Career Officer
Specifically, I'm thinking of the DCUO model. Why? Because there's talk about new lifer/subber benefits.

My guess is that we'll see an expansion that includes a Romulan faction but it will basically be like DCUO's expansions.

So... Missions/gear/faction not available for free. Effectively "leased" to anyone with an active subscription (although you lose access if you drop out as Gold). And a one time fee for free players if they don't want to sub for it.

Now... Looking at pricetags in this game, I figure the price will be more like $50 as opposed to DCUO's $10. You won't need to buy if you sub. And an LTS counts for this purpose as subbing. And unlike DCUO, they'll push LTSes alongside the May update.

Just my hunch.
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
02-17-2013, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Specifically, I'm thinking of the DCUO model. Why? Because there's talk about new lifer/subber benefits.

My guess is that we'll see an expansion that includes a Romulan faction but it will basically be like DCUO's expansions.

So... Missions/gear/faction not available for free. Effectively "leased" to anyone with an active subscription (although you lose access if you drop out as Gold). And a one time fee for free players if they don't want to sub for it.

Now... Looking at pricetags in this game, I figure the price will be more like $50 as opposed to DCUO's $10. You won't need to buy if you sub. And an LTS counts for this purpose as subbing. And unlike DCUO, they'll push LTSes alongside the May update.

Just my hunch.
Your hunch makes me uncomfortable.
Career Officer
# 3
02-17-2013, 08:10 PM
Stahl said many times that there would never would be any paid expansions or updates of STO. And given they are hiring more people for the STO team, I don't get the impression they are in a financial crunch that would mandate the need to go back on that word.

Honestly, the impression I got with that Lifetimer comment with "Season 8" is that Lifetimers would likely get somekind of unique item or Perk that other players would not. Similar how players get unique rewards for Tribble Testing.

Last edited by azurianstar; 02-17-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Captain
# 4
02-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Stahl said manytimes that there would never would be any paid expansions or updates of STO. And given they are hiring more people, I don't get the impression they are in a mony crunch that would mandate the need to go back on that word.
Not to bludgeon a deceased equine...

But you're taking Stahl at his word about anything right now?

I think we both know that if Cryptic thought they could turn a profit on it, they'd start charging zen for rank pips and booting up the replicator.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Stahl said manytimes that there would never would be any paid expansions or updates of STO. And given they are hiring more people, I don't get the impression they are in a mony crunch that would mandate the need to go back on that word.
Stahl said many things than turned out to not be true. I would not rule this out based on that alone. In fact, it almost lends it credence.

Quote:
Honestly, the impression I got on that Lifetimer comment with "Season 8" is likely we get something like a unique item or perk that other players could not. Like how those who do Tribble testing get unique rewards.
Time will tell on this, of course the last "lifer benefit, was a joke. Why would I want to test NW for you? I'm doing it already over in STO.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
02-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Quote:
And given they are hiring more people, I don't get the impression they are in a mony crunch that would mandate the need to go back on that word.

'Moneycrunch' or not they are still in business to make money.
Career Officer
# 7
02-17-2013, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
Not to bludgeon a deceased equine...

But you're taking Stahl at his word about anything right now?

I think we both know that if Cryptic thought they could turn a profit on it, they'd start charging zen for rank pips and booting up the replicator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuui13 View Post
Stahl said many things than turned out to not be true. I would not rule this out based on that alone. In fact, it almost lends it credence.
Look, I'm well aware of the many times Cryptic backed on their word. But sometimes, you got to give people the benefit of the doubt.

If PW is going to make an expansion and charge for it, and Lifetimers get it for free, who am I to argue, I am one of those Lifetimers.
Captain
# 8
02-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Look, I'm well aware of the many times Cryptic backed on their word. But sometimes, you got to give people the benefit of the doubt.
You really don't.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-17-2013, 08:21 PM
Quote:

If PW is going to make an expansion and charge for it, and Lifetimers get it for free, who am I to argue, I am one of those Lifetimers.
You're right, and most of us have. However, time, and time again, Things he's said have turned out to not be the case. I lost all faith in him, when he was 'forced' by TGN to admit to not telling us "the whole story" At some point you have to realize that the person can't be trusted for any reason. I, have hit that point.

My belief in him, cost me 300.00 Unfortunately for me, in the end, it wasn't the case.

Never, again.

Ever.
Career Officer
# 10
02-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post

Just my hunch.
Not impossible I suppose.