Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 366
# 11
02-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Then seeing as you wish to ignore my advice and seem to have no wish to improve, I bid you good day.

If you change your mind then you know at least know where to find help with your missions now.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 233
# 12
02-17-2013, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
Never go to art school.
No, Art is not my thing... to much hassle for no real point.

Plus, I didn't say I was going to ignore you advice. I said, I don't want to become a Foundry Elitist because I'm not God's gift to Star Trek like a lot of people think they are.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 366
# 13
02-17-2013, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
No, Art is not my thing... to much hassle for no real point.

Plus, I didn't say I was going to ignore you advice. I said, I don't want to become a Foundry Elitist because I'm not God's gift to Star Trek like a lot of people think they are.
I'm not an elitist, I've got one finished mission and that's it. But just because it's finished right now doesn't mean I'm not prepared to rework it if people tell me ways it can be improved.

I'll make you an offer, reupload your mission, I know that PrimetimeUGC was getting ready to review it when you pulled it so they'll most likely play it and I'll give it a proper playthrough and offer my advice on how to improve it.

Just be aware that the review window isn't really enough to offer advice on improving, your best bet is to approach those who leave short reviews and ask why they felt that way, and don't let one review by a Community Moderator stop you, if you do improve and promote your mission well then it'll be lost under an avalanche of good reviews.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 649
# 14
02-17-2013, 07:58 PM
You can file a community ticket in order to get reviews looked at, but heres the thing, you have to be able to show that the review in some way breaches the terms of service.

In the wake of the ongoing fiasco, I got hit with a number of reviews that were (and in some cases are) nothing but petty childishness. I filed about the ones that outright violated the ToS, but at the same time I left others, because while I might not love a review that says just 'crap' I cannot be certain that its someone who just did not like the mission (or bothered to read any of the words to begin with) or if it was someone who was just being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,060
# 15
02-17-2013, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
I said, I don't want to become a Foundry Elitist because I'm not God's gift to Star Trek like a lot of people think they are.
Look, everyone but you can see that the real problem is that your ego got bruised and you want the ability to make sure it doesn't happen again. If you're going to create something and do more than hide it under your mattress when you're done, you're going to have to do three things;

1) Grow a thicker skin.

2) Learn to tell the difference between getting you attacked and your work getting attacked.

3) Realize that the majority are not going to love what you do. That's as true for the most famous musicians/actors/writers/painters/etc as it for some jerk with a Tumblr account and a webcomic. (Hello!)

Bluedarky isn't looking down on you and has been more than giving to you over this. Get over yourself and look at his offer to help you as the kindness it is.
_________________
Nebula coffee is the best coffee
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,761
# 16
02-17-2013, 08:43 PM
What the op is complaining about is constructive criticism. You can take it or leave it. I suppose I see the point that having a prominent member of the foundry community criticize a mission may hurt the missions popularity but it is a far cry from being trolled by 15 year old boys on Xbox live or having the mission 1*ed into oblivion. I left constructive criticism on one mission and the author thanked me for it.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR

Last edited by lincolninspace; 02-17-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,416
# 17
02-17-2013, 08:49 PM
It would be smart if the Foundry team could implement somekind of system that could handle these 1-star "attacks". I've seen some foundry authors get some pretty........well lets just say unconstructive feedback.

While CSR has their hands full, perhaps a flagging system is put into place that if a person has 3 or more unconstructive feedbacks, they would be locked out of the feedback system for a duration of time, and maybe go to extremes like being locked out of the Foundry altogether after repeated offenses.



Furthermore, I imagine most of these unconstructive 1-star ratings is done by players who purposely drop the mission even at the very beginning in a type of trolling or "1-star sabotaging".

So to prevent this, might I suggest to the Foundry team that if a mission is dropped before completion, the Ratiing and Feedback system is disabled. But for those people who legitimately dropped the mission due to a bug, a Bug Report option is available as an option next to the TOS / EULA report, that players could tell the Foundry author what happened. And the Author wouldn't have to get 1-stard for a Foundry glitch.

And if abusers decide to use that bug report system to attack the author with unconstructive feedback, the author would have an button to report the questionable feedback to CSR.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,432
# 18
02-17-2013, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
It would be smart if the Foundry team could implement somekind of system that could handle these 1-star "attacks". I've seen some foundry authors get some pretty........well lets just say unconstructive feedback.

While CSR has their hands full, perhaps a flagging system is put into place that if a person has 3 or more unconstructive feedbacks, they would be locked out of the feedback system for a duration of time, and maybe go to extremes like being locked out of the Foundry altogether after repeated offenses.

Furthermore, I imagine most of these unconstructive 1-star ratings is done by players who purposely drop the mission even at the very beginning in a type of trolling or "1-star sabotaging".

So to prevent this, might I suggest to the Foundry team that if a mission is dropped before completion, the Ratiing and Feedback system is disabled. But for those people who legitimately dropped the mission due to a bug, a Bug Report option is available as an option next to the TOS / EULA report, that players could tell the Foundry author what happened. And the Author wouldn't have to get 1-stard for a Foundry glitch.

And if abusers decide to use that bug report system to attack the author with unconstructive feedback, the author would have an button to report the questionable feedback to CSR.
I again will post what I did earlier: I released a testing version of a mission I last worked on two months ago. I've gotten a 1-star review for "Really should list it as a Ground Only match"... when it's an ALPHA. Really ticks me off sometimes.


In regards to CS, quite frankly I feel they are understaffed and don't have the tools to do what they need to do. And that's PWE's fault, for not hiring enough people.

Now, locking people out of the Foundry is ridiculous. Remember that whole "Foundry War" thing? People will get reported left and right, and pretty soon, no one will be able to play Foundry missions, resulting in the failure of the Foundry due to no new content (no one's gonna play 'em!), resulting in dstahl announcing further changes... you see where I'm going with this.

The method I proposed in post #2 is the best proposal thus far. People abuse the Bug Report function too. Only "Report Comment to GM" has any chance of success in removing negative garbage feedback.

stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More!
IMO: Season 9 was the best season, Devs were right to focus on bugfixing. Roll back Delta Rising to that.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,962
# 19
02-17-2013, 10:56 PM
I stand by my review. I have used the same process to review missions for years. I played it and evaluated it on its own merits. I look at map design, story flow, dialogue, grammar, spelling, mission construction, polish, and on down the list. When writing a comment, I always start with what I like and then move on to what I feel could use improvement. I believe that a fair and useful review means including both. Fitting both in that tiny space is sometimes a miracle.

I don't always go in-depth for authors, but I'm more than happy to if requested. My reviews are also not final. I am more than happy to revisit the mission and alter my review appropriately should an author revise their mission and request I rerun it.

One thing to keep in mind. I cannot judge author intent, nor their prior experience before creating a mission, when there are no notes on the mission description and I do not know the author personally. When I play a mission, I have only what's right in front of me.

Perhaps this article might help, I wrote it about three years ago when the Foundry was in its infancy. http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/tra...t-bad-reviews/
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic

Last edited by drogyn1701; 02-17-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 366
# 20
02-17-2013, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
Perhaps this article might help, I wrote it about three years ago when the Foundry was in its infancy. http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/tra...t-bad-reviews/
Best advice I've seen to handle bad reviews in a long time. Check out that page and take in what it says
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:02 AM.