Career Officer
I'm getting rather bored with doing the same stuff over and over on my VA level captain.

So, for a change of pace, I'd like to roll a Science Captain and try something different.

But I'm not really interested in doing this with the standard race options, so I was never really motivated to roll a new Captain.

Then I heard that that they're planning to release Ocampans as a playable race for Starfleet.
This would be interesting to play as, so I immediately made plans to make one when they become available.

But so far, I haven't heard of a release date yet.

Does anyone have a timeframe?
Or can the Devs please state one?

And to forestall the inevitable comments/debates, no I'm not making an "imitation" Ocampan with Custom Alien.
It has to be the real thing, not a cheap knockoff.
Also, the psychic CA traits are rather pointless, I tried them once, felt rather underwhelmed.
Hopefully Ocampan will do better ones!
Ensign
# 2
02-21-2013, 01:02 PM
I'd like to see this myself tied into a possible jaunt into the delta quadrant and possibly some new adventures/missions to boot...
Captain
# 3
02-21-2013, 01:24 PM
As far as I know, There is no hard date on Ocampas/Talaxians/Kazons being added to the game. I am not even sure they are definitely being added, from Cryptics standpoint.

It is entirely possible that, much like the Denobulans, they are testing the waters so to speak to see if there is even an interest.

That said, I have to agree with the above poster. I don't see any of these races getting the "Must haves" that warrant working on them until we get more delta quadrant stuff. Which, from what I can gather from minor developer comments (and maybe a magic eight ball or two) is still very far away.

I wouldn't expect to see them any time soon, though I two would love to have an Ocampa captain that wasn't an Alien.
Captain
# 4
02-21-2013, 01:50 PM
I'm all for more races and customisation for both factions in-game.

You might have noticed this already, but there is an Ocampan NPC at Earth Space Dock - Linnea, the secretary to Admiral Quinn.

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots
Survivor of Remus
# 5
02-21-2013, 02:21 PM
I don't even see how an Ocampa captain could survive long enough to even attain any sort of notable command. 9 years ain't a lot of time when 3-4 of that's training at the Academy.
Captain
# 6
02-21-2013, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squatsauce View Post
I don't even see how an Ocampa captain could survive long enough to even attain any sort of notable command. 9 years ain't a lot of time when 3-4 of that's training at the Academy.
Unless, of course, the game lore makes an ass pull and states that the Ocampans somehow gained a more "normal" lifespan by using Federation-provided life-extension technology (similar to the nascene Suspiria).

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots
Commander
# 7
02-21-2013, 03:00 PM
Funny you should say that.

Quote:
Besides the shape of their ears, Ocampa look like Humans. Ocampa are a telepathic species and have a short lifespan compared to Humans, typically less then a decade. However, individuals have survived into their twenties with the assistance of non-Ocampan technology.
Source: http://www.stowiki.org/Ocampa

Remember, by the age of 1, they've already attained full knowledge of how to speak, write, read, and have fully grown adult bodies. They literally cut out the entire first 18 years of a human's lifespan and cut right to the chase.

[Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.
Survivor of Remus
# 8
02-21-2013, 03:31 PM
I'm gonna be honest. I'm always happy for players to have more choices. I also think that the Ocampa are some of the most poorly designed aliens to appear in Star Trek. Even more than the Pakled. I'm not joking. Still, sure, let's add them in somewhere.
Career Officer
# 9
02-21-2013, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squatsauce View Post
You can't compare Ocampan time to human time, they're different ways of measuring.

Simply put, an Ocampan has an accelerated learning capacity compared to a human, which you would need if your maximum life expectancy is 9 years.

What would take a human 4 years would probably take an Ocampan no more then 3 months.

And yes, they're going to have to handwave the lifespan issue somehow.
I mean, your Ocampan Captain isn't exactly going to age, are they?
So they could say something along the lines of current medical technology halted the Ocampan aging process.

Well, for a time anyway, it wouldn't exactly stop it, but it would slow it down to what humans consider normal.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-21-2013, 05:29 PM
An Ocampan playable would be intersting...but as a lot of the posts say there would have to be a medical breakthrough..which who knows..it might have been achived given the new tech advancedments