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:10 AM.