Captain
# 31
02-18-2013, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drudgy View Post
I honestly don't think it would. Especially if there are item rewards tied to the completion of the mission. What's to stop them from clicking though the mission, getting the rewards, and then "FARMED UR MISSION FOR LOOTZ NOOB" 1 star.
I don't see that getting any worse and the number of people who are jerks of that order are fairly few. Nothing is ever going to be perfect but that's no reason to stick with broken.
Career Officer
# 32
02-18-2013, 02:37 PM
I stand by my comments in my review of your mission. They weren't rude or unconstructive; they were merely brief, because there is a character limit on reviews (which I hit), and there were a great many things very wrong with the mission.

As I also stated, the core of the story itself wasn't bad; you have some good ideas there, you just need to craft them into a coherent plot, and you need to spend a LOT more time on polish than you clearly did. If I may suggest:

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/sto...r-new-authors/

edit: and as others pointed out, I don't work for Cryptic or PWE. I don't represent them, and they can't give me orders, assignments, or instructions. I just moderate forums for them, for free, in my spare time.

Last edited by syberghost; 02-18-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
I stand by my comments in my review of your mission. They weren't rude or unconstructive; they were merely brief, because there is a character limit on reviews (which I hit), and there were a great many things very wrong with the mission.

As I also stated, the core of the story itself wasn't bad; you have some good ideas there, you just need to craft them into a coherent plot, and you need to spend a LOT more time on polish than you clearly did. If I may suggest:

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/sto...r-new-authors/

edit: and as others pointed out, I don't work for Cryptic or PWE. I don't represent them, and they can't give me orders, assignments, or instructions. I just moderate forums for them, for free, in my spare time.
Well in your opinion... I stand by my comments that you had no right to post that on my mission in the first place. I did not ask for you to review it and I would rather not have your "criticism" please because I don't want to spend most of my time laughing as I did when you posted.

I actually took the mission down and have pretty much given up on the Foundry now because its not a very good tool to begin with. You cannot really see where things are placed without constantly previewing the map and quite frankly, Cryptic have sapped the fun out of it, like they've done almost every aspect of this game to begin with.

I really do not believe you have any right to judge my plot as incoherent, it did make me wonder if you had actually seen "In the Flesh" (Season 5 Voyager). You don't like it... well that's your problem, go review the Spotlight missions or whatever else it is you do. Don't leave rude comments when you don't know what you are talking about.

This is why I want the option to opt out of the content review system, so I do not have to put up with the attitudes of some "high and mighty" players.
Career Officer
# 34
02-18-2013, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkster View Post
It's one thing to be able to report abuse to a mod.

Another thing entirely to allow foundry authors to pick and choose which ratings and comments are applied to their work.

The work stands or falls, in this regard, on player feedback. Simply allowing an author to remove the negative feddback means we may as well allow them to write their own reviews and pick their own rating.

I agree... I take stupid comments with a grain of salt when I'm looking to play something. You have to take the good and bad not just cherry pick the reviews you like. We can just give every mission five stars right now then. Every mission would be top rated and once again back to square one.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-18-2013, 03:53 PM
Quote:
If you want to improve, follow the advice in my "Joining the Shadowy Author Cabal" thread and try sending PMs to people who leave short bad reviews on how they feel your mission can be improved. You'll be surprised how much it can help.
NOT! Trust me on that. Out of every 10 PMs I sent out I probably received 1-2 answers. I can count the number of peoples who actually changed the rating afterward on one hand.

Quote:
you cannot do massive amounts of customization
This is so wrong I can't even start to explain why.

Quote:
Everything in the foundry is regulated to be stuck to Cryptic based maps
False

Quote:
you cannot even make custom interior maps
FALSE

Quote:
the object placing system is difficult to see without having to go preview the mission every five minutes.
Every 5 minutes? You are doing it wrong. Try like every 1 minute.

Quote:
You have invested time and effort into a mission and if somebody doesn't play it and gives it one star or comes up with most stupidly critical comments. You are bound to be annoyed, especially if you have taken time on that.
If you think like that, the Foundry is not for you.

Quote:
I stand by my comments that you had no right to post that on my mission in the first place.
I really do not believe you have any right to judge my plot as incoherent
Why? Do you feel special or something?
Everyone has the right to play any mission and rate and comment the way (s)he wishes. Deal with this. If you can't the foundry is not for you.

Oh yeah, I'm an elitist. Why? Because with this tool, every dimwitted idiot can create an "OMG its full of Epics kills" mission in less than 20 mins. I also hate the scores of "story missions" where the so called story boils down to "A massive Borg/Klingon fleet attacked SB1. Wipe them out and save the galaxy!". This is about as original as a cartboard box with creativity rivals that of a rock. Still, one such mission can be cranked out in 40 mins.

If I don't see that the author actually put the time into the creation of the story and the sets and the immersion, I get disappointed.

Last edited by pendra3780; 02-18-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Then the Foundry is not for me... end of conversation. Once again, this game has failed to provide something worth doing. Guess, I was expecting a little more maturity from the STO playerbase. My bad.
Career Officer
# 37
02-18-2013, 04:23 PM
you published your mission in a rough shape, you got bad reviews, you quit.

Did I get the situation right?

Questions.
Why publish the mission, knowing you're not completely done with it?
Did you put a disclamer that it was your first mission and that it was still a work in progress?
Did you expect that every player would love your mission?
Do you think your mission is/was perfect as it is?
Rihannsu
# 38
02-18-2013, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
Then the Foundry is not for me... end of conversation. Once again, this game has failed to provide something worth doing. Guess, I was expecting a little more maturity from the STO playerbase. My bad.
Maturity? lol wut?

You want to be able to put a mission up for everyone to look at and never get ANY suggestions on how to make it better? Where does that happen? I've never heard of that in the history of ever....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
# 39
02-18-2013, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
Well in your opinion... I stand by my comments that you had no right to post that on my mission in the first place. I did not ask for you to review it and I would rather not have your "criticism" please because I don't want to spend most of my time laughing as I did when you posted.

I actually took the mission down and have pretty much given up on the Foundry now because its not a very good tool to begin with. You cannot really see where things are placed without constantly previewing the map and quite frankly, Cryptic have sapped the fun out of it, like they've done almost every aspect of this game to begin with.

I really do not believe you have any right to judge my plot as incoherent, it did make me wonder if you had actually seen "In the Flesh" (Season 5 Voyager). You don't like it... well that's your problem, go review the Spotlight missions or whatever else it is you do. Don't leave rude comments when you don't know what you are talking about.

This is why I want the option to opt out of the content review system, so I do not have to put up with the attitudes of some "high and mighty" players.
Syberghost had the right to post his comments on that mission, as did everyone who gave it a bad review, you agreed to allow him to comment on that mission the moment you hit the publish button.
Captain
# 40
02-18-2013, 06:16 PM
I would agree. Unless you mark your mission as "Do not play", your mission is fair game for any kind of review once you publish it.

That being said, reviews that infringe on the EULA aren't acceptable; however, receiving a bad review because of legitimate reasons should and must be accepted by any author. Actually, I enjoy getting the constructive 1-star reviews - it offers a different perspective on how I can improve the mission.

stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More!
It's about time. DEVS NEED ACCOUNTABILITY.