Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,759
# 41
02-21-2013, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironphoenix113 View Post
Well, thanks for your help everyone. Sounds like I've got an interesting story to tell this time.
Always happy to assist where I can, and as always, looking forward to reading it
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,759
# 42
02-21-2013, 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
Can't help you on answering that question. :-/
I'll give it a few hours, and if no one has an answer, I'll put it up. It was originally only taken as a series of numbers which I thought would work well as a Borg designation, but looking back, they are more fitting to Eleven's situation than I initially realized. Looks like my subconscious writes better than I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
I definitely liked the introduction to Eleven! That said, I was rather surprised that Eleven didn't get to choose who her new body was modeled after. One might expect a woman to lodge an objection to a man choosing a porn-star body for her...
I've re-written the scene to make that flow better and make more sense, more like what I had been thinking when I initially wrote it. Don't forget, Eleven did express the desire to retain the increased height from her exo-armor. And no men involved in the choice (well, other than myself, of course... ) the captain is female, even if she does have more cojones than some of the males on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
I was also surprised at the offhanded way the suicide of Rynar Lambert was reported. I'm curious--was he disliked by most of the crew?
No, but this is exactly what I was meaning that he just wasn't working as a character: After his initial kickass performance on New Romulus, I found I was treating him almost as window-dressing and something of a non-entity, and a junior character was superseding him, so I felt it was just time for him to go, but wanted him to go with a bang. I've added a more fitting send off for him, to at least show that the crew cared about him, even if I didn't
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,759
# 43
02-21-2013, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
Wouldn't you know it - first post in these forums, and I would have to be inspired by a Literary Challenge. I still think I could have done it better, but it was getting kind of long as it was...
Welcome indeed, what an entry Really strong writing, the characters all sprang to life in my mind's eye, especially Doctor Merida. Can't wait to see where future LCs will take the crew
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,104
# 44
02-21-2013, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
I

@ Grylak: As above, a thoroughly enjoyable entry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrscarlet View Post
LOL, awesome if true


@grylak - I expected your type of reply: scan-blam-and-done. I don't mean to read disrespectful in any way, because that is totally what can happen

Thanks. No disrespect took, it was intentionally written to be a non event. If the situation were different, I'm sure Stunshock would have the whole 'recover the lost drone and help them regain their humanity', but you can't do that with every drone. And I live in the TNG era borg, where a single one is a cause to crap your pants.


I'm thinking of writing full stories about my crew, perhaps when I start those, I'll have a story where they recover a drone and help. But it wont be easy, with certain members of the crew...


I'm also planning a story where it's discovered the Borg Queens have all been booted out and the collective has returned to a proper hive mind, having realised queen's just screw it all up.
*******************************************

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'

Last edited by grylak; 02-21-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,439
# 45
02-21-2013, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grylak View Post
Thanks. No disrespect took, it was intentionally written to be a non event. If the situation were different, I'm sure Stunshock would have the whole 'recover the lost drone and help them regain their humanity', but you can't do that with every drone. And I live in the TNG era borg, where a single one is a cause to crap your pants.
You know ... I think I live there too!

That may be part of why I was not willing to liberate the Borg in my post. I have not had the chance to dig into Kathryn's motivations yet, but between her having been captured and sold by the Orions, fighting against the Borg and finding an Orion-turned-Borg from the group that captured her ... I think her sense of vendetta/revenge justified her actions.

I'm jonesing to write more. Maybe I could start at LC 1 and add to that next week, then spend every other week on older LCs ... Hmmm.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,764
# 46
02-21-2013, 07:43 AM
Ooooh. Finally, an LC that I can write like water! I was doing #37 halfway (even included a new character to commemorate my new Sci Borg boff) when time ran out. Mulled over 38 for lack of inspiration.

Now I hope I can finally do #39, hopefully in time this time! But really, how do you guys find time to write so much? There's so much grinding to do. :s

Btw, is it alright if I go back and do all the LCs retroactively? I think I perform better when I have a "questing" system to follow and get me more motivated about writing. Otherwise, all I'm doing is just write-ups and operations records of my ships and boffs, some of them have been promoted to alt captains.

EDIT: sup Scarlet we can do the retroactive writing together, shall we?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.

Last edited by khayuung; 02-21-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,759
# 47
02-21-2013, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrscarlet View Post
You know ... I think I live there too!

That may be part of why I was not willing to liberate the Borg in my post. I have not had the chance to dig into Kathryn's motivations yet, but between her having been captured and sold by the Orions, fighting against the Borg and finding an Orion-turned-Borg from the group that captured her ... I think her sense of vendetta/revenge justified her actions.

I'm jonesing to write more. Maybe I could start at LC 1 and add to that next week, then spend every other week on older LCs ... Hmmm.
From an external perspective, it came across that she was avenging herself on the creature which had been an Orion, not on a disconnected drone I think she would have behaved similarly had the Orion been beamed aboard unassimilated from a damaged shuttle... I might cast an eye on some past LCs as well, and see what inspires me
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,759
# 48
02-21-2013, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khayuung View Post
Ooooh. Finally, an LC that I can write like water! I was doing #37 halfway (even included a new character to commemorate my new Sci Borg boff) when time ran out. Mulled over 38 for lack of inspiration.

Now I hope I can finally do #39, hopefully in time this time! But really, how do you guys find time to write so much? There's so much grinding to do. :s

Btw, is it alright if I go back and do all the LCs retroactively? I think I perform better when I have a "questing" system to follow and get me more motivated about writing. Otherwise, all I'm doing is just write-ups and operations records of my ships and boffs, some of them have been promoted to alt captains.

EDIT: sup Scarlet we can do the retroactive writing together, shall we?
I've seen an open invitaton for further submissions at the end of some LCs, so I take that as a yes Equally, writing to a set topic is fantastic for discipline, I just wish the LCs were weekly
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,104
# 49
02-21-2013, 08:18 AM
Yeah, you can go back and write once they have officially finished. I have.
*******************************************

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,439
# 50
02-21-2013, 08:36 AM
@ marcus - *points to the nose* This LC was a chance for me to reveal a part of her past without getting deep into it. Just fyi - I wrote her bio in-game the day I started playing, so her experience prior to Starfleet was already in place before this LC. A small hint was seen in LC 35 (iirc).

Although I too wish the LC were weekly, I would not have made LC 38 if that were the case. So, I'll satisfy my writing "need" by taking the time in between current LCs by working on past LCs. Maybe my character(s) will make more sense later ...

@ khayuung - Yes indeed - but I think going back to previous LCs will not have a time limit like the current ones. That should make rwriting them less stressful. On the other hand I'm going to be living in this forum the more participate with us On a side note: I write when I'm at work, but I think and plan on the commute. Otherwise I'm playing with my son

EDIT:
@jonsills - Heck yes that was great dialogue! Very smooth on the mind. I also appreciated the use of a differnet language. I look forward to reading more from you in the future!
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene

Last edited by cmdrscarlet; 02-21-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:43 AM.