Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Cryptic Studios Team
# 11
02-21-2013, 12:11 PM
We have located the source of both the Shield Scaling and Heal Scaling issues, which was being caused by an interaction with our Squad Leader system (the auto-level adjustments used to alter your relative effectiveness in content that is higher or lower level than yourself), and the ship-based items/powers that allow that system to work.

Turns out, it was working a little TOO well for Andorian ships.

A fix has been submitted to QA for review. We're very sorry for the inconvenience!

As a potential up-side, the ship's damage output is unaffected by this bug, since weapons scale with their individual level instead of the ship's. So even though it's risky, you can still potentially be an asset to teams while flying this vessel before we can push the bug fix out, as long as you don't mind having fragile shields and subpar healing (two areas this ship wasn't designed to excel in, anyway).
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Career Officer
# 12
02-21-2013, 12:13 PM
I know since STO went F2P - except for the Ody, new C-Store ships don't get a testing by the playerbase on Tribble before they go live; but I really think Cryptic NEEDS to have A system in place where players CAN test and report ship bugs on Tribble (and I'm not talking balance issues; although I'm sure they'd have feedback on that aspect too) so they can be corrected (or at least identified and work started on correcting such bugs) before you put them up in the Store (or lockboxes) for real cash.

It really seems that some people at Cryptic have the attitude - "This stuff is simple, it's not a big change; what could really go wrong" <--- And that comes from the way major issues and bugs that hurt the game (how many new players do you think gave up the game when they finished the tutorial and found they couldn't slot any Boffs in their new ship?)

I'm not trying to single out anyone individual per se - but the one thing that seems to come across with regards to patches and release is; if it doesn't outright crash the server - go ahead and push it Live. I haven't seen a situation were you guys put something on Tribble and 6 hours later pushed it live; but I have to say that the current:

Put it on Tribble Monday or Tuesday and push it Live Thursday (IMO) isn't conducive to showing to really want player testing or player feedback. If you pushed something Monday or Tuesday and pushed it Live Thursday of the NEXT week (IE leaving it on Tribble for at least a week to nine days - and maybe getting one further Tribble iteration on the patch in that week <-- That would seem a better systemic approach. (And yes stuff will till slip through, but at least you have time to react to a major bug/issue that you see on Tribble.

Yes, we players want things fast; but we also want things that work right on the day they're released. The issue here isn't one of Cryptic devs or QA being lazy; it's a systemic issue where the system in place wants new things pushed fast above all else.

How many times do we have to see this type of release situation before upper management changes the system so that the Devs and QA have the actual time and ability to do what they are paid to do. In the 3 years STO's been on-line; the situation where something is released broken is (unfortunately) more the norm than the exception; and that's (IMO) due to the way their current patch release procedure is structured.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Career Officer
# 13
02-21-2013, 12:16 PM
ah poo, i was hoping it would take longer than 1 day to find this bug hahaha.

Good job though guys, that was really fast.
Career Officer
# 14
02-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
I know since STO went F2P - except for the Ody, new C-Store ships don't get a testing by the playerbase on Tribble before they go live; but I really think Cryptic NEEDS to have A system in place where players CAN test and report ship bugs on Tribble (and I'm not talking balance issues; although I'm sure they'd have feedback on that aspect too) so they can be corrected (or at least identified and work started on correcting such bugs) before you put them up in the Store (or lockboxes) for real cash.

I had a chat with Branflakes about this back in November during the Vesta testing when I interviewed him. The big reason why the public testing of ships on Tribble stopped was the fact that 99% of the feedback they got about the ships was people just going "looks cool, I'd buy it," with a very minimal amount of people going and actually attempting to test the ships. Personally, I'd like to see if they did more testing like they did with the Vesta series, with a group of players who they know will put the ship through its paces and attempt to find any bugs it may have.

EDIT: The interview in question can be found here.

The opinions expressed in my posts are not necessarily those of my employer or Subspace Radio.
PS: My show is actually at 0200 GMT these days. I really need to dig up the PSD for that signature and redo it.
Career Officer
# 15
02-21-2013, 12:22 PM
Building three ships with all those lines of code is a relatively difficult thing to do.

Having someone look at the ships after completion and comparing what it's modifiers and values are and what its cooldowns are and compare it to what the designer(s) have decided what they should be is not hard at all.

The player base can mouse over and read a tooltip. Why is it so hard for the devs to do the same?
Most JJ Trek hate = IDIC fail.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS
Career Officer
# 16
02-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordagamemnonb5 View Post
Building three ships with all those lines of code is a relatively difficult thing to do.

Having someone look at the ships after completion and comparing what it's modifiers and values are and what its cooldowns are and compare it to what the designer(s) have decided what they should be is not hard at all.

The player base can mouse over and read a tooltip. Why is it so hard for the devs to do the same?
I have to agree 100%, it's not hard to do, and when talking about an item that is 5000 Zen aka $50.00 there is no excuse.
Starfleet Veteran
# 17
02-21-2013, 12:44 PM
When you fix this, please fix the wing cannons too...i cannot discard/sell them...they waste inventory space for me
Career Officer
# 18
02-21-2013, 12:46 PM
This is all in line with Cryptic's unwritten 'have the players pay us to do our testing' law.
----
Career Officer
# 19
02-21-2013, 01:14 PM
yep there is a shield hull repair issue with ship i did cure space normal was almost a one shot i have maco 12 sheil fleet combat enging fleet deflector
i know this is new ship but why allmost every new ship why does qa miss this one
Ensign
# 20
02-21-2013, 01:24 PM
Out of curiousity, is this same bug affecting the wing cannon platforms? One beam array hit in The Cure Found (Normal) dropped a shield facing and did 30% hull damage. I don't even think the Peregrine fighters were that fragile.