Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Starfleet Veteran
# 81
02-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussultimatum View Post
IIRC, when the most recent balance pass happened consoles (plas leech) and pets (sipohons) were set to not be resisted as strongly as BOFF powers.

It was explained that this was because they (and I'm paraphrasing) 'have an opportunity cost' slotting them.

I'm not sure why BOFF powers aren't considered to have an opportunity cost, it didn't make much sense to me then and it doesn't make much sense now.
I don't understand the 'opportunity cost' theory with siphon drones either? Yeah, I get that plas leech takes up a console slot but Siphon Drones don't, however. So there is no opportunity cost, in fact, for Siphon Drones because they are hanger pets which is a totally different animal than a console. It's hard for me to dismiss the effectiveness of drones compared to any of their counterparts mountable on the Vo'Quv anyway. I fail to see how it's an opportunity cost given such limited choices for what's actually decent that can be substituted on a Vo'Quv.

Last edited by rooster75; 02-20-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Career Officer
# 82
02-20-2013, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster75 View Post
I don't understand the 'opportunity cost' theory with siphon drones either? Yeah, I get that plas leech takes up a console slot but Siphon Drones don't, however. So there is no opportunity cost, in fact, for Siphon Drones because they are hanger pets which is a totally different animal than a console. It's hard for me to dismiss the effectiveness of drones compared to any of their counterparts mountable on the Vo'Quv anyway. I fail to see how it's an opportunity cost given such limited choices for what's actually decent that can be substituted on a Vo'Quv.

Sorry, again working from memory I think the idea was that you give up "damage" pets to be able to slot siphons.

Except, as anyone realizes, no one is slotting pets for their pitiful damage in PvP.

Commander
# 83
02-21-2013, 07:16 AM
That pets have all of these extra procs and powers, and that those procs and powers even come close to comparing to those used by players, is a serious problem. Procs are chance based for a reason. Powers have cool downs for a reason. Allowing pets, something you can flood the screen with, to increase the chances of a proc or a power being applied is incredibly difficult to balance for.

I'd be interested in seeing what might happen if their proc chances were reduced drastically and their abilities were only a fraction of a player's own tier 1 version. Pets would still be useful they just wouldn't be as silly as they are now.
Rihannsu
# 84
02-22-2013, 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehale View Post
That pets have all of these extra procs and powers, and that those procs and powers even come close to comparing to those used by players, is a serious problem. Procs are chance based for a reason. Powers have cool downs for a reason. Allowing pets, something you can flood the screen with, to increase the chances of a proc or a power being applied is incredibly difficult to balance for.

I'd be interested in seeing what might happen if their proc chances were reduced drastically and their abilities were only a fraction of a player's own tier 1 version. Pets would still be useful they just wouldn't be as silly as they are now.
agreed, hence this rant against siphon drones rubs me the wrong way. Popping smurfs in FvK all dy yesterday, not once did i see siphon drones, let alone drain teams. In every match Fed Spam outnumbered KDF spam, with danoobs being number one offender.

Sorry OP, but you are really barking up the wrong tree here.
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013
Captain
# 85
02-22-2013, 01:25 AM
Actually, going up against drain teams is becoming a very common occurrence lately. Especially a certain fleet who do it for "fun" purposes all day everyday.
Rihannsu
# 86
02-22-2013, 01:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naz4 View Post
Actually, going up against drain teams is becoming a very common occurrence lately. Especially a certain fleet who do it for "fun" purposes all day everyday.
looking at the smurf and the vesta, i can't blame them anymore. FvK arena has turned into SB24. Every single arena is filled with fed spam, want to balance some faction specific content? How about starting there. Siphon drones were adjusted, working as intended.
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013
Career Officer
# 87
02-22-2013, 01:47 AM
lol those fail carrier teams have no right to turn FvK into a mockery.

These clowns have been doing it for ages; they do it because they can and because not everyone can run an anti-siphon build.

They try to fight on even terms and they get waxed, just like all of the lolspam failteams I've ***** with my pugmades.

Click here and here if you are interested in learning more about PvP.