Survivor of Remus
# 21
02-12-2013, 12:57 PM
If you do not want to be a Vice Admiral, setting your rank and title to something lower works fine.

Personally, I do not think Vice Admiral is grandiose enough. I demand to be addressed as "His Glorious Potency, Lord High God-king" regardless of my character's actual gender or in-game accomplishments.
Career Officer
# 22
02-14-2013, 08:17 AM
It really is not that big of a deal...if you do not like being a VA, then just say you are a Level 50 Captain.

You have been Assmilated...Get over it...
"Sips her PWE Koolaide and looks at alllll the goodies in the Z store"
Badname Betty (PvP...PvE...STF...Trophy Hunter...Latnium Collector...Federation)
Commander Morgana (PvP...PvE...STF...KDF)
1000 day vet and LTS
STO Join date: 7 Feb 2010
Captain
# 23
02-14-2013, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestargaze View Post
... I don't know about you but I did not aspire to be vice admiral when I was watching Star Trek. No, I wanted to be captain or lower ranks like Commander and Lt Commander etc. I don't get the concept of having thousands of Vice Admirals roaming about on STO.
I'm a Vice Admiral because the higher ranks haven't shown up yet.

Quote:
This ranking system does not make any sense to me. What's the fun in this? If I am a starfleet officer, I like to work myself up.. yes .. but I also like to stay being Commander for some time. I don't think leveling up should be connected to your rank. We all level up quickly and never stay in one rank for long. The reason for that is the limitations of the lower ranks (and sometime crappy ships).

Point is, can't we separate the two.. the leveling and the rank?

Also as lower rank of Commander, you are not suppose to be captain or have your own ship, right?
Why? Do you think todays Navy has full-bird Captains commanding destroyers and friggates? Lt.Cmdrs and Cmdrs. run them. Even Ensigns can have ship commands. Typically, the lower the rank, the smaller, less tactically superior the vessel.

Quote:
Is there a better system for this? If so,.. what would it be?
If this is the biggest issue you have with the game, you should feel happy.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-17-2013, 03:45 AM
I had kind of always wished the game could have had about 50 different skills and about 30 possible points in each skill and at cap you have a total of 300 points spent... Sort of a larger 'Mass Effect 1' style skill tree layout and everyone caps at Captain rank...

But that problem pales in comparison to the larger ones going on, so it's not THAT big of a deal...
Starfleet Veteran
# 25 What does it matter
02-17-2013, 12:22 PM
So what does you're level/rank mean anyway. I mean at level 50 (VA), you get access to New Romulus, where the first thing you do is ensign work. I just look at it as a level number, not a rank.
Commander
# 26
02-21-2013, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tancrediiv View Post
Ah. The age old question. Why indeed are we all Vice Admirals?
The same reason why all Starfleet personnel start at the rank of Ensign, probably. Or maybe for the same reason why South American military dictatorships had more colonels than corporals. Or maybe because referring to tiers, number rankings or levels seemed too uninteresting to the developers.

In any case, I wouldn't mind the ranking of "Vice Admiral" as much if I could choose to be properly referred to by my chosen title or rank. I've always thought of myself more as a privateer/mercenary than an actual Starfleet captain.
Career Officer
# 27
02-21-2013, 09:24 AM
*Walks in*

Oh this thread...again.

*Walks back out*

Joined August 2009
Lieutenant
# 28
02-21-2013, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraserfish View Post
The same reason why all Starfleet personnel start at the rank of Ensign, probably. Or maybe for the same reason why South American military dictatorships had more colonels than corporals. Or maybe because referring to tiers, number rankings or levels seemed too uninteresting to the developers.

In any case, I wouldn't mind the ranking of "Vice Admiral" as much if I could choose to be properly referred to by my chosen title or rank. I've always thought of myself more as a privateer/mercenary than an actual Starfleet captain.

That's a good point - would be nice to add faction choices that give various relevant perks. Not just be a klingon or in starfleet
Commander
# 29
02-21-2013, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1ckbeard View Post
That's a good point - would be nice to add faction choices that give various relevant perks. Not just be a klingon or in starfleet
Well, even if you are part of Klingon or Starfleet, why can't you have the freedom to refer to yourself according to your own beliefs? What if said beliefs are integral to your race?

More Federation hypocrisy >=(

Even the Klingons are more likely to call you a warrior, which is at least acceptable.

Last edited by eraserfish; 02-21-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Ensign
# 30
02-21-2013, 12:59 PM
This is one of those things (along w/ the reasoning behind not raising the cap level to +50, player-ran planets/stations/colonies, opening up more of the quadrants for exploration via new content, and lockboxes) that I've been asking myself for awhile. Seeing a bunch of lvl 40-50 folks w/ admiral tags can dishearten a new player and also makes space a bit crowded w/ their over-inflated jalopies...