Lieutenant
I guess the only missions that can be created are simple space/ground combat with dialog stories, using the default maps, how other people have done stuff like creating a green looking holodeck with just a console in the middle, and when activated, the console fades out, and all the objects fade in without waiting to load maps, these people must have access to assets that other people don't.

I've watched the foundry tutorials on the sto wiki, but they relate to foundry v0.5, but the current version is 0.8, so, which means assets that were available then, are not available now.

Soo, basically, using the provided maps, and default assets, I've come to the conclusion that the only missions that can be made are those of space/ground combat with a storyline, such as the one I made called "Stop Klingon Invasion", it has a basic storyline, but lots of space and ground combat, and that's about all that can be made using what's available.

I hear about all these "work-a-rounds" but no-one wants to give it up an how they do it.

I've looked everywhere on the net and nothing.

What's needed is to actually see the map in a 3D virtual world and using mouse drag and drop, just place, size, and rotate the objects so that they can be seen exactly as they are placed, instead if just guessing how far up/down, left/right, and playing the map each time an object is moved or rotated. EG, one of the Klingon table consoles show the icon on the map with an arrow, supposedly, that arrow represents looking forward, but in fact, for the console, it's pointing to the back of the console.

By using a Virtual world system much as you would see ESD, or a ground mission, then dragging and dropping and object, then allows one to see exactly where it's located and not guess if it's in a wall or if the object is the right way round or not.

Imagine this, loading up the ESD map, enter the map as you would normally, but ESD would be completely empty of npc's, a sidebar would show selections in categories of what object or npc you want to place, then just drag it from the bar to the 3D world, then it can be moved on it's x,y,z axis, and rotated, then you would see precisely where it would be and what it would look like, then when satisfied of all object/npc placement, one can return to the story creation.

To get an idea of what I mean, have a look at the user created 3D world of "Secondlife", objects can be moved around by just grabbing the object(s) and dragging them around the virtual world.
Rihannsu
# 2
02-18-2013, 11:29 AM
which workaround were you curious about?
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Rihannsu
# 3
02-18-2013, 11:36 AM
everybody has access to the same stuff and most assets are still there. one or two have gone, more by accident than design but there are new ones as well.

the fading in and out is a simple trigger. if you click on an object, down the bottom there is a tab for states. you can have them appear and disappear based on certain events in the mission such as part of the storyline, hitting reach markers, clicking on the objects themselves etc.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Lieutenant
# 4
02-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
which workaround were you curious about?
One is the way a green holodeck is created with a console in the middle, then when that console is activated, the console fades out, and the scenery fades in.

the console could have a list of holodeck simulation based scenes, and when one is finished, the scenery chosen would fade out to the green holodeck, and ready to select another scenery, all without loading extra maps.

I've just looked and there is nothing in buildings, or maps for a green holodeck.

Last edited by martok16; 02-18-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Rihannsu
# 5
02-18-2013, 12:05 PM
The Holodeck object is a detail prop.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lieutenant
# 6
02-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
The Holodeck object is a detail prop.
Ok, I found it, but I had to adjust the Y axis to 4m.

I got the console to fade out and an npc to fade in when the console fades out, when activated, but I still can't figure out how to get a scenery to fade in, and replace the holodeck, then when that selection is complete, the scenery would fade out, and the holodeck fade back in, along with the console, ready for the next selection.

I've seen this on a mission I did last week, but I can't remember what it was called, and it only used 1 map, each part of the mission, would fade in and out a different scenery.

Last edited by martok16; 02-18-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
02-18-2013, 12:50 PM
What you'll have to do is build whatever scenery you want outside of the holodeck asset, then fade the holodeck asset out when you hit the console. It'll look close enough to the scenery fading in.

Fading the holodeck asset back in is a problem. It tends to shift the player out of the way, rather than spawn around you. What I did when I made my holodeck-style missions is I just didn't bother with fading one back in at the end. I just had a boff say "We've finished the program, are you ready to exit the holodeck, sir?" and had you hit a console and the mission ends and you are back outside the door you started at.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Rihannsu
# 8
02-18-2013, 01:14 PM
to get the holodeck grid to fade out and back in you have to use copies of the object each set to appear at different times.

What kind of scenery? You can set plants and buildings and stuff to fade in using the same trigger that causes the holodeck grid to fade out. then you can trigger then to fade out when the second one appears.

Example:
1 Start objective A(interact with the console)
2 Complete objective A(whatever you're doing in the first scenario)
3 Finish objective A(walk to the console)
4 Start Objective B(interact with another console)
etc....

Props:
Holodeck1: starts the mission visible and disappears when you complete #1
Console1: starts the misison visible and disappears when you complete #1 (Object interact objectives each have to use a different object so you need to use copies of the console to get it to work)
SceneryA: appears when you complete #1 and disappears when you complete #3
Console2: Appears when you complete #2 and disappears when you complete #3
Holodeck2: appears when you complete #3 and disappears when you complete #4
Console3: appears when you complete #3 and disappears when you complete #4
SceneryB: appears when you complete #4, etc....

Just an example... but it should give you a good idea. In this example, Consoles 2 and 3 need to be in exactly the same spot. But the two holodecks don't. You could set it so that the second holodeck appears near where the first objective completes.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
Lieutenant
# 9
02-18-2013, 01:38 PM
The problem I see with that, is the holodeck does not show it's area, only a dot on the map, knowing where to place objects, would be purely guess work,,, place an object, play map, look at it, too far?, too close?, return to editor, move the object, play map again, check object, and repeat til satisfied of the placement of each and every object placed,,,, far to time consuming, could take up to 5 hours just to create 1 map, place object, play map, check, return, place, play map, check, return, repeat for every placed object.

IMO, the foundry editor is what I call a WYSIWYG editor, what's needed is an 'on-the-fly' editor, a 3D representation of the map, so that objects can be placed and moved around and can be seen how they would look when the mission is actually played.

Last edited by martok16; 02-18-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Community Moderator
# 10
02-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martok16 View Post
far to time consuming, could take up to 5 hours just to create 1 map, place object, play map, check, return, place, play map, check, return, repeat for every placed object.
Yep. Making content with this tool takes a tremendous amount of time. And here's the kicker; this is just a "hardened" version of Cryptic's own tools. It's not all that much different from what they use internally; they can just edit some things directly that we have to do through a GUI. Or that's my understanding, anyway; I'd love to hear a dev confirm/deny that.

I spent over 40 hours on Franklin Drake Must Die before I considered it "done" enough for me to proceed with the next installment in the story. It's barely long enough for the old Daily standards.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google