Lt. Commander
I wonder if Cryptic will give authors the power to remove "user reviews" from a mission.

It would also be nice to "opt out" of mission reviews. When you get something like "Map design is basic"... well its the Foundry... you cannot do massive amounts of customization so its a bit stupid to get that comment. Everything in the foundry is regulated to be stuck to Cryptic based maps, you cannot even make custom interior maps and the object placing system is difficult to see without having to go preview the mission every five minutes.

Pedantic little comments made for the sake of looking for something "wrong" is annoying and subjective. There are too many trolls in this game to actually consider doing something for serious critical appraisal.

"Disjointed Plot", Guess Cryptic would know all about that then, wouldn't they.

Last edited by warbird001; 02-17-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Captain
# 2
02-17-2013, 03:44 PM
It might be a better idea to have a "Submit Review to GM" button instead, for those comments like "wtf" and "I WANTZ MOAR BATTLEZ" that really don't reflect your Foundry missions.

For example: I released a testing version of a mission I last worked on two months ago. I've gotten a 1-star review for "Really should list it as a Ground Only match" (that was by a user named Fredenburg - if you're seeing this, remember my mission is in the alpha stage, it's not even halfway done yet).

There should also be a "clean slate" button for reviews - some people re-release their missions to cover up the old mistakes, but still suffer from low reviews.

stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More!
It's about time. DEVS NEED ACCOUNTABILITY.

Last edited by stardestroyer001; 02-17-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardestroyer001 View Post
It might be a better idea to have a "Submit Review to GM" button instead, for those comments like "wtf" and "I WANTZ MOAR BATTLEZ" that really don't reflect your Foundry missions.

There should also be a "clean slate" button for reviews - some people re-release their missions to cover up the old mistakes, but still suffer from low reviews.
My main comment was it was funny having a Cryptic Mod telling me I had a "disjointed plot" and it "didn't feel like Undine at all"... I was so biting my tongue and almost said "Did you even watch "In The Flesh" (Voyager: Season 5) and "Well, Cryptic would be the expert on disjointed plots, wouldn't they?"

Insulting comments just to be pedantic and insulting are just childish, especially coming from one of the leaders of this community.

Not the first time I've seen this... and I am not the first person this kind of thing has happened to. It was just another example of what I was saying beforehand. If its not "Cryptic-timeline", they are not interested.

Last edited by warbird001; 02-17-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Commander
# 4
02-17-2013, 04:43 PM
First off let me say that the person you're talking about, beyond being a Community Moderator, isn't affiliated with Cryptic or PWE as he states in his sig.

Secondly I attempted a playthrough of your mission the other night, your plot meanders and is inconsistent within itself. A prime example is that you start by referring to the Undine as Species 8472 then seemingly randomly switch to Undine halfway through the mission.

Also on your comment of you can't create detailed maps in the Foundry, I direct you too Keeping up with the J'Sens by Castmodean, it's a spotlighted mission making it easier for you to find.

The maps entire 3 indoor sections onboard the Freighter were made by hand by Castmodean and are incredibly detailed and well done even if the lack of map makes it difficult to see how to get to your objectives.

Try reading the tutorials on StarbaseUGC.com about making custom interiors if you want to find out how these are done.
Captain
# 5
02-17-2013, 04:48 PM
The hardest thing for any creator to accept is the awareness that they aren't brilliant.

But I do support the idea of being able to send the hate spam to a GM just because I don't like that sort of player and would like to see them even more miserable.
# 6
02-17-2013, 05:21 PM
It's one thing to be able to report abuse to a mod.

Another thing entirely to allow foundry authors to pick and choose which ratings and comments are applied to their work.

The work stands or falls, in this regard, on player feedback. Simply allowing an author to remove the negative feddback means we may as well allow them to write their own reviews and pick their own rating.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-17-2013, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedarky View Post
First off let me say that the person you're talking about, beyond being a Community Moderator, isn't affiliated with Cryptic or PWE as he states in his sig.

Secondly I attempted a playthrough of your mission the other night, your plot meanders and is inconsistent within itself. A prime example is that you start by referring to the Undine as Species 8472 then seemingly randomly switch to Undine halfway through the mission.

Also on your comment of you can't create detailed maps in the Foundry, I direct you too Keeping up with the J'Sens by Castmodean, it's a spotlighted mission making it easier for you to find.

The maps entire 3 indoor sections onboard the Freighter were made by hand by Castmodean and are incredibly detailed and well done even if the lack of map makes it difficult to see how to get to your objectives.

Try reading the tutorials on StarbaseUGC.com about making custom interiors if you want to find out how these are done.
First off, can I say that yes, there might be problems, it is a rough draft, doesn't mean it will be perfect straight away, however that is no reason to be so sarcastic and downright rude.

