Lt. Commander
# 21 Cryptic, take note...
10-06-2009, 08:22 AM
I just hope they don't wait too much longer to launch the closed beta. I'm sure many will dismiss this, but the latter half of November and December is a tough time for people to focus on gaming due to holiday commitments. People are traveling, doing holiday shopping, etc; not really the ideal time to expect your closed beta testers to pound on STO to find the bugs and report them so we can have a smooth launch.

I would suggest that the best-case scenario would be: closed beta starting before end of October and running through mid-January; open beta from then through Mid-February, then launch. It matches the 1st-quarter 2010 launch that Cryptic is aiming for and allows plenty of time for productive closed-beta and open-beta periods. True, the closed beta would still fall during those busy months I mentioned, but at least there would be some time before the holiday crunch that people can spend testing.
Lt. Commander
# 22 omfg
10-06-2009, 11:20 AM
I haven't been this excited about a Star Trek Game since.... ever. After such a long line of garbage games in the franchise I hope that I'm not setting my expectations too high., but I don't think I am. I can't wait to get out there an explore every inch of the galaxy, and get into some trouble.

"When will then be now?"
"Soon."
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Quote:
but the latter half of November and December is a tough time for people to focus on gaming due to holiday commitments. People are traveling, doing holiday shopping, etc; .
I could see that, but for me its the slowest time of the year. Being in two bands and working full time, the holiday season represents a time to really focus more on recreation than on my countless other responsibilities. although this game may force me to give up music in the interest of seeking out new life.
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-06-2009, 11:28 AM
I completely agree with you, Marticus. I really, REALLY want to see this game become a major success and be the first Star Trek-related game to be overwhelmingly well-received by fans and critics alike. I don't expect it to de-throne WoW or anything like that, but it would sure be nice to give that amateurish cartoon of an MMO a run for its money (apologies to WoW fans...nothin' but love for ya ).

That is why I don't want Cryptic to hold off too long on starting their closed beta. We should have a good two months of closed beta time to really pound on the game and work out the kinks before open beta starts, when any last-minute clean-up or touch-up can be done and server stresses are really put to the test. If they are still aiming for Q1 2010, they can't afford to hold off much longer, and I wouldn't think pushing back the release date is a viable option.
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-06-2009, 12:00 PM
I rarely felt this urge to get my hand on a game now that I Know by the end of the year the beta will be on !!!
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Looking for someone who's played a lot of MMOs, huh?

WoW, of course, before Burning Crusade came out and ruined crafting for me. Never went back.
*********, before it became clear that Pay-to-Play was so horribly imbalanced and brokenly powerful that Free-to-Play was a waste of time. I hear it's even worse now.
Dabbled in 9Dragons, Perfect World, Ragnarok Online, LOTR Online, NeoSteam, and other "Korean MMOs." Dropped them all because of GrindFail.
Was present during the Hellgate: London launch, and was utterly unsurprised to see it crash and burn.
Played a little Tabula Rasa, dropped it because of endless warfare burnout. Also, requiring exploration to gain access to critical class skills was GameplayFail.
Played in Runes of Magic before the Death Penalty drove me away. I hear it's much improved now.
Guild Wars, all four expansion/chapters. Still my all-time fav.
Recently joined DND Online. Liking the gameplay, bemoaning the slow leveling. In other words, hooked like a fish.
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-06-2009, 12:12 PM
I just read the Q&A with Zinc, and I thoroughly enjoyed it (especially his description of the Star Trek fans and community). It made me even more excited about the game (if that's possible lol), and I'm glad Cryptic has spent a good amount of time tweaking the ground combat.

Man, I can't wait for beta!
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks for that link
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug3575 View Post
2009 is good news. Let's just hope it is November 2009.
I mean, if you're going to hope, why not hope for October 2009?
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Nice to read, keep getting the word out, think this game will be a HUGE launch. Thanks for the link.