Captain
Seriously, outside of the old scramble sensors, when was the last time you launched a probe in STO?

Is that a 'never' I hear? Why yes, I think it is.

One of the thing's STO has been missing since Day 1 has been probes. It had an entire skill named after them, but there was only one power that actually fired anything you could call a probe, and it was a green ball of crap that has since been upgraded to an energy distortion of some sort (and thus, not a probe).

Probes are everywhere in the show, and used for all sorts of science related thngs- but in STO science skills are all basically space magic. Some of the abilities still say that they launch a probe to do them, but their animations are all either firing a beam from the deflector, or... well okay, so it's pretty much just firing crap from the deflector.

But what if we had probes? Well, we'd have looooooots more powers. Just think of what probes could do for you!

Scanning probes to extend sensor range and detect cloaked ships nearby. Maybe even let you fire from beyond normal max range.

Relay probes to extend the range of your other powers.

Power draining probes (so basically siphon drones)

Sensor Analysis probes to scan your target for weak points and apply a debuff to them

Holographic Decoy probes that duplicate your ship and fly in formation with you. When you activate it, it would randomly displace you into a 'formation slot' and spawn a number of duplicates up to the mark of the power (So 1 would get 1, 3 would get 3). Ships would look and move identical to your own, and wouldn't act like pets or NPCs. So enemies would have to 'guess' at which one you are.
Career Officer
# 2
02-18-2013, 01:30 AM
YES! I'd like to see a range of probe launchers which would act as DOFFs 2.0 for modifying and improving existing powers as well as introducing some new ones.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Captain
# 3
02-18-2013, 01:34 AM
Just a quick comment:

Science powers are not space magic so much as distortion fields and gravimetric disturbances caused either by your ship's deflector/weaponry (you will notice your ship shoots a beam to cause a tyken's rift/gravity well).
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
# 4
02-18-2013, 04:05 AM
I want to find anomalies in exploration clusters where I can launch a class one probe which has a chance to trigger a mini episode with rare rewards. Kind of like scanning down an exploration site with probes in Eve Online.
Captain
# 5
02-18-2013, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Just a quick comment:

Science powers are not space magic so much as distortion fields and gravimetric disturbances caused either by your ship's deflector/weaponry (you will notice your ship shoots a beam to cause a tyken's rift/gravity well).
Which is space magic. I know that there's a technobabble justification for it, but the actual effect is that you fire a random coloured beam to make some effect happen. It's space magic in STO, and it's space magic when they did it in the show- but at least in the show it wasn't nearly so magicky. And they fired all kinds of beams in the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bBD5yyT-s0

Last edited by illcadia; 02-18-2013 at 09:12 AM.