Secondly, I deliberately refer to the Undine as Species 8472 because the Undine is a fan made name and not the actual name of the species. I'm sorry if you don't like that but I've never considered expanded universe canon.

Like I said, that mission was a rough draft that was going to get continually polished. A mod basically saying "this is a pile of s***"... effectively damns me from even getting good reviews on the mission once it has been improved. I only have a limited period of time to work on them during the day because I work.

So basically, what is the point of doing the foundry if people are just going to slag things off not because of the mission but because they don't like you. I could quite easily go on a Captain Revo mission and pick the story apart.
Commander
# 8
02-17-2013, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
First off, can I say that yes, there might be problems, it is a rough draft, doesn't mean it will be perfect straight away, however that is no reason to be so sarcastic and downright rude.

Secondly, I deliberately refer to the Undine as Species 8472 because the Undine is a fan made name and not the actual name of the species. I'm sorry if you don't like that but I've never considered expanded universe canon.

Like I said, that mission was a rough draft that was going to get continually polished. A mod basically saying "this is a pile of s***"... effectively damns me from even getting good reviews on the mission once it has been improved. I only have a limited period of time to work on them during the day because I work.

So basically, what is the point of doing the foundry if people are just going to slag things off not because of the mission but because they don't like you. I could quite easily go on a Captain Revo mission and pick the story apart.
First off I never said I didn't like your referring to them as Species 8472, personally I think Undine is a weak name as well, the problem is that how you refer to them through the mission is inconsistent between dialogues, also it's entirely possible for you to rename the Undine mobs to Species 8472 making it even more consistent.

Secondly we're not slagging you off, we're trying to help you improve as an author, yes I understand that a review of "disjointed plot" might not be the most helpful thing in the world, but I'm positive that had you approached Syberghost and asked why he felt it was disjointed then he'd have been happy to try and point out why he felt it was disjointed.

However instead of asking this you came onto the forums and started to rant about how insulting he was and then started to rant about how he's forever damned you from receiving positive reviews. (Seriously, just add an updated on <date> into the description and most people will ignore reviews prior to that date.)

Unfortunately all I'm getting from you is that you don't want to improve and feel your missions were absolutely perfect how they were. If that is the case then your free to continue as you please.

If you want to improve, follow the advice in my "Joining the Shadowy Author Cabal" thread and try sending PMs to people who leave short bad reviews on how they feel your mission can be improved. You'll be surprised how much it can help.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-17-2013, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedarky View Post
First off I never said I didn't like your referring to them as Species 8472, personally I think Undine is a weak name as well, the problem is that how you refer to them through the mission is inconsistent between dialogues, also it's entirely possible for you to rename the Undine mobs to Species 8472 making it even more consistent.

Secondly we're not slagging you off, we're trying to help you improve as an author, yes I understand that a review of "disjointed plot" might not be the most helpful thing in the world, but I'm positive that had you approached Syberghost and asked why he felt it was disjointed then he'd have been happy to try and point out why he felt it was disjointed.

However instead of asking this you came onto the forums and started to rant about how insulting he was and then started to rant about how he's forever damned you from receiving positive reviews. (Seriously, just add an updated on <date> into the description and most people will ignore reviews prior to that date.)

Unfortunately all I'm getting from you is that you don't want to improve and feel your missions were absolutely perfect how they were. If that is the case then your free to continue as you please.

If you want to improve, follow the advice in my "Joining the Shadowy Author Cabal" thread and try sending PMs to people who leave short bad reviews on how they feel your mission can be improved. You'll be surprised how much it can help.
I never said my work was perfect... No offense but all you've done is sat on your high horse and looked down on me. Not just now but in a couple of posts here and in other topics now. I really couldn't care less what that guy thinks, I don't know him and his opinion means nothing to me. Just because he's high on the pecking order doesn't mean he knows any better about Star Trek.

Plus if you are going to get picky over things like naming mob groups then you obviously need to do something a little better with your time. My point is that someone will read that and go "Oh, its a mod.. Oh its not that good" and won't even bother to play it.

Have you ever heard... "Praise in public, criticize in private". I won't let the foundry be used in a fashion to chastise people's creativity. In retrospect, why did he not PM me with his "concerns" so I could at least respond to them, instead of posting it up for the world to see?

To me, this is another example of Cryptic not knowing how their decisions ultimately affect other players. They don't have a clue. Its like hacking into my Facebook and posting something rude in there... As a mod, he should be a lot more of an adult... and this is the second time I've seen him act like a child... he was really sarccy the other day too..

Manners seems to be a concept lost on people today, I would not go on somebody's mission that they spent hours on and start ripping it apart and if you think that is acceptable, with all due respect, get your head out of your backside.

Last edited by warbird001; 02-17-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Captain
# 10
02-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
Have you ever heard... "Praise in public, criticize in private". I won't let the foundry be used in a fashion to chastise people's creativity.
Never go to art school.