Lt. Commander
# 1 star trek bridge commander
02-17-2013, 01:55 AM
I just want to share with you guys... I have been playing bridge commander for the last two days, that game brings tears to my eyes... good old straight forward pure fun.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
02-17-2013, 04:05 AM
We need more Trek games, proper Trek games

STO is definitely good, just I think we need more Trek games in general. Or allow new game companies (who want to make Trek) merge with Cryptic to make Star Trek Online the mother of all Trek games.
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
02-17-2013, 04:50 AM
Bridge Commander will and always be the best trek game going. I missed the good old days.
Career Officer
# 4
02-17-2013, 07:26 AM
I've never played it. I'm too cheap to spend that much on a game these days, hehe. I'll snatch it up the moment it hits GOG though. (They just got System Shock 2, btw. How cool is that?)
I miss my _.
Ensign
# 5
02-17-2013, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zix74itaelite View Post
I just want to share with you guys... I have been playing bridge commander for the last two days, that game brings tears to my eyes... good old straight forward pure fun.
Dude, did you play PVP, how many people were on the server? I need to see if I can locate a CD for that. My disk, long ago, got too scratched up and would not play. The FREE (cough cough...listen up Cryptic) mods make that game totally out of this world and FUN. I love the fact that you can be PVP'ing in one sector of space and wrap out to any number of others for some "hide and seek" fun. Awesome.....

Reply back to let me know. I may try to order it on Ebay or something.
Career Officer
# 6
02-17-2013, 08:17 AM
I sitll have my original copy with box along with Elite Force and the expansion pack. In the day of Elite Force 2, I gave my copy to a friend of mine after I had beat it. I do wish I had kept it though.

Comparing Bridge Commander to STO brings a couple of things to mind and most of which aren't good for STO. Bridge Commander captures what it's like to be on the bridge of a starship, the Enterprise no less, and having a First Officer that is eager to the point where she doesn't shut up! She kind of reminds me of Will Riker when he first put Picard in his place by basically saying, you are to fossilized to go on Away Missions. The voice acting in Bridge Commander was vastly superior to anything we have in STO. Both games are very linear but STO disappoints more in that respect due to the mission structure, leveling, and restrictions. STO tried to capture a feel of progression through the ranks and fails in an abysmal way!

Ther eis one thing that is still missing from this game that players have wanted since the very beginning. We want to command our ships from the bridge! Is is the single largest failure that Cryptic has yet to correct with Star Trek Online. As far as I am concerned though, this game still has yet to make it out of the beta phase based on the disgusting state of the game in it's current state! I blame this on the lack of a love of the franchise from those who make decisions in this game. Bridge Commander plays out like a long episode from the TNG era where STO just throws a ton of the same crap at you over and over until you reach certain levels. Once you reach the max level, there is a regular grind and shafting the playerbase when changing things up. Bridge Commander gives you a sense of satisfaction when you finish it. Even the PvP system in Bridge Commander is far superior to what we have no in STO and that's laughable considering the difference between when the games were released.

I may come off as someone who hates this game and feel free to believe what you wish. Personally, I do like for a few simple reasons. There are a lot of places in STO that I can just visit for the sake of visiting. Risa, DS9, Drozana Station, StarFleet Academy, and so on. We need more of these iconic locations in STO and more to do at them. The variety of costumes is nice but we need more and to be able to mix and match them and the ranks in a much better way. We are finally getting to a point where we have a number of playable ships in this game that should have been there from the very beginning. Still, I would have liked the option to stay with a particular ship through out the whole leveling process, if I wanted to. The single most awesome thing about Star Trek Online though is... The playerbase! Most of you are very nice people, die hard fans with a passion for Star Trek that I don't even have. If it wasn't for you folks, this game would of flushed faster than a "Captain's Log" sitting on the event horizon of a super massive black hole.

STO can learn a lot from the Star Trek games of the past. Whether it's the Elite Force series, Bridge Commander, the StarFleet and Klingon Academy series, and the countless others out there. STO's promative engine, a staff that are barely qualified to develop for it, and a narrow-minded batch of decision makers will always hold this game back from what it could be.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
02-17-2013, 08:25 AM
I really haven't played any other Trek games before. They should release all these old Trek PC games on Steam so I can play them.
Captain
# 8
02-17-2013, 06:59 PM
I used to have this game the disc got destroyed (it is a very expensive game to buy due to rarity too) it was a more authentic trek experience than sto is. It felt like you were in a tng episode and the mod community is awesome.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Lieutenant
# 9
02-17-2013, 10:45 PM
http://stexcalibur.com/

Check it out.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-17-2013, 11:15 PM
Bridge Commander like so many had great features that Cryptic refuses to add into STO, they make endless excuses, the engine cant do that. I say, it is a lack of REAL programmers that are just not experienced enough.