Captain
# 11
02-21-2013, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by issueman1 View Post
We get more ships, more lock boxes, more this and that... YET you still need to fix the double cursor bug (that now prohibits clicking of abilities and such), the fact invisitorps still instantly kill a tanked cruiser/carrier, and fighters decide to attack something on the OTHER SIDE of the map.

PLEASE FIX YOUR GAME
Let me put this in terms your primitive microbrain can understand.

THE TEAM
THAT SOLVES BUGS
DOES NOT
WORK ON
SHIPS

THE TEAM
THAT MAKES SHIPS
DOES NOT
WORK ON
BUGS

Comprehend? No?

You seem to have this ridiculous idea that the people who work at Cryptic are like, legos, and you can just pry them off making ships and put them to fixing bugs- but they aren't trained to fix bugs, or do that coding, or the like anymore than you are. If you took them off making ships... you'd have a bunch of guys sitting around doing nothing, and the bug fixing team fixing bugs.

You wouldn't have double the people fixing bugs.
Starfleet Veteran
# 12
02-21-2013, 06:40 AM
The team that makes ships should be able to fix any bugs having to do with their coding.

The team that solves bugs should stay away from ship coding because visuals are good now and based on current performance.....
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Captain
# 13
02-21-2013, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlaylierah View Post
The team that makes ships should be able to fix any bugs having to do with their coding.
Except that the ones making ships only plug values into fields. The ways those values are interpreted are mechanics oriented, which ship development teams have no control over. They are not programmers digging through code to find bugs. They decide how many foreward and aft weapon slots the ship will have, how many seats the ship will have, how many consoles of each type it will have. The model is designed and the skin is designed. That's ship design. So unless the bug has to do with the hardpoint where the weapons fire comes from, missing or mangled textures on the hull, or something wrong with the 3D model of the ship itself, then there is NOTHING the ship team can do about it.

Quote:
The team that solves bugs should stay away from ship coding because visuals are good now and based on current performance.....
Uhm... What?
I am of the opinion that Cryptic cannot because PWE will not...
Lieutenant
# 14
02-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Speaking as one with some programming experience, the work on new ships would mostly be done by artist types, not programmer types. A few exceptions would be unique consoles that require supporting code, possibly minor UI changes to accommodate a larger then normal number of weapon slots, and possibly ship interior connections. (Exactly how much code is needed, and if some of those actually need code changes, would depend on how good their dev tools are.)

Debugging a program as complex as this is cannot be easy, and if the programmers can't get a particular bug to occur for them, they might not be able to fix it. System configurations in the PC world vary so much that there could be bugs that only affect one out of a million people. Both software and hardware can interact with a program in unexpected ways. (And by software I mean any programs running on a particular computer, not just drivers, and including stuff you may not even realize is running.)
Starfleet Veteran
# 15
02-21-2013, 09:42 AM
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsitsalot View Post
Uhm... What?
I meant that if the people who are currently NOT actually solving the bugs were to be put on ship coding, they would NOT actually BE ship coding........
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Captain
# 16
02-21-2013, 09:57 AM
But the new ships give us all a slightly different perspective with which to experience those ever so exciting bugs!
All cloaks should be canon.
Community Moderator
# 17
02-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Quote:
I meant that if the people who are currently NOT actually solving the bugs were to be put on ship coding, they would NOT actually BE ship coding........
C coding experience is not a requirement for being a ship artist. Content art experience is not a requirement for being a game programmer.

Ships, for the most part, are not coded; they are drawn and modeled. It's a completely different skillset. Sometimes bits of them require code changes; those will likely tend to be the ones that take the longest to get done, because the programmers are busy squashing the many bugs that are squashed in every patch; not all of them listed in the notes explicitly, especially since sometimes fixing something the user sees actually involves squashing more than one bug.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Captain
# 18
02-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by illcadia View Post
Let me put this in terms your primitive microbrain can understand.

THE TEAM
THAT SOLVES BUGS
DOES NOT
WORK ON
SHIPS

THE TEAM
THAT MAKES SHIPS
DOES NOT
WORK ON
BUGS

Comprehend? No?

You seem to have this ridiculous idea that the people who work at Cryptic are like, legos, and you can just pry them off making ships and put them to fixing bugs- but they aren't trained to fix bugs, or do that coding, or the like anymore than you are. If you took them off making ships... you'd have a bunch of guys sitting around doing nothing, and the bug fixing team fixing bugs.

You wouldn't have double the people fixing bugs.
Keep up the good work. Someone has to explain things, not that it will help.
--------------------------------------

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
Captain
# 19
02-21-2013, 11:31 AM
I personally think that bug fixing should be a priority because having bugs and not trying to fix them is unprofessional and shows your lack of caring about the state of the game. I know their are some people that wont spend a cent on games if their are bugs and they are not fixed in a reasonable amount of time.

When I first started playing the game their was 2 missions "Second Wave" and "Boldly They Rode" that I had a hard time completing because of bugs that did not allow me to advance. Took many many tries before I was able to advance. I almost quit the game because of that. I had checked on stowiki and it said those bugs had been present for several months. That is unacceptable for such major bugs to be present for so long. Imagine how many people quit or refused to spend money on the game because of such bugs not being fixed for so long.

Happy players play more and spend more and players are happy when bugs are fixed in a timely manner and when they don't encounter bugs for long stretches. Also if a game has bugs fixed in a timely manner and don't encounter bugs in long stretches they might recommend the game to people they know. Their is nothing but positives to fixing bugs in a timely matter.
Captain
# 20
02-21-2013, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalericdavid View Post
I personally think that bug fixing should be a priority because having bugs and not trying to fix them is unprofessional and shows your lack of caring about the state of the game
I think you should take a course on what is actually involved in fixing bugs. Because it's not nearly as easy as you seem to think it is.

The fact that they only fix X bugs per patch does not mean that they don't care or aren't doing their job.