Survivor of Romulus
# 2551
02-20-2013, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpacknz View Post
There is one, give me the solution I screamed for when the Probe Farmers came out in the Borg Red Alerts, FRIENDLY FIRE. Blow them to hell when they are just AFK and when that happens they get nothing for contributing nothing.

Failing that, just implement a simple counting code that monitors their firing and/or healing rates, if they are not doing anything, they get nothing...

2 very simple solutions...
but probably to easy for the devs to implement
Welcome to bugs online were we only fix the bugs you like, and will ignore the ones you hate.
These are the voyages of the USS Farmville. Her 5 year mission is to boldly farm where no one has farmed before.
Say No to ARK
Career Officer
# 2552
02-20-2013, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbor2 View Post
but probably to easy for the devs to implement
Problem with a ticker to check on powers being used is that I can create macro to punch my space bar and cycle my powers whilst I am AFK so that wouldn't work as a solution.

Also there are a number of legit reasons for going AFK including phone-calls and other real world interruption we must be mindful to only target persistent AFKr's, especially considering the myriad bugs in the game that often interfere with peoples ability to contribute.

That is difficult, the developers would have to be vary wary that any solution didn't create more problems than it solves.
Career Officer
# 2553
02-20-2013, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr4v1t4r View Post
We don't need another discussion, we need an open and transparant dialogue between the team at Cryptic and all of those in the community that wish to partake.
Well, I'd like that as much as you but I think the window for that has passed - Dan's thrown a whole bunch of Fleet Marks at Tribble but otherwise, like a petulant child that knows they've been caught doing wrong, he's remained silent.

Instead of posting to the main forums (in an unrelated thread) he should have posted here. Instead of keeping the Tribble Fleet Mark changes secret until now, he should have informed us what was the plan.

Instead of hoping we'll all be quiet and go away, he should be engaging with the community right now to ensure this sort of thing doesn't happen again.
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012

Last edited by weylandjuarez; 02-20-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Captain
# 2554
02-20-2013, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
OR they were still data mining the server to see what players were earning from the other content designed to reward FM - and were fiddling with the final numbers based on the data they got.
You'll notice I put a fairly massive disclaimer on that.

However, I still stand by my opinion that a great deal of the rage going Cryptic's way could be ameliorated if they simply stopped with the "trust us while we don't tell you anything" act and simply provided details.
Career Officer
# 2555
02-20-2013, 03:33 PM
I have to say overlord, I completely agree with your long summary on the game as it stands. The main thing that keeps me coming back to this game is my friends, my fleet and the fact that it is Star Trek.

I've played other MMOs in my time like FFXI (8 years), Guild Wars and even tried Eve. Now when I look at how they manage their games and deliver new content, it really sets a standard that Cryptic don't seem to live up to. I know Eve is quite an extreme to look at when it comes to a space MMO, but there are aspects of that game which could be utilized in a game like STO.

I've moved on from FFXI and I'm getting ready to beta test FFXIV 2.0 - SE really got it wrong when they originally released FFXIV, much like Cryptic and despite this they made major changes to the game and re-introduced aspects of FFXI that worked and eventually shut down the game for a small period of time to prepare for the Alpha release of FFXIV 2.0 and after playing the Alpha release, it's really paid off IMO.

It's honestly getting to the point where I think a revamp of many aspects of this game would be worth it and re-introducing a Star Trek Online 2.0 to the community. I know Cryptic doesn't have as much power behind them as say Square Enix, so whether this would be possible, I honestly have no idea.

Either way, to avoid having to revamp the game and take servers offline, I think Cryptic have a lot of work on their hands to be getting on with, to deliver us a true Trek game.

"We're doing it wrong, but it's working...."
Career Officer
# 2556
02-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khayuung View Post
This came up on Tribble today:

That's... A LOT of fleet marks!!!

And we get fleet marks from pvp too?!

I'm stunned speechless. That is amazing!

Oh look a SHINY!

Lets forget about all the other problems the games having now..

XD

Please don't let them draw your attention away from all the other problems. This should have happened LAST week when they pulled the other FMs from The Foundry.
Career Officer
# 2557
02-20-2013, 03:38 PM
On a side note, there is no guarantee they won't trim the new FMs down in May when they roll out the next mess of an update.

This could be a measure just to placate the masses until then.

Because as you surely know by now, its all in the metrics...
Career Officer
# 2558
02-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Honestly, this whole chain of events has me baffled.

a) Cryptic removes Fleet Marks from Foundry Missions because of 'AFK exploiters'.

b) Dan states that by his metrics, Fleets are hurting for Dilithium, not Fleet Marks.

c) Cryptic leaves in Dilithium rewards for Foundry missions which remain exploitable by 'AFK exploiters'

d) Dan says he want Fleet Marks as rewards for 'Fleet Play' (with no real justification why).

e) Fleet Marks are reinstated into various 'Fleet' Actions, PvP etc.

Now, the additional Fleet Marks are a good thing, but the scaled reward nature of these events is still horrible - and if I'm honest (PvP aside) the only one of those options I find remotely engaging is Mine Trap, which (since it's possible to be teamed with a truly dismal team) can reward single-figure FM rewards.

This thing takes what? 20 minutes to play? And I'm still looking at a likely pay-out of 35-40 FMs for doing it?

Why would you want to ration FMs? Is it really to screw over the small Fleets? It just feels so much like that's the plan here.
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Lieutenant
# 2559
02-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
c) Cryptic leaves in Dilithium rewards for Foundry missions which remain exploitable by 'AFK exploiters'
That does put the lie to his erroneous labelling. And from another standpoint the foundry payouts were nerfed enough that it is now a very inefficient means of collecting compared to other methods.
Lt. Commander
# 2560
02-20-2013, 03:46 PM
But still its nice to know the power of the community. Now we just need to make them listen
about other issues too...

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 02-20-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Closed Thread